View Poll Results: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chelsea

6 66.67%
  • Liverpool

0 0%
  • Manchester City

1 11.11%
  • Other (Spurs, Everton, Swansea etc)

2 22.22%
Page 24 of 59 FirstFirst ... 414181920212223242526272829303444 ... LastLast

Thread: Proper Football season 2014-2015 thread

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Yep.

There was a little bit of interchange with Welbeck, Sturridge and Sterling in the WC which were probably England's brightest offensive moments. Then someone slow and ponderous like Gerrard or Rooney would ruin everything by mitroutting a pass or taking too long to even make one.

EDIT: ...hahaha mis-hitting.

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

late to the party but swansea are a total one man team, Jonjo is their messiah, will lead them to champions league football within the next three years guaranteed. united fans must have the most disgusting covetous looks of jealousy plastered across their faces when they see such a mercurial midfield talent not being called upon to save their flagging midfield.

4-4-2 is rubbish on football manager. 4-2-3-1 or christmas tree all day son.

lonny bob's attempt to turn "i've seen him play loads so he is this role" into the football threads "I'm not racist i've got a black friend" is endearing. I've never watched a full 90 minutes of Lionel Messi, does this mean I am mistaken in my belief that he is not a target man?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by DK View Post
    4-4-2 is rubbish on football manager. 4-2-3-1 or christmas tree all day son.
    Depends on the version of FM you're playing, but I do like 4-2-3-1 with wingbacks instead of fullbacks. 4-4-2 still the formation that has worked for me the best over a long time, though (FM2012).
    lonny bob's attempt to turn "i've seen him play loads so he is this role" into the football threads "I'm not racist i've got a black friend" is endearing. I've never watched a full 90 minutes of Lionel Messi, does this mean I am mistaken in my belief that he is not a target man?
    Are we comparing the average bloke's knowledge of Herrera to the average bloke's knowledge of Messi now? xD Please. You're no more knowledgeable of Herrera than the next bloke. "He's a midfielder, right?" "Played for that one Spanish side." "Spanish, not very stocky, so he's not very defensive." C'mon, out with your information before you say "oh, he's not..."

Of course, I don't fall into the belief that you need a box to box midfielder to have a successful 4-4-2 regardless. United have won a few league titles since we lost Keane, and even then Keane was never a box to box midfielder in his closing seasons at Old Trafford. Who were the box to box midfielders when we were off winning titles with a 4-4-2 formation, if Herrera is not one?

In the end, it's a case of finding the right players with the right balance and the right manager to make good use of 'em. Box to box midfielders can really improve any formation, sure, but if you guys don't think Herrera is a box to box midfielder then I suppose United haven't had one for years (but have been very successful despite it).
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles

Uhhh, United didn't successfully play 4-4-2 after Keane left. They did for a bit while Jose dominated, but in United's successful teams of the past 5 years first you had the Tevez - Rooney - Ronaldo 4-2-3-1 and then in Ferguson's final season it was 4-3-1-2 diamond. http://eplindex.com/20573/footballin...-ferguson.html Fergie was ahead of the curve again. It's that idiot David "4-4-2 and lots of crosses are the DNA of Man United!" Moyes who played a flat 4-4-2 in 2014.

I'm not saying Herrera is or isn't box-to-box, but I am saying so far I don't see that he's a better player than say Joe Allen, another box-to-box midfielder, and I don't think you could build a title challenge around either in a 4-4-2.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Uhhh, United didn't successfully play 4-4-2 after Keane left. They did for a bit while Jose dominated, but in United's successful teams of the past 5 years first you had the Tevez - Rooney - Ronaldo 4-2-3-1 and then in Ferguson's final season it was 4-3-1-2 diamond. http://eplindex.com/20573/footballin...-ferguson.html Fergie was ahead of the curve again. It's that idiot David "4-4-2 and lots of crosses are the DNA of Man United!" Moyes who played a flat 4-4-2 in 2014.

I'm not saying Herrera is or isn't box-to-box, but I am saying so far I don't see that he's a better player than say Joe Allen, another box-to-box midfielder, and I don't think you could build a title challenge around either in a 4-4-2.
    I dunno, I think we played a hell of a lot of games 4-4-2 (while we did I agree dabble with 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 as you suggested). SAF was very versatile in his later seasons, but 4-4-2 was still the basic style he reverted to for most games. After Ronaldo left, we played Valencia, Young, Nani etc. on the wings with Rooney filling in on occasion. As for Tevez-Rooney-Ronaldo - I wouldn't say that was a 4-2-3-1. I would say it was a mix between 4-3-3 and 4-4-2. Even then, though, we almost always had someone on each side who would play as a winger during build-up play. The rest just really depended on how many midfielders SAF felt like playing.

I don't expect us to mount a title challenge this season. xD I'm expecting us to mount a CL challenge this season. I think most United fans agree with me on that one - the title is still not something we can realistically go for. It's not that I don't think the players are good enough, it's that I don't think they are familiar enough with one another (let alone the manager, let alone the formation). Also I expect us to continue with our horrible plague of injuries because nobody will ever fix that for us.

EDIT: And Moyes only played 4-4-2 for 45-70 minutes of each game. After that he would take off some midfielders and put on more strikers. If there was one thing I was always critical of Moyes for, it was that. We finished nearly every game with 4-1-1-4.

EDITRA: Fantastic article, btw. Great find.

Articles

Roy Hodgson's general existence actually makes me really angry. I just read through a huge article of quotes by him during his six months at Anfield and it's smurfing obscene. Saying he'd hoped for a 0-0 after losing at home to bottom of the table Wolves. "That was our best performance of the season" after losing 2-0 to Everton. Describing League Two Northampton as a "formidable challenge" (and then promptly losing to them). What the smurf. God damnit. Useless sack of trout. Hope Switzerland smash us 8-0 and he gets the sack.

So do I in all honesty, he never should have got the job ahead of Harry Redknapp (at the time) and should have been sacked after the World Cup. With that in mind it seems like it doesn't matter how badly the team perform, the FA are going to let Hodgson see out his contract until after the Euros, which is really bad for the national side.

The job is a poisoned chalice admittedly, but there must have been someone better available who had a decent season with Fulham (after barely avoiding relegation the season before) and then completely bombed at Liverpool.

As always I was bored to tears watching the Norway game, you know times are bad when the commentators are calling for Steven Gerrard's return which covers your earlier point of him slowing down a game or smacking a hopeful ball 40 yards up the field. It's great when it works one time in a game and has Adrian Chiles gushing, but their failure to mention the other 15 times he fluffed the pass infuriates me. I had really hoped a team with an average age of 24 (and the oldest being 29) would inject some needed enthusiasm into the team, but that'll never happen with Rooney as captain either.

Blog Entries

Roy Hodgson's general existence actually makes me really angry. I just read through a huge article of quotes by him during his six months at Anfield and it's smurfing obscene.
    Stopped reading at "I like a high tempo passing game"

I'm also reluctant to pin too much blame on Hodgson for England's chronic average-ness. It makes people believe that if they just change the manager things might look up. The reality is that the players themselves (and the player pool) just aren't very good. People thought the same thing about Fabio Capello, and I thought he got England to play the best any team with Matthew Upson in it could. I look at the -unbelievably troute- Wales side and there are at least 4 players in it who I think would be in the England XI were they English.

Maybe what England need right now is a Gascoigne/Beckham character who genuinely seems to give it all for the team and produces a spark with the fans, giving them a reason to go and watch what is essentially 11 overpaid uninspiring footballers kick it long for 90 minutes. Someone like Andrew Flintoff was for the cricket team (being a pillock notwithstanding), who can manage to inspire victories all by themselves. At the moment who gives a trout about watching James Milner shank it into the crowd for the 10th time?

there was a picture here

Articles

Is this another demand for a Nathan Dyer call up?

Blog Entries

I will not rest, I will not sleep.

there was a picture here

Articles

Well, Raheem Sterling is easily England's best and most exciting player and I believe won MotM in three of his last four internationals. According to your good self Dyer is twice the player poor old Razza is so Dyer must be one hell of a talent. Roy still won't call him up though.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I'm curious as to the chosen formation you guys would all play, and who would fill the spots. Go on, get your muppet hats on!

Articles

I sort of want to build the team around Sterling so I might use Liverpool's Diamond to get the best out of him.

so

Hart

Flanagan Cahill Jones Shaw

Delph/Huddlestone

Henderson-----------Lallana

Sterling

Sturridge - Welbeck

However, I have always been a 4-3-3 boy as such:

Hart

Flanagan Cahill Jones Shaw

Delph/Huddlestone

Henderson-----Lallana

Walcott - Sturridge - Sterling

This has the added bonus of Theo Walcott (underrated player) but you have shunted Sterling out of the no 10 position where he is most effective. And Walcott is presently injured so it might end up being Danny Welbeck or, ugh, Andros Townsend. Ox and Barkley providing cover in midfield. With Phase 1 of my Anti-Scouse agenda taking shape with Gerrard gone, I will not rest in my mission until Rooney and Baines follow. I say that, but then I'm all aboard the Flanagan train Glen Johnson can bugger off now. Out of shape, carrying few extra pounds, lost that yard of pace and in poor form.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Jones ahead of Smalling, eh? Always weird picking between those two, but I always feel much safer at the back at United with Smalling around rather than Jones, because the latter will undoubtedly go Luiz at some point in the game and fluff it up. Smalling is a beast when played in central defence and leaks fewer goals. Both are pretty rubbish at right back, though, where they've often been played. Personally I've grown to feel Jones' best position is DM. He's not amazing at it, but if he screws up, well, he's generally not the last line of defence that way and the more reliable types can save his face. And what a face to save.

Admittedly don't know enough about Lallana or Shaw just yet. Barely seen either play (EDIT: Same for Flanagan). Dunno too much about Delph/Huddlestone either tbh, despite seeing them play a fair bit I've never noticed them much.

Articles

Hoping Chambers makes the step up so it's a non-issue, but yeah, Jones did well against Norway.