View Poll Results: Would you like to see the leveling system in a modern FF?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely. I think it's cool that what happens to your character is what grows.

7 58.33%
  • Yes, but only for certain stats.

0 0%
  • Sort of. Maybe some aspects here and there.

0 0%
  • No. I don't think it will work in a modern game and/or [other reason]

0 0%
  • Absolutely not. It sucked before and it sucks now!

2 16.67%
  • [inevitable comparison to DBZ]

2 16.67%
  • I refuse to answer this poll.

0 0%
  • Other opinion not covered by poll.

0 0%
  • Highwind would be a good name for a stoner rock band.

1 8.33%

Thread: Getting STRONGER!!!

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Getting STRONGER!!!

So, would you like to see how characters "level up" in a modern FF? Why or why not?

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Absolutely not. It sucked before and it sucks now! (Though the DBZ option is rather tempting.)
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

YES because it was super different and I loved it.

Square refined the system rather well in the SaGa series, so I wouldn't mind seeing it reappear in a modern FF game. That said, however, I'd much prefer a new SaGa game implementing the system instead of a new FF, but I don't foresee that happening.

As for why I'd like to see these leveling mechanics revisited: I like (the concept behind) the system. I appreciate being able to grow characters into the roles I want them in, as opposed to being told what they'll be, and that it takes time to grow them into said roles, so my characters aren't 'hot-swapable' between jobs as the situation demands; though it was dropped from the SaGa series, I also liked the idea of magic growing with use, as it showed the character becoming more proficient and powerful with the magic.

That said, the primary focus with the leveling system in the original FF2, to me, always felt like 'pick a weapon and bash yourself until you feel confident enough to go on', which ultimately lead to me having a party of fighters with different weapons and similar basic magics, which was always rather unfortunate; the system that let me specialize my characters however I wanted invariably led to me specializing three nigh identical warriors dragging whatever unfortunate corpse happened to occupy my fourth slot though whatever dungeon we were trudging through.

If the system were to be implemented in a new game, I'd like to see skills associated with weapon and gear proficiency levels, as well as more defined gear-type advantages and disadvantages, to encourage diversity in character roles; a more manageable magic growth system would be much appreciated as well. I have always felt there was significant promise in the work started by FF2's leveling system, and with a little more experimental hammering done on what the SaGa series has done with it so far, I think something exceptional, for the FF series, is possible.

Not that it'll ever happen.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rez09 View Post
    Square refined the system rather well in the SaGa series, so I wouldn't mind seeing it reappear in a modern FF game. That said, however, I'd much prefer a new SaGa game implementing the system instead of a new FF, but I don't foresee that happening.

As for why I'd like to see these leveling mechanics revisited: I like (the concept behind) the system. I appreciate being able to grow characters into the roles I want them in, as opposed to being told what they'll be, and that it takes time to grow them into said roles, so my characters aren't 'hot-swapable' between jobs as the situation demands; though it was dropped from the SaGa series, I also liked the idea of magic growing with use, as it showed the character becoming more proficient and powerful with the magic.

That said, the primary focus with the leveling system in the original FF2, to me, always felt like 'pick a weapon and bash yourself until you feel confident enough to go on', which ultimately lead to me having a party of fighters with different weapons and similar basic magics, which was always rather unfortunate; the system that let me specialize my characters however I wanted invariably led to me specializing three nigh identical warriors dragging whatever unfortunate corpse happened to occupy my fourth slot though whatever dungeon we were trudging through.

If the system were to be implemented in a new game, I'd like to see skills associated with weapon and gear proficiency levels, as well as more defined gear-type advantages and disadvantages, to encourage diversity in character roles; a more manageable magic growth system would be much appreciated as well. I have always felt there was significant promise in the work started by FF2's leveling system, and with a little more experimental hammering done on what the SaGa series has done with it so far, I think something exceptional, for the FF series, is possible.

Not that it'll ever happen.
    Yeah, the picking up a weapon and bashing yourself thing did feel rather silly. My hope is that if an idea like that is revisited, the developers won't let players do that, or at least offer more incentive to have players play the game how it was intended.

I know most RPG enthusiasts don't mind grinding (I can tolerate it in most circumstances), but I think they should tone down some requirements to get certain stats with a system like this. It just makes the game flow better. Plus, there is a huge difference between making a game challenging and tedious.

Have you tried Romacing SaGa 3 or SaGa Frontier, by chance?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Have you tried Romacing SaGa 3 or SaGa Frontier, by chance?
    I remember a friend rented SaGa Frontier when I was a teen, and it looked pretty interesting. SaGa 3 I have not seen at all. I know very little about the series, but I take it you are asking because you feel they play somewhat how I described? If so, cool. I'll have to give them a shot one day.

The leveling system in Romancing SaGa 3 and for humans in SaGa Frontier are similar to what you mentioned. They differ a bit between themselves, but the general idea is that using magic improves your magic using stats and using physical skills increases physical stats. However, unlike FF2, these stat increases aren't determined by using command 'x' 'y' times, but rather semi-randomly depending on what skills you used and your relative stat levels compared to the enemies you are fighting. This makes the system much harder to exploit, while still providing you the ability to develop your characters however you'd like based upon their actions. The games also level enemies, sans bosses as I recall, with your party, so there isn't ever a need to grind stats, and enemies aren't generally a cakewalk either.

Articles
    Blog Entries

The leveling system in Romancing SaGa 3 and for humans in SaGa Frontier are similar to what you mentioned. They differ a bit between themselves, but the general idea is that using magic improves your magic using stats and using physical skills increases physical stats. However, unlike FF2, these stat increases aren't determined by using command 'x' 'y' times, but rather semi-randomly depending on what skills you used and your relative stat levels compared to the enemies you are fighting. This makes the system much harder to exploit, while still providing you the ability to develop your characters however you'd like based upon their actions. The games also level enemies, sans bosses as I recall, with your party, so there isn't ever a need to grind stats, and enemies aren't generally a cakewalk either.
    Damn, that does sound good. I'll definitely have to put those on my looooooong to do list.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Yes, Leveling up is the core of all the fun..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing a refined version of this make a comeback and it kind of did with FFXIV though I think that was pre-ARR. It was honestly a better thought out system than you would think and I honestly don't think we ever saw a system quite as in-depth until FFVI. Rez09 has a pretty good lineup of how an improved system should look. Honestly just make magic easier to grind cause damn....