Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Elves

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Elves are always pompous assholes. They deserve to be banned from the series.

They also just wouldn't fit in well with the more modern/futuristic look of more recent FF games.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Anyone else notice this is the only game to feature Elves as another race cohabiting with Dwarves and Humans? So let's discuss how elves are assholes and got banned from being good guys for the rest of the series.
    It was because FF1 was a tribute to/rip-off of D&D. Hence the day-charge spell system, the elves and dwarves, the sahagin and mind-flayers, the Lich and Maralith, Tiamat and Bahamut, the monk class, the mythril and adamantite, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by theundeadhero View Post
    It was originally called a silver sword and silver is expensive
    I could've sworn it was only changed to silver for the western releases.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by CAST VOX View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Anyone else notice this is the only game to feature Elves as another race cohabiting with Dwarves and Humans? So let's discuss how elves are assholes and got banned from being good guys for the rest of the series.
    It was because FF1 was a tribute to/rip-off of D&D. Hence the day-charge spell system, the elves and dwarves, the sahagin and mind-flayers, the Lich and Maralith, Tiamat and Bahamut, the monk class, the mythril and adamantite, etc.

It was originally called a silver sword and silver is expensive
    I could've sworn it was only changed to silver for the western releases.
    Don't forget the Eye or Phantom was originally called Beholder, which looked like the D&D Beholder. I don't remember if they HAD TO change it before releasing it in the US, or if they just decided to on their own to evade legal issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    Don't forget the Eye or Phantom was originally called Beholder, which looked like the D&D Beholder. I don't remember if they HAD TO change it before releasing it in the US, or if they just decided to on their own to evade legal issues.
    Wizards of the Coast is very serious about legal matters, so it's probably both.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Back then D&D was owned by TSR but I don't know how they felt about such things.

Back then D&D was owned by TSR but I don't know how they felt about such things.
    They didn't mind anywhere near as much due to the fact that Gary was at the helm, and he loved fan made works.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

If the sing they would be called ELVIS HAHAHAHHAHA

Okay seriously, I didn't really notice this until now. My guess is that whoever decided to draw from RPG tropes either didn't care a lot for Elves or simply didn't know enough about them to incorporate them in the FF games properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    \Okay seriously, I didn't really notice this until now. My guess is that whoever decided to draw from RPG tropes either didn't care a lot for Elves or simply didn't know enough about them to incorporate them in the FF games properly.
    Actually Elves being assholes is more true to their roots than the way Tolkien and most fantasy portray them. Elves aren't happy, singing, tree-huggers. Elves are the Fair Folk. They are invincible, immortal, magical beings on par with demigods. The word Eldritch (Used to describe Cthulhu and other disturbing monsters) actually means Elven. Elves aren't assholes, they're amoral spirits that prey upon all things in their forests, including humans.