Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Help me play FFTA2

This will be a Let's Play but with much more input from everyone! You will help me decide who will have which jobs, who to use in battle, which abilities to set, and so on! Hopefully I can get some help with this

*Note: I have the all job classes + abilities unlocked, so as soon as I introduce the characters, you can give me which job(s) they should have and which abilities.

To avoid this taking forever, there won't be votes, but I'll still go with what seems to be the most popular option by the time I play again.

Let's get started

We start out with a narrative

Attachment 57472Attachment 57473

Am I the only one who has never had summer homework?

Attachment 57474

I decide to stick with the default character name

Attachment 57475

This is something I get to fill out!

Attachment 57476

Who am I kidding

Attachment 57477

I would like that!

Attachment 57478

That's the only one I have a problem with

So we see our young hero getting ready to leave for summer vacation, but

Attachment 57479Attachment 57480

Turns out Luso has a problem with tardiness, so the teacher tells him to go clean up the library.

The teacher/librarian man who should be there isn't there, but Luso finds a book!

Attachment 57481

He's very well mannered

Attachment 57482

Then he spots a line asking for a name, so he puts his own in

Which leads to this:

Attachment 57483

I've never had any of my books do this

And then he falls down a hole

Meanwhile...

Attachment 57484

This trio here seems ready to take on this giant chicken when who should crash the part?

Attachment 57485

Nope, that doesn't look like Mr. Randall at all

Attachment 57486

How odd of him to offer some strange kid to join his clan. He tells Luso that if he joins the clan he can get injured, but not killed. Luso agrees and the mystery fellow summons a judge for Luso to swear an oath to

Attachment 57487

And he gets some... interesting new clothes

Attachment 57488

They have the introductions and then the battle begins!

Attachment 57489

No ranged weapons is not really a problem

So we win the tutorial fight and Luso realizes something

Attachment 57490

Cid wants to know more about what's going on, but Luso is hungry, so they head to the tavern

Tavern food is the best food

Attachment 57491

Yep.

Attachment 57492

Cid agrees to help Luso find his way home, but for now, Luso wants to know if the clan has a name

0022.png

First order of business

Decide a name for the clan please

The Old Skool Warrior LocoColt04's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Crysanthe Mariveaux (Ultros)

^

Brilliant plan!

Also, here is a super neat image for you to utilize in your adventures:

And this nifty wikia list of FFTA2 Jobs and their relevant statistics! Also, that's where I just hijacked the image above from.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yar, I was going to write up a guide when it comes time for u guise to help me decide job classes, but now you've saved me the trouble

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wizard of Fynn View Post
    Why not clan Centurio, as an homage to FFXII?
    Because FFXII's clan is already in this game, as you find out way later.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well I am going by popular vote and clan Centurio was the only one suggested, so that it is!

Luso introduces himself to his new Clan!

0023.png

Afterwards, Luso asks Cid if fighting monsters is all Clans do. Cid responds that its mostly that but there is also some other stuff

0024.png

But of course before then we need a welcoming party!

0025.png

Now I need you to decide the jobs for each member!

Each can have 1 or 2 jobs. Feel free to suggest for multiple characters!

0026.png

Options:
    Soldier - Soldiers employ the arts of war to weaken and slow opponents
    White Mage - White mages use curing magicks to mend allies' wounds and restore them to health
    Archer - Archers stand out of harm's way, raining arrows upon their foes from afar
    Black Mage - Black Mages wield the elemental powers of fire, ice, and lightning to decimate foes
    Blue Mage - These peculiar mages can learn the abilities of beasts and monsters, making them their own
    Fighter - Fighters are masters of the sword who put offense over defense
    Hunter - Hunters are at their finest when fighting monsters and other beasts of the wild
    Illusionist - Mages who weave illusion to overcome their foes
    Ninja - Powerful swordsmen who can wield two weapons at once and use secret skills to evoke the power of wood and earth
    Paladin - Their sturdy defense enables paladins to endure punishing attacks. They also possess a variety of abilities to aid their allies
    Pavrir - The parivir are swift and skillful combatants who finish their foes with flair
    Seer - With skills to restore magick power, this is among the most potent job to which a hume can aspire
    Thief - Dexterous and nimble, thieves excel at stealing from unwary and evading blows

0027.png

Beastmaster - Beastmasters use the innate gifts of the Nu Mou to command beasts to do their bidding
    Black Mage - Black Mages wield the elemental powers of fire, ice, and lightning to decimate foes
    White Mage - White mages use curing magicks to mend allies' wounds and restore them to health
    Alchemist - A master of transmutation, the alchemist can alter nature at a whim
    Arcanist - The archmages practice the forbidden arcane arts
    Illusionist - Mages who weave illusion to overcome their foes
    Sage - The arts of the sage are rooted in long years of study
    Scholar - Scholars pore over the yellowed pages of ancient tomes in search of the lore that is their power. Whole armies have fallen before their might
    Time Mage - These accomplished mages can alter space and time

0028.png

Fencer - Wielding a deadly rapier, the light-footed fencer strikes swift and sure
    Archer - Archers stand out of harm's way, raining arrows upon their foes from afar
    Assassin - The finely honed skills of the assassin enable her to strike with deadly force
    Elementalist - The elementalist calls on spirits of nature to lend her strength
    Green Mage - The green mage lends support on the battlefield, shielding allies and crippling foes
    Red Mage - The Red Mage commands not only white and black magicks, but also those uniquely her own
    Sniper - These elite hunters stalk their prey with immense greatbows
    Spellblade - Spellblades use their blade arts to damage and afflict foes with assorted maladies
    Summoner - Summoners call powerful Espers from the world of illusion to fight at their side

0029.png

Warrior - The Warrior is a master of melee combat, wielding one and two-handed swords with ease
    White Monk - White monks eschew the steel of swords, tempering instead their fists and bodies
    Bishop - The bishop is a powerful mage equally skilled in offense, restorative and supportive magicks
    Cannoneer - Cannoneers support the front line with fire from their hand-cannons
    Defender - Well protected, defenders stride the battlefield with little fear. They can even nullify certain attacks entirely
    Dragoon - Masters of the spear. Dragoons leap high into the air, striking foes with deadly force
    Gladiator - Gladiators wake the magick that sleeps within the quiet steel of the blade with their sparring techniques
    Master Monk - The martial arts of the master monk are without equal
    Templar - Templar knights wield powerful weapons and have a repertoire of potent support magicks
    Trickster - Tricksters spin a web of deception, twisting the flow of battle to their advantage

0030.png

SEE LUSO for available jobs

0031.png

Animist - Animists have learned the secret language of the animals, tapping their primal powers in battle
    Thief - Dexterous and nimble, thieves excel at stealing from unwary and evading blows
    Chocobo Knight - Chocobo Knights harness the innate abilities of their feathered mounts
    Flintlock - The flintlock supports his allies with magickally charged cannon actions
    Fusilier - Moogle machinists crafted the first guns, so it is no surprise that moogle fusiliers fire them with the greatest skill
    Juggler - Mayhem-making moogles in motley who juggle a variety of implements to dazzle and destroy
    Moogle Knight - The moogle knight stands equal to any hume or bangaa warrior in bravery, if not in height
    Time Mage - These accomplished mages can alter space and time
    Tinker - One of the many brands of the machinist, the tinker wages battle with his clockwork creations

Now then, back to the game!

0032.png0033.png

Good to know~

0034.png0035.png0036.png

I'll let you guys pick the optional ones when they become available and who to dispatch on dispatch missions

0037.png

This means that the problem won't actually be a problem until we pay for it

0038.png

Alrighty let's take a look at our first mission!

0039.png0040.png

I'll also let you guys decide who will be used in battle!

0041.png

Luso goes running off without preparing and Cid thinks he's hopeless

Task: Choose job classes and who will be used in the upcoming battle!

Articles

Personally, using your party I would go for this set up.

Luso - Paldin / Fighter
    Ransem - White Mage / Sage
    Koteni - Elementalist / Red Mage
    Rafgold - Defender / Gladiator
    Hurst - Archer / Hunter
    Ian - Fusilier / Flintlock

I would remove the Moogle for another Viera and the Nu Mo for another Bangaa, but that's just me. I hate don't really like either of those races.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

That's just the default party they gave me so I'll stick with it~

Those are some good job suggestions thank you

Articles

I remember when I initially started playing the game, I changed the Archer Human into a White Mage and set him down that route. Not too long after I found a white mage in my travels and they were so much better than the guy I leveled up from like lvl3 - lvl7. I basically chose classes that were similar enough to the Characters starting class, as they tend to have an stat advantage in those roles.

I also opted against suggesting

Luso - White Mage
    Ransem - White Mage
    Koteni - White Mage
    Rafgold - Bishop
    Hurst - White Mage
    Ian - Time Mage

I'm nice like that.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

You do seem like a White Mage fan xD

Articles

I love white mages. Super useful as a side job.

Stats in this game are based on the job you have when you gain a level. Each job has its own growth amounts, and its own base starter stats. So if you start as an Archer and gain a few levels as an Archer, you're going to get a lot of Archer stats. So when you switch to White Mage, you won't have nearly as high magic as someone who started White Mage and leveled as it.

That said, if you pick the right jobs to level (and get some luck, as each job actually has a growth "range" of about 3 points per stat), you can actually max several stats with enough persistence. I don't recommend it unless you are as insane as I am.

So, for stats, you need to determine if you want to spread stats out among several jobs for well rounded characters, or focus on specific jobs to optimize them.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I was personally thinking 1 to 2 jobs each and maxing those out as opposed to spreading them around. Just sticking to those jobs

Well, certain jobs are also just better than others for stats. Paladin is ideal for boosting a Hume's defense. Paravir (in addition to being just frelling awesome) has the highest Hume Strength growth, etcetera. So even if you want to make an ideal Archer, raising as a Paravir can be a huge help, etcetera. It can get really, really complicated if you want to push stats to their tops.

I actually created charts to calculate exactly how many levels I would need to get in each job to balance stats as perfectly as possible for my characters for my perfect save file.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Okay so I took Mr. Shauna's suggestions, and here is what our party looks like!

0042.png0043.png0044.png0045.png0046.png0047.png

Time to head to the mission~

0048.png0049.png

Luso likes the chocobos, which is nice to see. Soon they hear a howl

0050.png0051.png

The chocobos obey and go off screen

0052.png

Fire is forbidden this fight. Luso asks about the laws

0053.png

Luso finds them slightly annoying, as do I, but Cid explains that they bring certain benefits to the fight, such as a clan privilege, being able to revive your allies, etc

0054.png0055.png0056.png

I choose Bonus EXP for this fight and I use everyone but our viera. I was deciding between leaving the sage and the illusionist out, because the both have fire magicks, but the viera was at a higher level, so that decided it!

The battle went pretty easily and here are the results!

0057.png