Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Controversial pop-culture opinions

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I can tell you why I have the most unpopular opinions. Because I disagree with a lot of you.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I don't understand why people want the autographs of cosplayers.

I understand it takes time and dedication to make a costume. There's definitely a craft to it, but you're essentially just a well dressed fan among fans.

Nothing against it, though. If someone can explain to me the joy they get from it I can probably be swayed.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Perducci View Post
    Michael Keaton is the best movie Batman.

Batman Begins is the best of the Nolan Batman trilogy.
    That's not controversy, that's just true.

Quote Originally Posted by shion View Post
    I like the Star Wars prequels
    I used to like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post

Big Bang Theory isn't that funny. Shelton is obnoxious.
    Sense of humor is largely subjective, but in this case...that's the point...

Stephen Colbert on his worse day is funnier than the Jon Daily Show on his best day, & I'm saying this as a Stewart fan.
    I thought that was a widely accepted fact?

This. Shouldn't have lasted three seasons. Let alone seven (or however many seasons there are, now.)
    And got picked up for three more and you are wrong, there are several million people who are quite happy it has lasted this long. When it first came out, I didn't think it would last.

As far as my own opinions...I don't know that I have any off the top of my head...hmmm

Barney was the best Godzilla?
    Books are better than movies?

FFXIV Character

Devore Jojishi (Sargatanas)

Ron Weasley is a cowardly idiot and it made no sense that Hermione liked him over Harry.

I'm not a fan of the Inbetweeners, not really a fan of shows which is just a series of awkward moments. Same reason why I never really enjoyed the office either.

I do not care for reality tv. I liked them at first but now I wish they would die.

Do You Like Waffles? DarkBahamut's Avatar

I'm 16, turning 17 on the eighteenth of July, but I had a full (thick I must add) beard at the age of 14.

It's pretty controversial.

No time for "Dilly-Dallying" or "Shilly-Shallying."
    Props go to the one and only, Proxy, for the signature.

FFXIV Character

Harry didn't deserve Hermione or anyone else. Harry Potter was a twat. He lucked into his life and didn't earn a damn thing. Typical case of one guy getting the praise while everyone around him does all the real work.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I totally agree w/ Sephex on zombies.

This is controversial?

BBT is a show about what non-nerds think being a nerd is about. I guess I can see why it succeeded. Regular people love to laugh at those smurfing nerds.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Wow so here's one, and if you'd told me I would be posting this a couple of hours ago I would have punched you in the face:

The 1998 version of American Godzilla was better than the 2014 movie. The new Godzilla movie is pretty bad and after the halfway mark when the kaiju are revealed it just becomes boring. I honestly did not know that a kaiju movie could be boring but here we are. As bad as the '98 one was it at least had focus and sustained themes instead of not knowing whether it's a kaiju movie or a story about a guy in a disaster (and failing at both) and whether it wants to be about father-son relationships (and aside from Joe and Ford failing utterly at it, and that success is solely down to Cranston's acting strength) or insipid troute where we're simultaneously at nature's mercy but how very very dare we try to use any of the tools that might save us.

Sorry new Godzilla movie team, but just the fact of seeing Godzilla's existence and appealing to nostalgia isn't enough to make a movie actually good.

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Adequate View Post
    Wow so here's one, and if you'd told me I would be posting this a couple of hours ago I would have punched you in the face:

The 1998 version of American Godzilla was better than the 2014 movie. The new Godzilla movie is pretty bad and after the halfway mark when the kaiju are revealed it just becomes boring. I honestly did not know that a kaiju movie could be boring but here we are. As bad as the '98 one was it at least had focus and sustained themes instead of not knowing whether it's a kaiju movie or a story about a guy in a disaster (and failing at both) and whether it wants to be about father-son relationships (and aside from Joe and Ford failing utterly at it, and that success is solely down to Cranston's acting strength) or insipid troute where we're simultaneously at nature's mercy but how very very dare we try to use any of the tools that might save us.

Sorry new Godzilla movie team, but just the fact of seeing Godzilla's existence and appealing to nostalgia isn't enough to make a movie actually good.
    You're not being controversial, you're just being wrong. :P
    The problem with this is that the new movie got the one thing right it had to get right. Godzilla was badass, the fighting was badass, and though he didn't get much screen time, what time he did get was exciting and worth even a boring 90 minute wait. 1994 Godzilla failed at the one thing a Godzilla movie has to get right, which is Godzilla himself. Take Godzilla out of both movies and yes the 1994 movie had a better underlying story (which is only testament to how bad the 2014 movie was).

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Speaking of ginormous monsters, Peter Jackson's King Kong was the best one. (Forgive me if I mentioned this.)

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

WHAT

Blog Entries

I hate most technology. I don't own a cell phone anymore or phone of any type. LoTR smurfing sucked. I loved the movies and The Hobbit is a fantastic book. But, the LoTR books were horrible. Movies suck. Most TV sucks. Most new music is atrocious. I can keep going forever

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    I thought Firefly was boring and could barely make it pass the pilot. Doesn't help that the genre mix isn't something I'm all that interested in either or that people hyped it to the moon.

Michael Keaton is the best movie Batman.
    I wasn't aware this was a controversial opinion.
    Me either. This version is my fav.

Here is my unpopular opinion: professorial gaming is lame. I know that will be very unpopular to a lot of you gamers.

Also all of these shows are terrible:
    Firefly
    Falicity
    Lost
    True Blood
    Walking Dead (though I watch it because I love horror and there isn't enough horror representation in television that isn't smurfing werewolfs or vampires)
    Anything on the WB or whatever they're calling themselves now
    Gossip Girl
    Big Bang Theory
    How I Met Your Mother
    Pretty much all television
    Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia
    This list goes on

I have tried and watched many episodes from several of these. smurf most television. I dislike other well liked shows but I don't feel their necessarily bad just not of my taste e.g. Seinfeld.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    WHAT
    That's right. Peter Jackson's King Kong (2005) is the best King Kong movie. In fact, it's probably one of my favoUrite movies of all time. I even loved the novelization.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Yeah I mean was the original King Kong movie really anything great?