Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's Play Final Fantasy Tactics Advance [And be really bad at it]

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Braaaaaains Let's Play Final Fantasy Tactics Advance [And be really bad at it]

I am really not good at all at Tactics games. Like royally not good. Like I couldn't be more worse at a genre of games. Heck, I'm better at playing cooking mama better than tactics games.

Well over in The Tactics subforum, I was asking for some advice on how not to suck and where should I start when it comes to tactics games. They suggested Tactics Advance and to do a Let's play so they could edumacate me in how to be more betters.

So here we are! Tactics advanced! I have the game ready to go!

Who's got some advice x.x

Well, to start with, you should press "A" on the "New Game" bit. The "A" button also cycles through dialogue and can be used for menu selections.

The first "battle" is really just an introduction to systems. You can't lose it, it will auto resolve and move you on to the rest of the main story. When you get to your first real Engagement, we'll be able to help more.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I thought i lost it...

"this is an intro fight to tell me how to play isn't it."

They probably ended it cause I was losing so bad.... Those guys were jerks.

Me too Mewt, me too.

My first thought was "JUDGE?! CAN I ATTACK IT" Only entry I have played in Ivalice is XII and Judge's are bad in that one

Shut your mouf.

I uhhhhhhhhh killed my own guy.... i didn't realize there was friendly fire D:

Last edited by Freya; 06-05-2014 at 05:25 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Holy crap, you really are bad at this!

But it can still be fixed Remember, the color of the background by the portrait during a battle indicates the side. Red is for enemies, blue is for your characters, and green is for guest characters who are fighting on your side but you can't control them.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

So I rezed him with a phoenix down, then the guy hit him and he died again xD

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well, don't worry Under normal circumstances, there is no permadeath, so fallen characters are revived after battle.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

thank goodness!

I like the archer lady, she can hit people far away.

Ranged characters can be absurdly powerful, especially with the more powerful weapons and abilities with them. Viera and Moogles are the best. Viera Snipers and Assassins have some incredibly powerful abilities, while Moogles get a host of excellent damage and status combinations to use with their guns (not to mention, they get guns).

That said, most classes can become absurdly powerful. There is no permadeath, so you can grind to be better than most enemies fairly easily.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Both humans and Viera can become archers. New recruits can randomly join you. So, if any one of those two races joins, you can change them to archers

Also, unlocking new jobs requires a certain amount of abilities from previous jobs. If you see a job you don't have yet on your enemy, you can check their status and view the job description (with select, I think? It's been a while) - it'll tell you what the requirements are

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wizard of Fynn View Post
    Both humans and Viera can become archers. New recruits can randomly join you. So, if any one of those two races joins, you can change them to archers

Also, unlocking new jobs requires a certain amount of abilities from previous jobs. If you see a job you don't have yet on your enemy, you can check their status and view the job description (with select, I think? It's been a while) - it'll tell you what the requirements are
    Or you could just use The Charts That Some Of Us Spent A Long Time Building For Everyone.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I didn't lose anyone this time! I learned I don't need to send everyone out into the fray, the long ranged people only need to be "close enough".

Wait... I read in the little thing you can get more classes but OH HAY CHART

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Which are the best classes? WHAT SHOULD I AIM FOR?

Also I started this battle and I was like "sweet it's like two bombs this will be easy." then as it starts the judge comes in "trout there are four."

What's the 7H thing for? It hasn't explained that...

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Montblanc got sent to prison.....
    Last edited by Freya; 06-05-2014 at 06:10 AM.

Get the Ninja Support Tech "Double Sword" as quick as you can. It's worth it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

That's height. Might want to look out for that

Like Skyblade said, all classes are awesome. My personal favorites are the later Viera classes like Sniper and Assassin - not great defense-wise, but holy crap, can they hit fast and hard.