View Poll Results: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chelsea

6 66.67%
  • Liverpool

0 0%
  • Manchester City

1 11.11%
  • Other (Spurs, Everton, Swansea etc)

2 22.22%
Page 21 of 59 FirstFirst ... 11151617181920212223242526273141 ... LastLast

Thread: Proper Football season 2014-2015 thread

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Can't really see the reasoning behind the deal either, but who wouldn't take him? Exciting times.

I'd say RVP will miss out. Is he even fully fit? This would still be a failure of a transfer window if we don't sign a good CB.

Str8 Pimpin'

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I suppose with Hernandez gone and Welbeck likely to leave too then we're going to need the cover. Pretty good cover too!

I'd still like to see a couple more signings. I'm a little bit miffed we're leaving it till deadline day again considering the shambles of last season. If we do any more business then we're certain to pay over the odds.

I can't believe the amount of money we've spent. Pressure is really gonna be on now to perform.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by friend of mine
    "Looking at United's potential lineup, I haven't seen anything this top-heavy since all those leaked photos of Kate Upton"

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

United giving Welbeck to Arsenal may be something they live to regret. While Welbeck isn't as good as any of United's other strikers, he's still going to be the best Arsenal have until 2015. That might just be enough to secure 4th.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Doesn't look like we'll be getting that midfielder I had hoped we'd be getting. Falcao is interesting, and I think it would indeed be to compete with RVP more than Rooney. I think we once again have the players for a 4-4-2 now, and I think I'd prefer we switch to that, but I'm guessing 4-3-3 or the current (horrid) 3-5-2 will be retained. Really hope Blind does great with us, I'm actually more excited for his signing than that of Falcao.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    United giving Welbeck to Arsenal may be something they live to regret. While Welbeck isn't as good as any of United's other strikers, he's still going to be the best Arsenal have until 2015. That might just be enough to secure 4th.
    This I certainly agree with. Looks like it might not happen now, but it's my biggest worry for these last few hours.
    Like you say, Welbeck is defiantly 4th in our list of strikers, but there is a real chance that we could be fighting Arsenal for 4th by the end of the season, and giving a possible direct rival something they really need does not seem like a smart move. I'd rather he went to Spurs.

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    I think we once again have the players for a 4-4-2 now
    You'd get battered. United don't have a box-to-box midfielder of the quality and mobility required to play a standard 4-4-2 with wingers.

Not to mention the complete lack of a quality defender, Shaw and Rojo aren't going to cut it no matter how many millions-worth of talent you put in front of them.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    I think we once again have the players for a 4-4-2 now
    You'd get battered. United don't have a box-to-box midfielder of the quality and mobility required to play a standard 4-4-2 with wingers.
    We've got better midfielders than we had last season, Herrera is a box to box midfielder more so than the midfielders we had last season and we didn't get battered last season. We just kept losing by one goal, or getting draws. I think we have the players suited to a 4-4-2 more than a 4-3-3 personally.

As for quality defenders, I don't know how many times I'll have to point it out but it was Vidic and Rio that were letting us down last season, not the young ones.

Articles

Sure, you can have sterile domination against the small teams but you got battered against the big boys. http://www.zonalmarking.net/2014/03/...ol-win-easily/

Not posted to gloat, but to provide a perfect example - and hey, it agrees with what you said to ADX about the defence too! 4-4-2 is an old fashioned formation that works well if you have the right midfielders. And I mean Yaya Toure or Cesc Fabregas quality. Steven Gerrard of 10 years ago. Roy Keane of 15 years ago. Herrera, from what I've seen, does not have the mobility to do that job.

Better off with 4-3-3 or your own diamond.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

FALCAO!!!!

image.jpg

Articles

With you all predicting Chelsea I may as well do City to mix it up a little.

1) City
    2) Chelsea
    3) Arsenal
    4) Liverpool
    5) United
    6) Spurs
    7) Everton
    8) Newcastle
    9) Stoke
    10) Southampton
    11) Sunderland
    12) West Ham
    13) Aston Villa
    14) Leicester
    15) Swansea
    16) QPR
    17) Hull
    18) Burnley
    19) Palace
    20) WBA

League Cup: Southampton
    FA Cup: Chelsea
    Champions League: Bayern Munich

It's difficult because everyone between 3 and 7 are decent, and everyone from 11 downwards is rotten.
    Would like to revise this somewhat now that transfers are done. Swap Hull and West Ham, that seems right! And Arsenal and United. Swap them too. Gotta stick with my Foxes munching on Swans prediction no matter what though! Foxes done really well so far. Had a horrible set of opening fixtures and to come out of them with 2 points is great.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Sure, you can have sterile domination against the small teams but you got battered against the big boys. http://www.zonalmarking.net/2014/03/...ol-win-easily/

Not posted to gloat, but to provide a perfect example - and hey, it agrees with what you said to ADX about the defence too! 4-4-2 is an old fashioned formation that works well if you have the right midfielders. And I mean Yaya Toure or Cesc Fabregas quality. Steven Gerrard of 10 years ago. Roy Keane of 15 years ago. Herrera, from what I've seen, does not have the mobility to do that job.

Better off with 4-3-3 or your own diamond.
    Methinks you may not have seen much of Herrera, but we'll have to wait and see regarding that. When I was watching him in pre-season, he just didn't stop moving, he was non-stop, and not a slouch either when it comes to speed. Also, diamond to me is just a diffferent kind of 4-4-2. Perhaps that's a result of me playing too much FM, but they are technically both "four in defence, four in midfield, two up front" formations.

As for not having the right midfielders: Thing is, we don't have the right midfielders for 4-3-3 or 3-5-2, either. Simply put, our midfield isn't world class yet. Still, better than it was last season, so...

I know we got battered by the top sides last season, but it wasn't the losses against the top sides that cost us a CL place, it was the loss of points against lower sides. If you can't beat the lower teams, you'll never beat the top teams. Let's not try to run before we can walk. As for helping AX's point, actually I would say it helps mine just as much: All those batterings took place with Rio and/or Vidic in the team.

Articles

Diamond is two CMs, a DM and an AM. Standard 4-4-2 is LM, RM and usually two CMs (you could theoretically have a DM or whatever in there but we're splitting hairs). To show you the difference, if you look again at the Liverpool formation, you can't really say Allen and Henderson are wingers - they both play fairly centrally. In a diamond you're relying on your full backs for width, or a striker or your 10 drifting wide.

Also perhaps, but let's note that 4-3-3 and 3-5-2 doesn't require your central 3 to be as good as your central 2 in a 4-4-2, owing directly to the numbers game.

Also also, I SAID it helped your point you Borini xD It straight up called out Vidic on smurfing up which agrees with what you said