Thread: What if: Bryan Singer never left to do Superman Returns?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default What if: Bryan Singer never left to do Superman Returns?

Has like one F bomb in the whole thing, thought I'd play it safe

I was watching this video by Its Just Some Random Guy the other day (btw if you haven't heard of him you should check out his stuff, they're pretty good) and it presented an AU story where Superman and Wolverine go back in time to make sure Bryan Singer was signed on to do X-Men 3 for Fox. The resulting time shift caused the WB to renegotiate a contract with Michael Bay to do a Superman movie. The movie performed well at the box office and became a staple for the DC movies. When Warner Bros. asked Nolan to take on a similar approach with his movies he left and The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises never got made.

Over on the Marvel side of things, the lack of missteps by Fox never led to Marvel making their own studio so Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Captain America, Avengers, and the whole Marvel Cinematic Universe never came into being and that honor went to DC. But X-Men was doing pretty well for itself. Oh, and Deadpool was on his third movie with Robert Rodriguez and bowler hats were back in style.

While you have your obvious stuff played for laughs, I like how well thought out the alternate universe was and could see it happening if Bryan really did stay on for X-Men 3. What do you think would have happened if Bryan Singer never went to direct Superman Returns? Do you agree? Disagree? Would you prefer this alternate universe to the one we're in now? Do you like bowler hats? I think I'll stay in this universe.

Discuss.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I think he would've handled the Dark Phoenix Saga differently.

In X-2 they were already setting up for it, so it would've been the main focus of the 3rd movie & maybe the 4th movie would've been the war between the mutants & the government.

If Michael Bay did Superman it would've been a colossal critical failure. It probably would've made 1/2 billion, but any sequel would be shunned by the public.

Nothing would've changed w/ Batman. A Michael Bay Superman movie would'nt affect it, no matter how much money it brought in.

The Marvel Cinematic Universe would've still happened, too. Stan Lee had dreams of that happening since the 60s & that dream carried on from every Publisher/President of the company ever since.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    I think he would've handled the Dark Phoenix Saga differently.

In X-2 they were already setting up for it, so it would've been the main focus of the 3rd movie & maybe the 4th movie would've been the war between the mutants & the government.
    I remember hearing he wanted The Phoenix to be the primary focus for the third movie, as it should have been. I just haven't heard a clear-cut version of why he left in the first place. The video claims Fox just didn't sign him on, but I heard before that a scorned Hallie Berry got him fired or something because she wanted more screen time. The former seems more likely.

If Michael Bay did Superman it would've been a colossal critical failure. It probably would've made 1/2 billion, but any sequel would be shunned by the public.
    Like Transformers. Only Transformers keep making enough to warrant sequels and Michael Bay keeps getting work despite all the critical failures. I just... I don't understand the world, man.

Nothing would've changed w/ Batman. A Michael Bay Superman movie would'nt affect it, no matter how much money it brought in.
    I guess I could just see the above scenario happening because movie studios executives aren't always the brightest tools in the shed.

The Marvel Cinematic Universe would've still happened, too. Stan Lee had dreams of that happening since the 60s & that dream carried on from every Publisher/President of the company ever since.
    This I did not know. This makes me insanely happen knowing how well the Cinematic Universe has done

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post

Like Transformers. Only Transformers keep making enough to warrant sequels and Michael Bay keeps getting work despite all the critical failures. I just... I don't understand the world, man.
    Yeah, but a lot of people liked those movies. I just have a feeling his Superman film wouldn't've caught on the same way. There's too much "cool" re: the Transformers, & Superman has an "uncool" stigma.