Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Watership Down

Anyone else see this movie or read the book? It was fantastic

Brutal, soul destroying, heart wrenching. But fantastic.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Rabbits can be assholes. Just sayin'

I haven't seen it since I was a kid, but it left quite an impression on me. It was very mature and pulled no punches. Much respect for that. Especially considering the movie was animated. People typically think animation should strickly be rainbows and butterflies and I appreciate anything that goes against that grain. It helps when it's really good too

I've owned the book for a very long time, but never got around to reading it

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have, love and own the movie, but have yet to read the book. It is a beautifully drawn movie that is in my opinion great for all ages. Despite half the people online acting like it's a horror movie just because some rabbits die, and the other half acting like it's a silly kiddy film with rabbits.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Never saw it or read it.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MJN SEIFER View Post
    I have, love and own the movie, but have yet to read the book. It is a beautifully drawn movie that is in my opinion great for all ages. Despite half the people online acting like it's a horror movie just because some rabbits die, and the other half acting like it's a silly kiddy film with rabbits.
    It's due to the more graphic, in your face nature of how the conflicts were presented.

You have to remember the time it was made. The late 1970's. As you said, a lot of people regarded animated films as silly fun movies or sweet movies aimed more at children (Disney and Warner Brothers). While animated movies with death and suffering had already been made, it's hard to name another one that was so brutally honest about it. The idea of an animated film that had a lot of mature content was pretty new. The surprising nature helped convey the desired emotions to the audience. They weren't expecting something like it.

I wanted to watch the movie when I was about fourteen years old, but my dad- even at that age-was like

heeeeeeeeeell no

read the book.

However the book was dusty from sitting in the garage for years and just made me feel sick, so haven't really read the movie all that much. I was confused by why my pops would refuse to let me watch a animated movie, but seeing some of the clips of it on Youtube, can understand his reasons.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

This is one of my all-time favorite books and I make a point to read it every few years. I first read it when I was 12 so that means I've probably read it a good 7 or 8 times by now - at least. In fact, it's the only book I've actually "read through" - i.e. the book's spine snapped mid-reading one time because I had read it so much. I held it together and kept reading. Now I own it in hardcover, though!

Oddly enough I did not like the film. This is a book that really needs to be done as a TV series, Game of Thrones style. The translation to a ~90 minute film missed too much of what made the book work, IMO.

I have a dream that someday they'll make a mini-series where the bulk of it is done in gorgeous computer animation and then the El-ahrairah stories are done in gorgeous traditional animation.

(To all those saying they have seen the film and not read the book - please read the book. I am not normally a ~book purist~ over this type of thing but Watership Down just works soooooo, so much better as a book.)
    Last edited by Pike; 05-29-2014 at 10:50 AM.

I haven't watched it, or read much of the books to know if anything is good or comparable in either regard, but Redwall was turned into an animated series. So I guess it's possible you could someday get what you want. I really should re-acquire the book oneday

Articles
    Blog Entries

Never heard of it.