View Poll Results: Have you gone to the movie theater alone?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - and I don't mind!

31 55.36%
  • Yes - but it was relucantly I had no one to go with.

5 8.93%
  • No - but I wouldn't care.

12 21.43%
  • No - going to the movies alone is boring/weird!

8 14.29%
  • I don't care/no preference.

0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Have you gone to the movie theater alone?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shaibana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    a movie ticket every other month isn't really something that makes a noticable impact on my finances, so i don't care particularly much
    its not about the money, but about the thought behind it. the respect of saying: '' you have already payed 2-3x, let me pay for the movie now''
    That's silly. You bide your time and build up your favours until you really need something big and then guilt trip them
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Yeah. "I've now paid for you to see a movie per month for a decade. You owe me an £840 PC. Chop chop!"
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've done this plenty of times. I don't really understand why it's awkward for people. I watched all the original LOTR films twice when they were out at the cinema. Once with then girlfriends and once on my own. There have been countless others I've watched on my tod too.

I don't see the cinema as a particularly social event. Anyone who suggests this as a first date venue is a bit strange, I feel.

Now people eating out at restaurants on their own is a bit different. I find that a little weird.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I'll go alone if I can't get a hold of anyone that wants to go, but generally I ask people if they want to go. Sometimes I'm invited as well. I like that experience of leaving the theater excited and having someone to talk with about the movie on the ride home.

Also

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaibana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    a movie ticket every other month isn't really something that makes a noticable impact on my finances, so i don't care particularly much
    its not about the money, but about the thought behind it. the respect of saying: '' you have already payed 2-3x, let me pay for the movie now''
    Nah, I just know I have friends that aren't assholes. It all works out in the end even if we don't keep track.

And if it really isn't about the money, why do my friends have to pay me back in things that cost money? Can't they give me other things instead?
    Last edited by Mirage; 05-27-2014 at 12:00 AM.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I don't see the cinema as a particularly social event. Anyone who suggests this as a first date venue is a bit strange, I feel.
    A theater for a first date is great. Take your date to the theater when an Adam Sandler or Rob Schneider film is out and see how they liked it. You can then you can dismiss them without wasting further dates on them determining whether or not you are compatible.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    A theater for a first date is great. Take your date to the theater when an Adam Sandler or Rob Schneider film is out and see how they liked it. You can then you can dismiss them without wasting further dates on them determining whether or not you are compatible.
    Haha, I like the strategy!

Nah, I much prefer to get to know a girl on a first date. Cinema isn't particularly conducive to that. Definitely for a 2nd or 3rd date though. By then I'd feel comfortable having a furtive fondle in the dark.

Blog Entries

Also if theyre the type of person who talks loudly during a film you can ditch them immediately.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

The Nerd Who Knows Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yep. I do all the time. Probably about once a month. Mostly because I don't have anyone to go with.

But I still enjoy it. Twenty bucks for a ticket, popcorn, and a coke. It gets me by.

<PaperStar> live fast, die young, bad plefs do it well

I have no problem with doing this, although I haven't yet. There was a movie I was gonna go see because I knew no one else would want to, but I haven't bothered yet.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm with BoB on this one. For me, the movie experience has to be just right. Popcorn (salted, always), a soft drink, and at least one person sitting beside me.

If any one of those elements are missing, then something's gone wrong and I simply won't enjoy it as much. It's for this reason that I really haven't been to the cinema that often. There's been films I've wanted to watch, but I couldn't find, or more specifically, pluck the courage up to ask someone to, watch it with me. Therefore, I've gone without.

I have Sam now though, and he's equally eager to take people to films. He's the reason why I just recently got into the X-Men films and I saw Days of Future Past in cinema; a film I'd never think to watch!

I do.

My friends don't live close by, and our schedules don't sync. Also, if I go to the movies it's because I want to watch and enjoy the movie; some times having some one with you can be distracting.