Thread: Let's Recommend: Expanded Universe

Default Let's Recommend: Expanded Universe

Star Wars Legacy comic
    Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords

Basically two comics that set out to take the trash SW formula and turn it on its head with something more unique and thought-provoking. Cade Skywalker is hands down my favorite SW protagonist.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Obligatory Thrawn series recommendation

Blog Entries

I enjoyed reading Jedi Apprentice when I was younger as it delved deeper into Jedi philosophy and had Quigon. I also read and enjoyed Jedi Quest because it's makes Anakin's transition to the darkside more believable.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

FFXIV Character

Devore Jojishi (Sargatanas)

I second Star Wars Legacy, its a really good series. Not too sure about Legacy 2/Solo Legacy/whatever its called, but hopefully it'll get better.
    Dawn of the Jedi is also pretty good.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I've heard awesome things about Rogue Squadron, both the games and the books. The sheer severity of the pilots' disabilities and impairments make their success super impressive. I think it's also a lot easier to write/read about clever dudes than it is Jedi; there's too must mysticism and what not in the latter case.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I would only recommend Legacy/Legacy: War to a person I just recommended Legacy II to just so they know what the smurf is going on with the triumvirate and the Sith. It's not a terrible read, it's just not a very good one. I second Knights of the Old Republic, however.

In the way of comics, Crimson Empire and Dark Empire are must reads. The Chewbacca title is really good, but you should read the book Vector Prime first. The newer Darth Vader series is really cool as well, cataloging a bunch of different missions Vader went on early into his career. Darth Maul: Death Sentence is great, and the new Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir has started off pretty strong. The new Rebel Heist series is a fun read and takes a new turn in SW comics, putting you behind the eyes of a non-important watching the characters we know and love do their thing.

If you want something a little different, the original screenplay has been adapted into a comic as well under the title The Star Wars. I really enjoyed it. It was interesting seeing familiar names with new faces, being introduced to new worlds with familiar landscapes, and really getting a taste of what Star Wars could have been.

Legacy, much like KOTOR II, took the painfully unoriginal SW concept and made it more three-dimensional and interesting. The Sith are a lot more intriguing and complex as the One Sith, Cade is a great deconstruction of the Skywalker family, and it has wonderful, wonderful art.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I enjoyed the Darth Bane trilogy of books.