View Poll Results: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chelsea

6 66.67%
  • Liverpool

0 0%
  • Manchester City

1 11.11%
  • Other (Spurs, Everton, Swansea etc)

2 22.22%
Page 55 of 59 FirstFirst ... 535454950515253545556575859 LastLast

Thread: Proper Football season 2014-2015 thread

Just out of curiosity, how do you decide which club to support? Is it the same as with professional North American sports? Family loyalty, by location, how the club is run, another arbitrary reason?

I'm starting to get into the Premier League and I was wondering about this.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I started supporting my main team because they wore red and at the age of 5 I loved everything to be red. Obviously after 23 years it's kind of become more than that! The other team I support because my Grandad supported them, and he died before they could get back into the Premiership (which they finally did this season) so I kind of feel like I'm doing it on his behalf.

Blog Entries

I actually grew up in and around Swansea so that actually makes me the only ~*~TRUE FAN~*~ around here I'm afraid. 🎣

there was a picture here

I support Man Utd because while I was born in London and live in South Wales, my Dad is Stretford born and bred, and he raised me on Man Utd.
    His mother was United, as was her father, so I happily carry on the legacy even if I'm the first one not to be born in Stretford.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I superficially support Arsenal because my family does, even if my 'support' descends into me moaning profusely about their lack of defense.

I then usually surrogate an underdog team to support and see how they do. I do like smaller clubs beating larger teams. This season, it has been Southampton. I chose them because they got picked off like a dead carcass during the transfer window from what I hear, with some of their best players moving on. No-one expected them to be challenging for a European entry. Go Southampton!

Also, now that Bournemouth (my current home) has moved up to the Premier League after several years of promotion, I'll probably support them next season.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Old Manus View Post
    That New York City FC hymn sheet handout in full:

Attachment 64061

We don't give a crud
    Put the ball in the net & we'll go really mental
    N...Y...C...*clap*

We don't give a crud
    They even nicked the god damn Swansea City song! Unforgivable (SPOILER)cultural appropriation. We need a Twitter-esque tagging system on here so I can call The Captain and get an explanation for this bulltrout.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    #thuglife
    (SPOILER)always bet on bafe

Done the double on Arsenal and Man Red in the same season. How long until we become the new Everton?
    smurf you, Steve Bruce! Made up for the Foxes.

Oh and Steven Gerrard etc. did you know he's leaving? I didn't. The football press should've paid more attention to this story. I was also unaware he never won the premier league (because he slipped apparently?) but he won the champions league. Has anybody asked whether he is Liverpool's best ever player or the Premier League's best ever midfielder or whether he has the lineiest forehead in League Cup history yet? I feel like there should be copious online polls dedicated to this but they seem to be lacking.

look i love him but shut the smurf up already
    You want a pleasure to watch? I think I just came.
    The Stevie love-in is almost reaching the heights of the Scholesy wankfest, something I once thought was unattainable
    Who had the best wankfest in Premier League history, Gerrard or Scholes? While Gerrard doesn't have the wankstain collection that the ginger has, let's not forget he had a supporting cast of generic Sainsbury's tissues compared to Scholes's Kleenex and jesus christ why I am even typing this I am so sorry.
    #ejaculation (*)
    #doublewankstain
    #takecareall
    #hymn of the faith
    #prayforbruce

Gerrard deserved a better send-off. United deserved to win, I think, but given the Emirates game we had it coming (*). No pun in intended.

Str8 Pimpin'

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Born and grew up in Failsworth, just North of Manchester city centre. My Dad was a City fan as is my older brother. However, my Dad left my Mum when I was one-year-old and my Grandad encouraged me to follow the red half of the city.

The only other sport I have a team for is baseball and I'm a New York Yankee fan. My Dad's family were all from Connecticut on the East coast of USA and were all big Yankee fans. My Dad made me passionate about baseball and I've managed to attend three Yankee games in my lifetime. Not a bad effort considering my geographical limitations.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I just support clubs that either have a Dutch coach (3 teams so far), have the most Dutch players, or play the best.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Being a foreigner, I support my local team. The local team of the foreigner is absolutely Manchester United.

But seriously, my sister's husband was a massive Liverpool fan so I followed them with the intent of getting into football. Same with England. I fell asleep watching pretty much every match! Eventually they played some team called Manchester United and it was the way they played football that reminded me of the style of Auckland Blues / All Blacks. I started following Manchester United and got pretty caught up in their style and became a supporter.

I often wonder if I'd be an Arsenal supporter if I'd seen them play before I saw United play, because at the time I was first watching football, those two were both playing similar styles.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles

Does the hoofball dross United have served up the past two seasons depress you? Also Arsenal and United's trademark styles of the 2000's are in no way similar wtf xD Arsenal were slow tempo, slow passing, play it through the middle, never put in any high balls while United were high tempo, bombard you down the flanks. I don't think Arsenal have actually signed a winger since Thierry Henry and look what they did with him. fwiw it's a good thing, Arsenal's sterile domination is boring as trout while United were a really exciting team.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Does the hoofball dross United have served up the past two seasons depress you?
    It's definitely far from just the past two seasons, to be honest, but it's not been as hoofball as people have made it out to be. Certainly not that much more than previous seasons, which might surprise some people. SAF's sides saw the benefit of the long ball when the situation called for it. If anything, though, the biggest difference these days is that we have fewer quick players on the pitch. We would move the ball forward much faster beforehand. The past two seasons have had their moments, though, both good and bad. I don't like how much the game has slowed down for us, I miss wingers running down the line perfectly, beating players, etc... but I do love watching Blind/Young/Fellaini perfectly rotating the ball up the left side of the pitch, it's been good to see Valencia taking on and beating his man expertly, and last season watching Januzaj was awesome, him running off the pitch, around the player and back on to collect the ball... great fun.

We seem to do okay against the sides that are willing to attack us, but I feel LVG hasn't quite uncovered a strategy that works effectively against sides who are willing to camp'n'counter. Moyes was probably the opposite.
    Also Arsenal and United's trademark styles of the 2000's are in no way similar wtf xD Arsenal were slow tempo, slow passing, play it through the middle, never put in any high balls while United were high tempo, bombard you down the flanks. I don't think Arsenal have actually signed a winger since Thierry Henry and look what they did with him. fwiw it's a good thing, Arsenal's sterile domination is boring as trout while United were a really exciting team.
    I'm not sure if it's just the games I watched of Arsenal back then, which more often than not were against top sides where they would have to counter more often, but they played a high counter game when I watched, with trickery of the likes of Henry and a hell of a lot of falling over dramatically courtesy of some guy (Who was it again... Reyes or something?) on the wing who was just awful for it. But yeah, they did play pretty fast during the games I watched, and they played with flair and often down the wings, which is what I liked. I think it was 2002-2003 or so when I started watching football. All I remember is that I started following United at the beginning of their "barren spell" of 2-3 seasons without a trophy.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles

I've never seen a transfer get as vicious as this Sterling business. I don't mean from fans because fans are always hatemonsters, but the trout going on between LFC and Sterling's moron of an agent. And I'm not calling him a moron because he's trying to get Sterling out because smurf it, I don't care, sell him if he doesn't want to be here though after this trout I'd be happy to let him rot in the reserves. I'm calling him a moron because he evidently has no idea how to broker a super transfer and get a sweet slice of that transfer fee.

You don't see Jorge Mendes going around calling people a knob in the media or having his clients do unsanctioned TV interviews. No club is going to want to do business with the guy after these shambles. Useful reminder that Liverpool literally ignored Suarez's release clause and then sold him for £35m more than that a year later. It works both ways though, we'll try to nickle and dime with clubs over players and end up getting our fourth or fifth choice.

Articles

Liverpool would have to be either loopy or have serious delusions of grandeur to do away with Rodgers. Before he came they were holding hands with QPR at the top of the 'Laughing Stock of British Football' league table. They're not yet a big bollocks team who can justify booting a manager for having one (vaguely) dodgy season after losing their best player. Am I the only one who remembers how crap they were a few years ago?
    You may now enter this post right here in the Manus End Of Season Review because damn. Laughing Stock status achieved with relish. Even Hodgson never did something like this, and he wasn't given £120m in one Summer either.

I mean look, you can say delusions of grandeur but what ambitions should Liverpool have? Before you answer, consider that they are the 8th richest club in the world and have spent more than every other English club apart from City and Chelsea over the past 5 years. Champions League football is not an unrealistic goal. But even if it is and I'm wrong on that, I don't think you'd accuse even Bournemouth fans of delusions of grandeur if they hoped for better than having Stoke putting six goals past them when they come up next season.

I am not stupid enough to think getting rid of Brendan is a magic bullet that'll fix it. He's still been a smurfing moron this season though. He's been playing Can at right back, Glen Johnson at Centre Back, Markovic and Sterling at Wing Back and despite the fact that both work best in a strike partnership he's played Balotelli and Lambert up front as lone strikers. This trout definitely does not help.

KLOPP

FOR

THE

KOP.

That is all.

I became a Liverpool fan when I caught a random match in TV, which was not easy to find in the USA about ten or so years ago. It was the 3-1 Liverpool win at Olympiacos. Watching that game left mesmerized with how one player (Gerrard) could seemingly make all the difference in a match. Then, I began to dig in to Liverpool's history and haven't looked back since.

Today's game was impossible to watch. Literally every player on the field should walk home to Anfield, not by bus, by train or by private jet.

Rodgers has seemed more and more overwhelmed as this season has worn on and while I for a while thought he deserved a chance to have one full season to fix things, after the last few weeks, I think the club needs to move on. The defense is a shambles, the tactics are a mess and the whole operation just seems exhausted of ideas. That starts at the top and needs to change ASAP.

Take care all.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That was not a proper last game for Gerrard. That will stay with him for the rest of his life, methinks.