Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some E3 Statistics - Lets Discuss

Articles

Default Some E3 Statistics - Lets Discuss

So I've come across some graphs that depict how E3 went down this year. I thought it would be interesting to get some discussion going around them

Based on percentages, Microsoft have the most games coming out this year

Sony had the longest press conference, but spent the least amount of time showing games. Conversely, Nintendo had the shortest conference but had the longest time of showing games

Games can now be categorized 2 ways, "Shooter" or "Other". Sony showed 21 shooter games this year whereas Nintendo showed off 2.

Only 10 of the games Microsoft showed are exclusive, while all 12 of the games Nintendo showed are excusive.

What are your thoughts on the above statistics? Do you think they accurately portray this years E3?

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It would be interesting to compare these to last year. I do feel a lot more games to come out next year were discussed than in the past.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

You know, I did feel the Sony press conference was weak for me and this graph kind of explains it to me since I don't really like shooters. The Exclusives thing also didn't surprise me very much as I felt Microsoft was still suffering from last year's issue of "every game I want I can get on the PS4 as well, so why should I bother with you?" and Nintendo's graph would be more mind boggling if they did actually have a third party game coming out for it.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    and Nintendo's graph would be more mind boggling if they did actually have a third party game coming out for it.
    Xenoblade Chronicles X?

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Microsoft definitely learned lessons from last year and had a good showing. However, the exclusivity is where they fall down hard as a brand. I think they should invest in a couple of new studios. This "We get exclusive DLC! ...for a year! Maybe!" strategy has not really worked out for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    and Nintendo's graph would be more mind boggling if they did actually have a third party game coming out for it.
    Xenoblade Chronicles X?
    Monolith was bought out by Nintendo and isFirst Party now.

Regardless they have third party titles, it's just they weren't announced at the main conference, but they were generally covered as the show went on.

Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Bayonetta 2?

Also a First Party now after Nintendo Bought them out. :P

Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

But they're making Scalebound for XBOX One too? Can't find anything about Nintendo buying them out, only that it was on the cards a few times but never officially done.

Ah, my mistake, Nintendo didn't by them out, it's just in case of Baynonetta 2 Nintendo funded a good portion of the game and published it. However because of that, it's still listed as a first party title from Nintendo.

Kind of like how Hyrule Warriors is first party, even though it's the DW team who are developing it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shauna View Post
    What are your thoughts on the above statistics? Do you think they accurately portray this years E3?
    No, because percentages never speak as loudly as the raw data. For example, you highlighted how at Nintendo's conference they showed a grand total of only 12 games and that told me more than any of those pie charts. All in all, I found it more interesting the pie charts you didn't show: the percentage of new IPs, third party exclusives, and how much gameplay was actually shown.

There's such an enormous gap between the length of the presses and number of games shown, you can't take percentages to understand each conference. Focusing on the three manufacturers is also too small a lens to analyze the bigger picture at E3, unless of course the console wars is something that's important to you.

What we need is a list of games showed off at the E3 floor, but not the press conference, but I've not found much at all on that listing.

Other then a few titles like Devil's Third, Story of Seasons, Harvest Moon: The Lost Valley, and some camera shenanagins game on WiiU I dont' give to trouts about., I'm not really sure what got shown off on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    Ah, my mistake, Nintendo didn't by them out, it's just in case of Baynonetta 2 Nintendo funded a good portion of the game and published it. However because of that, it's still listed as a first party title from Nintendo.
    It's an interesting deal. SEGA is still the IP owner for Bayonetta. Nintendo did indeed fund and publish the game, but that does not disqualify the game from getting ported. Case in point: Ninja Gaiden 2 was funded and published by Microsoft, but it didn't stop TECMO from porting it to the PS3.

Quote Originally Posted by nirojan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    It's an interesting deal. SEGA is still the IP owner for Bayonetta. Nintendo did indeed fund and publish the game, but that does not disqualify the game from getting ported. Case in point: Ninja Gaiden 2 was funded and published by Microsoft, but it didn't stop TECMO from porting it to the PS3.
    Nintendo also funded and published the English localization of Bravely Default. Yet it is still a Square title.

Also, as to "number of games", while Bolivar is correct that Nintendo had far fewer than the others, I would like to point out that I can name and describe almost all of Nintendo's, while I can name maybe three of each of the other companies, despite having seen all of their presentations, and being really interested in Sony's to see what the PS4 had (since I'll be getting one for Persona 5 anyway).

BTW, were all of Sony and Microsoft's showcased games first party?
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.