Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FFX was the prequel to this, Really?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

:monster: FFX was the prequel to this, Really?

So what are people's thoughts on the revelation that this game is a distant prequel to FFX? Does it bother you,do you love the idea of it, or could you care less?

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I thought FFX was the prequel? Either way it doesn't change anything to me really. I still look at the games as completely separate.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_ffgamer View Post
    I thought FFX was the prequel?
    >>> Same here, Shinra said something about using Pyreflies as a form of energy in the future, just like Mako..
    Do I care if the games are connected? not at all..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Wait, what?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_ffgamer View Post
    I thought FFX was the prequel? Either way it doesn't change anything to me really. I still look at the games as completely separate.
    You are correct, I apparently need to get some more sleep. Can a mod change the title for me?

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Quin View Post
    Wait, what?
    Yeah, this is my smurfing reaction as well. Does not compute.

(changed the title for you, wolfie )

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

NOTHING TO SEE, PLEASE DISCUSS SEQUEL.

SARAH DO NOT DO THINGS THAT I AM DOING GOSH I NEVER GET TO HAVE FUN.

Signature by rubah. I think.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

Both Final Fantasy VII Ultimania Omega and the Final Fantasy X-2 Ultimania, suggest that Shinra of Final Fantasy X-2 has a connection to the company of the same name in Final Fantasy VII.

From Final Fantasy VII Ultimania Omega:[1]

“Shinra is a boy who supports the Gullwings, the group which the main protagonist, Yuna, belongs to. He carries a name that gives him an association to the Shin-Ra Company, and he is researching a method that could utilize the energy of "the life force that flows through our planet." The results of this cannot be seen in FFX-2, but maybe one day his descendants will establish a "company that supplies the energy of the planet"?”

In the Final Fantasy X-2 Ultimania Kazushige Nojima said the following:[1]

“After quitting the Gullwings, Shinra received enormous financial support from Rin, and began trying to use Vegnagun to siphon Mako Energy from the Farplane. But, he is unable to complete the system for utilizing this energy in his generation, and in the future, when traveling to distant planets becomes possible, the Shin-Ra Company is founded on another world, or something like that....... That would happen about 1000 years after this story, I think.”

>>> Source..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

IMO it just makes it easier to pretend that FF10-2 doesn't exist.

If I have to consider it valid, then I would say it is absolutely deplorable. It smells like bad fanfiction writing, trying to shoehorn in as many connections as possible to stamp it's mark. But that's what I think of the majority of the Compilation.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post

If I have to consider it valid, then I would say it is absolutely deplorable. It smells like bad fanfiction writing, trying to shoehorn in as many connections as possible to stamp it's mark. But that's what I think of the majority of the Compilation.
    This is worse than bad fanfiction writing in my opinion. I've never played FFX but I have seen it before, and it has very little in common with FFVII. There's no materia, summons don't work the same, there's no real lifestream, it contradicts the fact that Shin-ra never actually made it to space because they found mako to be profitable after their prototype rocket never made it off the ground, and in general it's just plain incompatible with FFVII because if you think about it really hard, there's just too many differences and too many plot holes which can't just be handwaved.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I put it in the same place as the Squall's Dead theory, a very interesting thought that gives another perspective on the game. Feels more like a "head canon" than the real thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Newmani View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post

This is worse than bad fanfiction writing in my opinion. I've never played FFX but I have seen it before, and it has very little in common with FFVII. There's no materia, summons don't work the same, there's no real lifestream, it contradicts the fact that Shin-ra never actually made it to space because they found mako to be profitable after their prototype rocket never made it off the ground, and in general it's just plain incompatible with FFVII because if you think about it really hard, there's just too many differences and too many plot holes which can't just be handwaved.
    It has all in common as it is canonical to each other within one universe and Spheres and Materia are pretty much the same thing as well as the substance of Farplane and Lifestream are the same. A creator stating an idea that directly but still just calling it an "idea" does not automatically mean it is just an idea (even though being nitpicky other possibilities would still be given) but a statement of something as it actually is, just like Dumbledore's sexuality is a fact even though it was stated as "thought of" instead of "he is". In fact many creators state their facts like that and as long as it does not get to much into theory such as "probably, probably, probably" that is okay. And the study of planet life fits very well to Spira as well as Dirge of Cerberus' explanation of Omega's journey through the universe to give life to a planet. Final Fantasy X is seperate story-wise but in the same universe. The idea is just not totally fleshed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Alive-Man View Post
    It's just a playful kind of nod, but I don't think in regards to the story it has any truth to it.
    Exactly the opposite is the case and no one said the Gaians knew anything about the Spiran life before. Canon is canon, it really is that simple. Zidane's comment is a gag but this connection about the story was made intentionally.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 05-31-2014 at 01:19 PM.

yea theres no way they reused names

p.s all the cids are the same guy

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I think it's a silly little theory, and it's nice that the creators give a wink-wink-nudge-nudge to it, but that's all it really is in my mind. :3

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'd call it a reference.