Thread: Favorite Mark Hunts

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Favorite Mark Hunts

This game has a grand total of 45 mark hunts, of which only 1 is mandatory towards the story.

There's been many mark hunts, but which ones were your favorite?

For me, I really loved completing the Wraith hunt. It's only #4, but it was quite tough if you attempted it right away. The Wraith loved to cast Doom, a status effect at that point in the game would be incurable, and you only had four party members.

Besides that one, I really loved Deathgaze, as you fought it on the airship. That was a fun battle.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Gilgamesh is up there, of course.

Trickster was also kinda fun. Chasing a semi-invisible chocobo around, wouldn't have thought I'd be doing that.

Also, I liked how Orthros was an allusion to Ultros, especially with its spawning condition.

Finally, the Belito hunt was great. I didn't pay much attention to the sidestory of the hunter killer, so suddenly seeing Ba'Gamnan was quite a nice surprise.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

All of them. This was my favorite aspect of FFXII and wish to see more similar shenanigans in future games. (Similarly, I love FFXI's NM/HNM/BCNM/etc system and would love to see something like that in an offline game.)

Okay, I'll list a few favorites:
    Gilgamesh.jpg
    Gilgamesh--because it's freaking Gilgamesh
    BehemothKing.jpg
    King Behemoth--because I like behemoths, each and every iteration. Love 'em!
    Shadowseer.jpg
    Shadowseer--because summoners are badass! I love this in other games: fighting bosses all over again as minions of other bosses. It's meta!
    Last edited by chionos; 06-11-2014 at 04:14 PM.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Man too many. I will also mention Gilgamesh and Deathgaze. Orthros was pretty fun, the Behemoth near Mt. Burimasce was also cool cause I liked how it tied up the story about the Refugees. The Ba'Gamman fight was swanky and same with the Shadowseer. The Pyrolaster was a nasty devil and fun to fight. I also have to mention the infamous Carrot mission which has been a staple of the Ivalice titles since Final fantasy Tactics. I may need to re-read the XII guide to remember them all but I loved most of them.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Man too many. I will also mention Gilgamesh and Deathgaze. Orthros was pretty fun, the Behemoth near Mt. Burimasce was also cool cause I liked how it tied up the story about the Refugees. The Ba'Gamman fight was swanky and same with the Shadowseer. The Pyrolaster was a nasty devil and fun to fight. I also have to mention the infamous Carrot mission which has been a staple of the Ivalice titles since Final fantasy Tactics. I may need to re-read the XII guide to remember them all but I loved most of them.
    They're all listed in this article.

What else was there? I loved the Cockatrice/Chickatrice elite hunt. Just something about slaughtering birds that made it funny for me.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Rogue Tomato

Flowering Cactoid

Ixion

The best, though is Belito.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I last played FFXII many years ago, so I don't remember all the mark hunts (or even the whole game), but I do remember Gilgamesh. I remember fighting him the first time and handily won, and then going almost immediately to fight him for the second time -- not realizing that there was going to be a substantial increase in difficulty. The result was among the most (if not the most) epic, hard-fought, and memorable battles I ever had in a Final Fantasy game. I

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Let me say that pyralaster is still probably one of the funnest marks to fight. It's so quick and dirty and everything can go horribly wrong in a split second. I did it once with my shield guy tanking EVERYTHING, but the most fun I had with him was when I abandoned a shield and swapped my tank for my magic armor/katana/berserk dps machine called Ashe. It was insane and such a blast to do. That's how I felt about most of the later marks actually, they're a very fun challenge that can leave you panicking and desperately trying to keep up if you're aren't used to how the boss works. You can quickly be overwhelmed, and the feeling that comes with that is extremely exciting. Whats better is if you're able to make it by the skin of your teeth. There's no greater feeling than managing to clutch victory from the depths of failure.

I have very scary memories of Ixion slaughtering my party as a child, so when I went back a few years ago way smarter at playing this game... it was a joy to rematch him. I don't remember much about the fight sadly, but the name Ixion is one I won't be forgetting any time soon. Hell, all of the deeper areas of the Pharos have scarred me. Even though I have conquered them now I still can't go there without feeling like everything is going to go horribly wrong.
    Last edited by TrollHunter; 07-19-2014 at 03:43 AM.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter View Post
    Hell, all of the deeper areas of the Pharos have scarred me. Even though I have conquered them now I still can't go there without feeling like everything is going to go horribly wrong.
    I think it's because of the fact that enemies seem to pop out of nowhere, due to the gloom, particularly if you enter there for the first time. I'm also pretty sure there's no save crystals in those lower levels, which makes things more risky.

I once dreamed of Pilraster chasing me so probably not that one.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

The Rogue Tomato

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Hell, all of the deeper areas of the Pharos have scarred me. Even though I have conquered them now I still can't go there without feeling like everything is going to go horribly wrong.
    I think it's because of the fact that enemies seem to pop out of nowhere, due to the gloom, particularly if you enter there for the first time. I'm also pretty sure there's no save crystals in those lower levels, which makes things more risky.
    I would argue that it has more to do with the nasty encounter with a Magic Pot, you know, where you just kind of stumble onto them and accidentally smack them because of gambits and then it proceeds to chase you down while spamming flare and scathe.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    I would argue that it has more to do with the nasty encounter with a Magic Pot, you know, where you just kind of stumble onto them and accidentally smack them because of gambits and then it proceeds to chase you down while spamming flare and scathe.
    When you're in the vicinity of them, just press the Run button before your characters attack. They'll always sheath their weapons.

pinchpinchpinchpinchpinch ScottNUMBERS's Avatar

I didn't use a guide of any kind in my first play through, so I would search for these marks using only the information given in the game. King Behemoth took me a few hours to find, and when it's hulking outline appeared through the mist and snow I jumped out of my skin. I was quite low level when I tackled him, it was a long tricky battle but much enjoyment was had. I remember positioning my characters so that only the tank gets hit with it's area of effect magic, and every time it readied it I would open the menu and temporarily equip an Aegis shield.
    Staring at my sig will not induce epileptic fits.

A themagicroundabout sig, by themagicroundabout.