Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most memorable gaming intros

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

Default Most memorable gaming intros

So we have all played those games with a truly unforgettable intro, in one way or another (be it a game screen before you press the start button *looks at Zelda OOT*) and they stick with you, even long after the game itself has faded from your (by your I mean mine, my memory is terrible lol) memory.

Here I would ask you what is your most memorable intro to a game, you don't have to limit yourself to one.

For me one of the most memorable game intros has to be Shadow of the Colossus:

You, a lone man, traverses a vast beautiful land that is hauntingly devoid of life, as you make your way to a beautiful old temple... one of the best intros I have seen by far.

I could name several others but I would rather leave them till later and see what everyone else has to say.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

LoZ was the first game to have a great intro. Metroids was cool. Very moody.But the best belongs to the best:

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Suikoden III intro is AMAZING and the best one I've seen

This one is probably because of the music but I do like it as a character intro

Blog Entries

Half life and not just because I played the first chapter so many times because I kept giving up and restarting a few months later
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

I don't know about an opening or title screen, but as far as legit introductory sequences go, the first bits of The Last of Us and Xenoblade Chronicles were pretty intense when they set the stage. But something tells me you're not talking about sequences you play through

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Yeah, it's time for some Vvardenfeels up in here

Still gives me chills every time

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Vagrant Story. I've yet to play the game in its entirety, but I have seen the introductory scenes. It's kinda lame that you can not even know of their existence, as they're pretty story heavy. But by God, if they aren't amazing.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

FFVII and FFVIII stand out for me. A good shout for Shadow of the Colossus too.

One of my all time favourites was Megaman 2 though. The way it pans up that huge building then has that long descending note before the amazing music kicks in and Megaman is just stood there looking awesome in the wind.

Dun, da-da-dun, da-da-der-da, derrrrr!!!!

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by shion View Post
    Suikoden III intro is AMAZING and the best one I've seen

Seeing that reminds me of this:

Definitely my favourite Breath of Fire game.

And then there is this:

Such an amazing sequence, like a mini anction movie that really hypes me up to play the game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Gotta echo the mentions of FFVIII and FFXII. Lost Odyssey, too. And Far Cry 3! Being introduced to Vaas in a matter of a minute or so? Yes, please. Guy's one of my favourite villians of all time.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Chrono Trigger. The cutscene is good, but I also love the simplicity of the clock. Take your pick.

Persona 3. Because it sets up the game perfectly, and has some brilliant foreshadowing and music.

Master of Orion 2. I just really like this one. It's not as story heavy as Alpha Centauri's is, but it does serve up great as a "welcome to this world" moment, not to mention a decent taste of how the Antarans are out to kill everyone.

Megman Zero. Good setup building into that moment when you get Zero's awakening and the return of that utterly awesome musical theme from Megaman X.

Rune Factory 3. My gosh, I love this video. It just summarizes the game really well to me. It captures the fighting, the transformations, the bachelorettes, and the huge importance of forming bonds and relationships. Plus it has an awesome song.

Metroid Prime. Music, use of color and tone (even in the gameplay video choice). The way you'd shift to different parts of the Metroid while browsing different sub-menus (which I loved). Ah, before Nintendo chose to ruin the series. They basically wrote Prime out of continuity, and they even ruined this music when they put it in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Why, Nintendo?! Why?!

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles. The game wasn't perfect. But this intro? Awesome. This is what made me first think that a Final Fantasy MMO was possible.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

I love that song. An instrumental plays during a couple of fights in the game too.

Articles
    Blog Entries

MGS2 gets me pumped up every time I listen to it and Crystal Chronicles opening is just beautiful.

This stuck with me because of all the "holy trout" moments featured in it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

That was a good Mortal Kombat.

The Witcher 2 title screen and music is so epic, drives home what a polished blockbuster production they made that time around. Just hearing the music my fiance turned to me like "holy trout, what the hell are you watching?"

My favorite gameplay intros are FFVII and Metal Gear Solid 4, how they start with an impressive cut scene only for you to take control basically in the middle of it, with no camera breaks. FFVII introduced the technique to gaming and Metal Gear has made some of the best use of it.

Also Uncharted 2. That segment just announces the game you're about to play will be an unforgettable experience.