Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: EoFFFe what's your lingo, have you many lingos, are you a regular speaking champion?

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Alayna Mae (Sargatanas)

I know a little Portuguese - Brazilian Portuguese specifically. My best friend lived in Brazil almost all of her life, so she learnt English and Portuguese from birth; she's been teaching me bits and pieces since I started talking to her when we were eight. I'd probably know more if she liked Portuguese more than English, but as it is she loves that I am somebody she is allowed to speak English with.

My future is fuelled by the fires of words, wit and companionship.

For a guy who's lived in as many countries as I have, I'm notoriously poor with languages.

Technically, English isn't even my mother-tongue, but because I had the type of parents who were all "ENGLISH MASTER RACE" it ended up being the language I was best at.

As a result, I can read, write and understand Urdu and Sindhi fairly well, but I'm pretty poor at speaking to be honest (doesn't help that I didn't live in my native country for very long, but that isn't really an excuse). In the same token I can read Arabic and have a faint understanding of sentence structure, but my vocabulary's abysmal.

I studied French at GSCE level (still try to pick up a few words from time-to-time) and am self-teaching Japanese.

Impressive languages, everybody! You are inspirations to my life

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Has anyone tried the Rosetta Stone programs or something similar? Man, they can be expensive, but I've heard good things.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    Has anyone tried the Rosetta Stone programs or something similar? Man, they can be expensive, but I've heard good things.
    I have not even heard of it! What is this

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Alive-Man View Post
    It's a computer/mpg player program that teaches you the language (whichever you bought) through immersion, which is how we naturally learn our native lanuages. They even have different levels for the more popular languages.

It's a computer/mpg player program that teaches you the language (whichever you bought) through immersion, which is how we naturally learn our native lanuages. They even have different levels for the more popular languages.
    How expensive is this shenanegans? I might go for it! Unless it's so expensive I can't eat! We all must eat

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Thumbs Down

How expensive is this shenanegans? I might go for it! Unless it's so expensive I can't eat! We all must eat
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...ta%2Caps%2C293

There are various prices. Full sets seem to be in the high US$400s. You won't be eating for another year.

They're not getting all that money from me!

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...ta%2Caps%2C293

There are various prices. Full sets seem to be in the high US$400s. You won't be eating for another year.
    Holy, that's expensive. It is much cheaper to be like Boobies Pie and hates the language. I think I will go with her way.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

I have the Russian Rosetta Stone. It really works but you have to stick with it. A good microphone helps, btw, as some of the articulations are very precise and very difficult. For instance, I had to get a new microphone for the software to accept my version of Здравствуйте. Zdravstvooytye. The software is very picky about some of the sound combinations, especially those pesky consonant mashups.
    It's worth the money, but it's not a miracle; there's nothing automatic about it. The structure must be adhered to and meticulously followed to actually make progress.

Quote Originally Posted by chionos View Post
    I have the Russian Rosetta Stone. It really works but you have to stick with it. A good microphone helps, btw, as some of the articulations are very precise and very difficult. For instance, I had to get a new microphone for the software to accept my version of Здравствуйте. Zdravstvooytye. The software is very picky about some of the sound combinations, especially those pesky consonant mashups.
    It's worth the money, but it's not a miracle; there's nothing automatic about it. The structure must be adhered to and meticulously followed to actually make progress.
    For the funds, and the way you describe it, I'm not gonna go for it! I would only pay such a crazy sum if it was a miracle

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Alayna Mae (Sargatanas)

Rosetta Stone is pretty cool (and can be ed if you feel like living dangerously). Also there's a site called Duolingo that I find really helpful and it's free.

My future is fuelled by the fires of words, wit and companionship.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I was about to bring up Duolingo, but Mae beat me to it xD

I find it helpful!

Thank you for all these interesting suggestions that may help me on the path to enlightenment!