Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which console had the best set of JRPGs?

If ports are counting, shouldn't we count backwards compatibility as well? In which case PS2 clearly destroys PS1.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Oh, I've not included backwards compatibility in my judgements, but yeah if that is the case then PS2 > PSX for obvious reasons. I've just been going by which consoles games were released for, primarily games that were not ported.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

The PlayStation 2, undoubtedly.

But it's kind of sad that we can't say this about the more recent consoles though. The genre has been getting a pretty rough ride.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I think there are still good signs for the future, but we'll just have to wait and see. I think there is more innovation in RPG-style games than any other mainstream genre, so I feel they kind of lead the way.

Well here's hoping that the next FF to be released leaves a more memorable mark in the genre than the Fabula Nova Crystallis has so far.

But despite that I feel like the newer games have been getting progressively better with each release from a gameplay perspective but the character interaction and some of the storytelling is leaving a lot to be desired.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean View Post
    Well here's hoping that the next FF to be released leaves a more memorable mark in the genre than the Fabula Nova Crystallis has so far.

But despite that I feel like the newer games have been getting progressively better with each release from a gameplay perspective but the character interaction and some of the storytelling is leaving a lot to be desired.
    Yeah, I agree. With Ni no Kuni and Bravely Default both doing well the JRPG certainly isn't dead just yet, but hopefully the Final Fantasy story telling will be given a boost in the next 1-2 releases.

Yep, definitely PS1. That was a perfect crossroads in gaming history for the RPG. They'd become popular with the SNES because the hardware limitations made most other genres terrible, whereas storytelling was unaffected.
    The playstation then added the ability for pre-rendered backgrounds, which FF7 popularised hugely. It feels like after the PS1, the trend in hardware improvements started to favour other genres more. And RPGs still haven't done anything to improve upon the PS1 generation.