View Poll Results: What is your favourite final fantasy!

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Final Fantasy

0 0%
  • Final Fantasy II

0 0%
  • Final Fantasy III

0 0%
  • Final Fantasy IV

1 1.61%
  • Final Fantasy V

3 4.84%
  • Final Fantasy Tactics

3 4.84%
  • Final Fantasy VI

6 9.68%
  • Final Fantasy VII

16 25.81%
  • Final Fantasy VII Spin offs

0 0%
  • Final Fantasy VIII

10 16.13%
  • Final Fantasy IX

12 19.35%
  • Final Fantasy X

7 11.29%
  • Final Fantasy X-2

0 0%
  • Final Fantasy XI

0 0%
  • Final Fantasy XII

2 3.23%
  • Final Fantasy XIII

2 3.23%
  • Final Fantasy XIII-2

0 0%
  • Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

0 0%
  • Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

0 0%
  • Final Fantasy Other (say below)

0 0%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Final Fantasy

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

Tatics is great for both story and challenge. It keeps getting better the older I get.

Update:

I. Compilation of Final Fantasy VII
    II. Fabula Nova Crystallis: Final Fantasy XIII Trilogy
    III. Final Fantasy VI & IX
    IV. Final Fantasy X Duo
    V. Final Fantasy VIII & XV
    VI. Final Fantasy IV Duo
    VII. Ivalice Alliance
    VIII. Final Fantasy V
    IX. Final Fantasy III
    X. Final Fantasy
    XI. Final Fantasy II

Shoutouts to the two brave souls who voted for XIII. I haven't beaten every Final Fantasy, but currently it's in my top 3.

VII is #1, though.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffington View Post
    Shoutouts to the two brave souls who voted for XIII. I haven't beaten every Final Fantasy, but currently it's in my top 3.

VII is #1, though.
    FFVII with it's massively lackluster, poorly written disc 2?

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post

VII is #1, though.
    FFVII with it's massively lackluster, poorly written disc 2?
    I'd say pretty much everything about Disc 2 was incredible. The narrative flows quite nicely, picking up seamlessly from the end of Disc 1 and wraps up just about everything by the end of Disc 2 save for the main antagonist. It manages to introduce new villains (WEAPONs) while also resolving the story arcs of past villains like Shinra and Hojo. By the end of the disc, only the real threat remains.

Disc 2 of VII is probably as excellent of a "middle act" as gaming has ever seen.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

You mean the slog through Great Glacier with the completely out of place snowboarding minigame (Aerith's dead, so can we go snowboarding now?) and then the entire disc consisting of you stealing Huge Materia from Shinra even though they could have actually stopped meteor this way? And then the entire party being disappointed that the rocket didn't blow up meteor even though it was them that sabotaged the rocket in the first place?!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Disc 2 was my favourite part of FFVII

The black materia thing was uber dumb though

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

WELL I'M SORRY WE'RE DIFFERENT PEOPLE WITH DIFFERENT OPINIONS ON STUFF

You mean the slog through Great Glacier with the completely out of place snowboarding minigame (Aerith's dead, so can we go snowboarding now?) and then the entire disc consisting of you stealing Huge Materia from Shinra even though they could have actually stopped meteor this way? And then the entire party being disappointed that the rocket didn't blow up meteor even though it was them that sabotaged the rocket in the first place?!
    The entire party reflected on her death at the end of Disc 1. They resolved to continue on with their journey. It's not like they immediately went snowboarding the instant Aerith died. The game had a clear transition. I also thought the Great Glacier was an incredibly well-done section. Scaling up a giant mountain, fighting enemies for over an hour, only to get to the top and lose both your leader (Cloud) and the Black Materia at the end.

The party stops Shinra from getting the Huge Materia because they are still an antagonist. And they have confidence in themselves to stop both Sephiroth in Meteor without Shinra's help. Even if you fail in collecting any of the Huge Materia, Shinra's rocket fails regardless.

It's natural that they would be disappointed about the rocket failing to destroy Meteor. Even though Shinra is their enemy, Meteor's destruction is a mutual goal for them.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

I believe the criticism regarding the huge materia plot is that it's mainly just padding. You go to all this trouble to collect the huge materia and what do you do with it? You keep it locked up in Bugenhagen's planetarium. You can't even get any useful materia out of it unless you have fulfilled certain objectives.

In short; huge materia is a cool set of side quests that has been inexplicably dragged into the main quest. So I find it hard to disagree with that one, plot-wise it's completely unimportant.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I believe the criticism regarding the huge materia plot is that it's mainly just padding. You go to all this trouble to collect the huge materia and what do you do with it? You keep it locked up in Bugenhagen's planetarium. You can't even get any useful materia out of it unless you have fulfilled certain objectives.

In short; huge materia is a cool set of side quests that has been inexplicably dragged into the main quest. So I find it hard to disagree with that one, plot-wise it's completely unimportant.
    Denying Shinra from achieving one of their primary objectives isn't really padding. Especially considering collecting them is directly tied to their plan to destroy Meteor.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

The entire party reflected on her death at the end of Disc 1. They resolved to continue on with their journey. It's not like they immediately went snowboarding the instant Aerith died. The game had a clear transition. I also thought the Great Glacier was an incredibly well-done section. Scaling up a giant mountain, fighting enemies for over an hour, only to get to the top and lose both your leader (Cloud) and the Black Materia at the end.

The party stops Shinra from getting the Huge Materia because they are still an antagonist. And they have confidence in themselves to stop both Sephiroth in Meteor without Shinra's help. Even if you fail in collecting any of the Huge Materia, Shinra's rocket fails regardless.

It's natural that they would be disappointed about the rocket failing to destroy Meteor. Even though Shinra is their enemy, Meteor's destruction is a mutual goal for them.
    Except the only reason Shinra is the antagonist is that the game says so - they are literally trying to save the world and you are stopping them. Because you think you can do it better. Even though they have a plan and resources and you have neither.

And no, they don't contemplate it at all. They just give her a send-off and then the game goes to being about Cloud. The last thing Cloud says at the end of the disc is that he wants the others to stop him should anything happen. No mention of Aerith. There is no grief. And the next time she's mentioned is at the end of disc 2 where what she did actually becomes important to the plot. She remains completely forgotten until then.

Trust me. I literally beat this game like a couple days ago

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post

Denying Shinra from achieving one of their primary objectives isn't really padding. Especially considering collecting them is directly tied to their plan to destroy Meteor.
    Well, I guess you could look at it that way but then it doesn't really make much sense.

"We need to stop Shinra from using the huge materia to destroy meteor!"
    "Yes! ...Why though? Are we going to use it instead?"
    "No, but I'll be darned if I let them have the glory!"