Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FFX was the prequel to this, Really?

it is just a reference and lmao at fan theories

lmao at you

lmao at you reading this. lmao at your life choices that led you to this moment. lmao

I'd like to believe it's true but it just doesn't match up.

The most solid evidence being yeah, Cid's rocket being supposedly the first rocket that would go into space. That's quite an integral part of VII because every main character in the game has their own reason and their own story about why they hate the Shinra. So you can't just shrug it off, really.

I liken it to the IX reference to Cloud. 'i knew a guy with spikey hair who used a sword like this' or whatever he said. How could Zidane of actually known Cloud, did he travel to another world? Another dimension? Back/forward in time?

It's just a playful kind of nod, but I don't think in regards to the story it has any truth to it.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by black orb View Post

From Final Fantasy VII Ultimania Omega:[1]

“Shinra is a boy who supports the Gullwings, the group which the main protagonist, Yuna, belongs to. He carries a name that gives him an association to the Shin-Ra Company, and he is researching a method that could utilize the energy of "the life force that flows through our planet." The results of this cannot be seen in FFX-2, but maybe one day his descendants will establish a "company that supplies the energy of the planet"?”

In the Final Fantasy X-2 Ultimania Kazushige Nojima said the following:[1]

“After quitting the Gullwings, Shinra received enormous financial support from Rin, and began trying to use Vegnagun to siphon Mako Energy from the Farplane. But, he is unable to complete the system for utilizing this energy in his generation, and in the future, when traveling to distant planets becomes possible, the Shin-Ra Company is founded on another world, or something like that....... That would happen about 1000 years after this story, I think.”

>>> Source..
    That makes a bit more sense than when I heard VII and X share the same planet. The only part that doesn't make sense is that he uses Vegnagun to siphon mako energy when you destroy Vegnagun at the end of the game.

Edit: Oh wait, it doesn't. If space travel was already possible when Shinra's company arrived on VII's planet, then why was Cid making a big deal about trying to make it to space?

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    Edit: Oh wait, it doesn't. If space travel was already possible when Shinra's company arrived on VII's planet, then why was Cid making a big deal about trying to make it to space?
    The study of planet life is a cycle of rebirth. Just because Gaians don't know what happened long ago doesn't mean it didn't happen. Also the idea is not fleshed out, the connection is just made. It is canonically one universe with the same elements but basically everything about that is open except what was mentioned (notice the words "or something like that"). The story about the Cetra can happen and the humans as well as that the lifestream, already contains the memories of a being that knew how to use Lifestream energy for efficient work and later this is reflected by someone founding the Shinra Company which also found out again how it can be used. He is the main writer of both Final Fantasys, after all - together with Yoshinori Kitase, mainly however he writes those things down how they are in the end.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 05-31-2014 at 02:17 PM.

So it's kind of like...it would be set over a MASSIVE time scale, unbelievably long. And (we'll just call them humans for now) the humans, in the time between X and VII, got into space, founded other planets, lived there, and lived there so long that they forgot they had ever come from other planets? (Maybe due to some massive destructive event.)

It's plausible, I suppose. One of the main themes of so many Final Fantasy games is the idea of technology going bad and destroying everything, thus why so many of the games are set in this kind of post apocalyptic world in which everything is run down and back to ancient times kind of, but with some leftover technology still being used etc.

It's a cool idea though. I'd go in for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alive-Man View Post
    So it's kind of like...it would be set over a MASSIVE time scale, unbelievably long. And (we'll just call them humans for now) the humans, in the time between X and VII, got into space, founded other planets, lived there, and lived there so long that they forgot they had ever come from other planets? (Maybe due to some massive destructive event.)

It's plausible, I suppose. One of the main themes of so many Final Fantasy games is the idea of technology going bad and destroying everything, thus why so many of the games are set in this kind of post apocalyptic world in which everything is run down and back to ancient times kind of, but with some leftover technology still being used etc.

It's a cool idea though. I'd go in for it.
    It is nothing that unbelievable if we think of what Bugenhagen and Lucrecia tell us about being reborn. No one on Gaia remembers a life from before. There is only one person in the whole universe that is able to retain his self, his consciousness while being dead and being able to come back because of that and that is Sephiroth (the Cetra are similiar but cannot make a self-initiiated rebirth like Sephiroth can do with his Reunion where he just reforms his body and animates it with himself again).

what?! I haven't really thought about this, but I think in the realm of final fantasy that this is could entirely be possible. However, I would have to agree with Shauna.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    I think it's a silly little theory, and it's nice that the creators give a wink-wink-nudge-nudge to it, but that's all it really is in my mind. :3

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Valentine View Post
    what?! I haven't really thought about this, but I think in the realm of final fantasy that this is could entirely be possible. However, I would have to agree with Shauna.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    I think it's a silly little theory, and it's nice that the creators give a wink-wink-nudge-nudge to it, but that's all it really is in my mind. :3
    Final Fantasy is multiversally connected anyway - already shown with Gilgamesh's entry in Final Fantasy XII so some of them having the same universe is really nothing big and actually pretty cool.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    So what are people's thoughts on the revelation that this game is a distant prequel to FFX? Does it bother you,do you love the idea of it, or could you care less?
    I just do what I do for most of the FFX games and the Compilation: ignore it.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

It's just trout-tier fanfiction, except written by some douche at SE. I don't give a damn about it.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    It's just trout-tier fanfiction, except written by some douche at SE. I don't give a damn about it.
    The one who wrote the overall story of both Final Fantasys.

And of course SB's new comment in this thread just add more wrong claims.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 06-02-2014 at 06:23 PM.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

yeah, that makes it worse, not better

I'm willing to bet a good sum of money that he was very drunk at the time
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Ancients were described as a migrant people who traveled to settle the Planet and that one day they would find the Promised Land. This has always been interpreted as meaning a species wandering a world and keeping it calm (I guess) until "those who disliked the journey appeared, ceased the migration, and built shelters, electing to lead easier lives." If you think of them as a race that traveled from planet to planet, settling just long enough to study the solar system before moving on, it's possible their advanced technology could have been destroyed due to the arrival of Jenova.

Of course X has no materia as the world exists prior to the foundation of ShinRa which invented the process of crystallizing the Lifestream upon observation by scientists that the energy found in rare "springs" such as on Mt. Nibel could be replicated and "streamlined".
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I saw it as nothing more than a reference and would rather it stay that way. I don't like the games overlapping into each other in the main entries. Yes, I know they did it with XII, I don't care. I still think it's stupid.

Spheres as Materia makes sense. Materia allows the use of magic because it contains the knowledge of the Ancients. So the Ancients (the people of Spira) could clearly use magic without Materia, and Spheres are just Spheres. Repositories of knowledge, but not power. The Dress spheres were the first spheres to harness that knowledge to unlock abilities. Materia evolved from there.

"We've found a 10,000 year Ancient buried in a geological strata!"
    *Insert Laughing Scene Here*

That would have sort of changed FFVII, wouldn't it?

But, yeah, no. I don't care what the writers say. It's a terrible retcon, and one I'm going to ignore. Along with 90% of the Compilation.