Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which console had the best set of JRPGs?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Eureka! Which console had the best set of JRPGs?

What it says on the tin.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

PlayStation. I haven't played all of these, but...

Final Fantasy VII
    Final Fantasy VIII
    Final Fantasy IX
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Various Final Fantasy Ports
    Wild Arms
    Wild Arms 2
    Grandia
    Alundra
    Chrono Cross
    Breath of Fire III
    Breath of Fire IV
    Xenogears
    Persona
    Persona 2
    Legend of Legaia
    Legend of Dragoon
    Valkyrie Profile
    Suikoden
    Suikoden II
    Star Ocean
    Star Ocean II
    Parasite Eve
    Parasite Eve II
    Tales of Destiny
    Tales of Destiny 2
    Saga Frontier
    Tactics Ogre
    Lunar
    Lunar 2

The list goes on, is this even a discussion or just a thread to celebrate the RPGs of the PSX?
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Final Fantasy VII
    Final Fantasy VIII
    Breath of Fire IV
    Legend of Legaia
    Legend of Dragoon
    I agree with Loony BoB just on these games alone Next question?

I'll throw my hat in for the PS2, actually:

Final Fantasy X, X-2, XII (three of the 5 best in the series)
    Star Ocean 3 (best in the series)
    Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2
    Xenosaga Episodes I-III
    Dragon Quest VIII
    Rogue Galaxy (severely underrated game)

plus ones I haven't even played:
    Persona 3 & 4
    Tales of Destiny/Symphonia/Rebirth
    Suikoden V
    a bunch of .hacks
    etc.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Likewise, I can't even call it a contest, PS1 hands down. Even eliminating that the SNES is the only console that has anything that I would call "excellent".
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> PS1..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Yep. It's gotta be the PS1

The thread said "best" lineup. Not the largest. Certain titles on that list definitely don't qualify (such as the horrendous ports of the Final Fantasy series).
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I saw nothing wrong with those ports. My FFV copy didn't work, but that was about it. No glitches, no nada.

I feel as though I don't know enough about the SNES line up to speak on it as I didn't start to really get into RPGs until the PS1.

PS3 and Xbox will be dead last in this contest though.

Articles
    Blog Entries

SNES and PS2 are strong frontrunners but the original PlayStation was that special moment in time when developers still dreamed of what could be possible but finally got the tools to find out. That mix of inspiration and technology was the lightening in the bottle that you can't get back.

Games like Xenogears, Final Fantasy Tactics and FFVII exemplify that.

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    I saw nothing wrong with those ports. My FFV copy didn't work, but that was about it. No glitches, no nada.
    Just an extra three hours of loading time for each game.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    You're exaggerating. I played Final Fantasy Anthologies and Origins, the loading times are nowhere near that long. I grew up with the NES and Sega Genesis where load time was unheard of and it still wasn't jarring when I sat down and played those ports.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

PS1, easily, no remote contest. The only exception is if backwards compatibility counts, in which case the PS2 would then destroy the competition by that fact alone. The PS1-era was definitely the heyday of the JRPG, with what I consider to be the near-perfect balance of focusing on story, gameplay, and aesthetics: prioritizing them in basically that order.

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    You're exaggerating. I played Final Fantasy Anthologies and Origins, the loading times are nowhere near that long. I grew up with the NES and Sega Genesis where load time was unheard of and it still wasn't jarring when I sat down and played those ports.
    Go play Chrono Trigger on the PS1. I'm serious. They didn't optimize the game at all for disc based media. Every time you entered the menu, the entire world was replaced with the menu screen (for cartridges, it made since to do this). The result is that just opening the menu to save, change equipment, heal, etcetera, added an extra ten seconds of black screen EVERY SINGLE TIME. All the ports share this issue to varying degrees. You may not sit on a screen that reads "loading", but there are huge, annoying loading times there regardless.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    Go play Chrono Trigger on the PS1. I'm serious. They didn't optimize the game at all for disc based media. Every time you entered the menu, the entire world was replaced with the menu screen (for cartridges, it made since to do this). The result is that just opening the menu to save, change equipment, heal, etcetera, added an extra ten seconds of black screen EVERY SINGLE TIME. All the ports share this issue to varying degrees. You may not sit on a screen that reads "loading", but there are huge, annoying loading times there regardless.
    A port that wasn't even mentioned. Fair enough if its loading time was crap, but I fail to see how that knocks the PS One out of the running for best JRPGs. Especially if you're arguing quality over quantity. Take the ports away and the console still has a strong lineup.