View Poll Results: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chelsea

6 66.67%
  • Liverpool

0 0%
  • Manchester City

1 11.11%
  • Other (Spurs, Everton, Swansea etc)

2 22.22%
Page 22 of 59 FirstFirst ... 212161718192021222324252627283242 ... LastLast

Thread: Proper Football season 2014-2015 thread

I agree with you on Rio and Vidic though, top quality defenders (which neither have been for some time) were needed at least a year ago and Moyes not doing anything about it was one of many things that cost him his job. I'm quite surprised van Gaal hasn't done much about it either.

But yeah a diamond formation would make sense, at the risk of sounding like a manager because I've put too many hours into FM myself someone in both the holding role and attacking midfield would benefit the defence rather than having one player trying the box-to-box idea - as we've established you don't have anyone capable of that currently in the team.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Diamond is two CMs, a DM and an AM. Standard 4-4-2 is LM, RM and usually two CMs (you could theoretically have a DM or whatever in there but we're splitting hairs). To show you the difference, if you look again at the Liverpool formation, you can't really say Allen and Henderson are wingers - they both play fairly centrally.
    Yeah, like I said, it's just the FM player in me. I just play "count the midfielders", because that's what FM does. You can have a lot of different 4-4-2's in that game. =]

Also perhaps, but let's note that 4-3-3 and 3-5-2 doesn't require your central 3 to be as good as your central 2 in a 4-4-2, owing directly to the numbers game.
    Depends, really. I would say that the 3-5-2 has shown us just how bad our midfield are, compared to last season where we still managed to get by. But then, I've yet to really see 3-5-2 with United players that genuinely understand 3-5-2. Perhaps it will grow on me once our players are settled into it, but I just really miss three at the back. 3-5-2 also probably works a lot better when you have actual wingbacks. Valencia is alright, but Young is just so freaking bad in defence. He can concede fouls as a winger, but conceding fouls as a wingback is a recipe for free kick practice for the opposition. Also, Touré and Febregas are hardly box to box these days. Both are attacking midfielders.

Also also, I SAID it helped your point you Borini xD It straight up called out Vidic on smurfing up which agrees with what you said
    Ohhhh, sorry. Misread.

EDIT: Genuinely unsure where you guys are getting this information regarding Herrera being incapable of playing box to box. I wasn't aware you guys had watched him play loads of games? I mean, even WhoScored seem to write out his strengths as defence + attack (actually his defensive contribution tends to be high). Every game he played in pre-season he was running around like a madman, tackling, passing, shooting, the works. Dropped deep, loves to tackle, harried opposition, chased down the ball, tackled, got ball, ran with the ball, made passes, occasionally shot, etc.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

UPDATED SEASON PREDICTIONS POST WINDOW (With gap in levels between teams):

1. Chelsea

2. Man City

3. Liverpool

4. Arsenal

5. Everton
    6. Man Utd

7. Spurs
    8. Swansea

9. Hull
    10. Newcastle
    11. Sunderland
    12. Stoke
    13. Aston Villa
    14. West Ham

15. Southampton
    16. QPR
    17. Leicester

18. Burnley
    19. WBA
    20. Palace

Chelsea just look scary good this year. If they are actually going to score like this and still play the usual Jose D they will run away with the title. A fantastic window too, tidy and got everything they needed early.

Still don't think Utd did enough. They bought big names but not where they needed it. Their D is going to be their undoing this year. Blind will be good but he's not the defensive addition they really needed either. Vidal or Pogba would have been ideal. Maybe, MAYBE they can push for 4th but I think Arsenal are a better squad with a more complete team. Thank God they signed another striker. Otherwise I think Gooners would have jumped off a bridge.

Everton have had a lot of tough luck but I don't think they are nearly as bad as they've shown so far. I thought Hull had a great window as did Swans.

As for Liverpool, if the Valdes signing does happen, I don't think we could have asked for more. Every hole was filled and we have depth everywhere. In the near future I could see us adding another good central mid as Stevie gets phased out but I think we're primed to contend all season long.

Also, one final note, which I know Paul will agree 100%: I LOVE Xabi Alonso. He spurned the chance to return to the EPL because the offers were from Liverpool rivals and instead opted to remain a Kop idol AND gets to play on another great squad that I think will use him well. Just pure class and I think Munich got a real steal as well for their season.

Now, FINALLY, the season can be about football.

Take care all.
    Last edited by The Captain; 09-02-2014 at 04:45 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by The Captain View Post
    I LOVE Xabi Alonso. He spurned the chance to return to the EPL because the offers were from Liverpool rivals and instead opted to remain a Kop idol AND gets to play on another great squad that I think will use him well. Just pure class and I think Munich got a real steal as well for their season.
    Xabi Alonso is callous and cruel and he should be killed. I saw him kick a dog once.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Xabi Alonso is, without doubt, one of the most beautiful men in world football in both body (THAT BEARD ), personality and the silky way he plays football.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Captain View Post
    I LOVE Xabi Alonso. He spurned the chance to return to the EPL because the offers were from Liverpool rivals and instead opted to remain a Kop idol AND gets to play on another great squad that I think will use him well. Just pure class and I think Munich got a real steal as well for their season.
    Xabi Alonso is callous and cruel and he should be killed. I saw him kick a dog once.
    The dog was probably a United or Everton fan so Xabi knew it needed a kick.

Seriously though, it seems quite rare for a player to actually take rivalries in to consideration when plotting their transfers. The fact that he actually mentioned it in his reasoning is quite lovely for fans who live and die by their squads.

Take care all.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I can't think of any players in the modern game that have played for Liverpool AND Manchester United outside of Owen, and I don't doubt that many more would have if they weren't rivals. Heinze was close, but he later stated that he was an idiot or something for doing such a thing. I'm guessing Psy can think of a few more.

Blog Entries

Predicting Falcao as this season's Torres. Already saved for later.

Also
    Quote Originally Posted by The Captain
    8. Swansea

there was a picture here

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    I can't think of any players in the modern game that have played for Liverpool AND Manchester United outside of Owen, and I don't doubt that many more would have if they weren't rivals. Heinze was close, but he later stated that he was an idiot or something for doing such a thing. I'm guessing Psy can think of a few more.
    Since the Premiership began Paul Ince is the only other one.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Since the Premiership began Paul Ince is the only other one.
    I just thought it was interesting that Xabi actually mentioned the rivalry as a reason for not coming back to England. Few players actually take the time to mention such things.

And beyond the top 7, Swans are about as good as any, so I could definitely see them finishing there. They've looked a very together side thus far.

Take care all.

I wrote Swansea off at the beginning of the season, and although we're only three games in they're looking good. Gary Monk has a decent group of players and they all seem to respect him and want to play well for him, there are currently very few managers who can command that outside of Mourinho, Sean Dyche and Gus Poyet in the Premiership.

It's definitely a trait that makes up for the lack of experience he and the latter two have at that level, and because of that a top 8 finish is a real possibility for Swansea.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Yeah, I can see Swansea being last season's Southampton. Hopefully they can keep a few more of their players than the Saints did, though, should they do well.

Articles

Swansea lost a lot more players than Southampton did. De Guzman, Michu, Vorm, Chico Flores, Davies, Hernandez etc. The media narrative hasn't really focused on that because they didn't go for £stupid to huge clubs like the likes of Shaw, Lallana and Lovren did, so if anything Swansea have had it harder. They've made some good signings though.

Southampton have made some good signings too like Pelle and Tadic, and they've held onto some great players like Schneiderlein and Wanyama, and there's still plenty of exciting young English talent like Clyne and Ward-Prowse there. Southampton will be last year's Southampton. They're in nowhere near as in bad shape as the media would have you believe.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I just can't shake the feeling that the Saints are going to drop down the table from last season while the Swans will rise. Of course, I'll probably be quoted at the end of the season by Manus for all I know.

Blog Entries

You're all being quoted. The Swans may have won their first three games against average to poor opposition (SPOILER)(i'll leave you guess which ) but I fully expect them to return to form and start throwing away points within the next few weeks. Our defence is even more of a shambles this season than it was last season. There doesn't seem to be a plan B in the squad and teams will work us out eventually. I will be very pleased with our season if we can make 11th again.

there was a picture here