Thread: Highest quality pure FF game?

Default Highest quality pure FF game?

I really like a lot of the other FF games, IV is my all time favorite due to its characters and story. However I can't help but to think/feel that IX is pound for pound the best FF ever.

It really felt like the end of an era after it came out. No other FF pulled me so far into its world. From the breathtaking opening to the tear filled ending (melodies of life) the game is just an absolute pleasure to play. I literally talked to every NPC. I really liked the male red mage wondering around. Each character had so much personality and depth. Zidane is such an awesome lead. He's not an emo angsty complainer.

Each town was filled with such creatively beautiful scenery, all the NPC's were interesting. IX easily has the coolest stages/backgrounds or whatever you call them.

If any game deserves a sequel it's this one. Such a beautiful and engaging adventure.

the only player character I disliked is Quina. S/he was annoying and a waste. I never used him/her when I had the ability to choose party members.

i read somewhere this was the lowest selling PS1 FF game. The only reason I can think of is as the reason is the art style. Maybe to cartoony and child like? I don't know. FF7 was cartoony looking but had that cool anime look to it. Maybe IX took the super deformed cartoony look too far?

I honestly feel this game does not get the credit it deserves. This is not my fav FF but in my opinion it's the highest quality/most enjoyable FF ever.

Basically what I'm saying is I feel this is the best FF ever.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I felt it had the best cinematography, atmosphere, and character depth of the games I replayed recently (VII, VIII, and IX). I can easily see why people would rate it as #1, or #2 under Final Fantasy VI as some have done. It was always my fourth favorite after X, VII, and VIII. That may change soon when I replay all of them. It was a tear jerker and it's hard to get me to want to cry while playing a game.

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

When FFIX came out, it was rated considerably lower than FFVII and FFVIII, probably because of the art style and because it tried to be a tribute to the older titles rather than coming up with something new. Nowadays the game seems to be more appreciated, though. That's probably because the more realistic graphics of FFVIII and FFX have now aged, and the innovations shown in those FFs are nothing new anymore, while FFIX remains a classic for having a compelling storyline, a likable cast, and most of all, it feels like an FF game. Back then, those kinds of things were probably taken for granted, but these days, it's very rare to see an FF that has returned to the series's roots so well, not to mention has such an FF-ish world and atmosphere.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

Cinematography was the word I was looking for.

Visually FFIX has ages th best. I kinda wish there was a fanmade mod using the world of FFIX. Just so I can continue playing this game.

I like this game a LOT, but I don't see how any sane human could like it better than VII. I just don't. It doesn't make any sense.

IX is the best game of all time in my opinion, I really can't find a single fault with it.
    Ride ze shoopuff

It's definitely like 5000% Final Fantasy to the 100th degree. A great game. But nothing will ever beat VII

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

It always has been my favorite. No other game, even outside of the FF series, makes me feel the way this game does