Thread: Character Growth

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Character Growth

What are some stories you have found that include good examples of character growth? Books, movies, tv, comics, whatever you like.

Spirited Away is one of the most profound films centering around character growth that I've ever seen, to the extent that Chihiro starts transforming into a different character from the moment she meets Haku and she must choose to step outside her world of comfort in order to survive under Yubaba's rule. Along with the story, the visuals and wonderful magic, her own personal journey from a spoiled little whiny, clingy brat at the beginning to an enlightened, humble, pleasant little girl at the end is the most delightful thing to me about this film. What I love more is that I feel there is no particular climax moment where she transforms this way, its centered around the entire series of events that happen to her in the film. I love it, I'll never stop watching it.

Thanks to amazing Eyes On Final Fantasy Forums Experience member Jinxy I have recently read Little Women and find it to be an incredible tale of coming of age, character growth and the like! Great, beautiful stuff.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Alive-Man View Post
    Thanks to amazing Eyes On Final Fantasy Forums Experience member Jinxy I have recently read Little Women and find it to be an incredible tale of coming of age, character growth and the like! Great, beautiful stuff.
    Yeah, definitely. Especially the characters of Jo and Amy. They change from headstrong and spiteful girls to loving and courageous young ladies. My favorite book of all time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Gotto agree with honey bun on Spirited Away. One of the best anime movie I have watched.

Tom Cruise character from Edge of Tomorrow has quite a character growth judging the fact that he grew from a coward to a hero in like only a day.

Spike from Buffy The Vampire Slayer grows an awful lot! He somehow manages to grow from being very evil and then loves without a soul to the point of deciding to go and get a soul. Then grows even more and saves the world! Growth.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Possibly the best I've seen is Kotarou from Rewrite. The wonderful thing about his character growth is that he becomes an entirely different person depending on what path you go through. Some of my absolute favorite character growth. Hell, his special ability is literally rewriting himself. Rewriting his body or parts of it into something else.

Little Busters! has some great character growth, and a lot of it you actively feel while reading the visual novel. Riki and Rin, mainly, but also Haruka. Some of it just could not be replicated in the anime, which is why I much prefer the visual novel.

Tomoya from Clannad is also another good example, and Nagisa as well of course. Although Tomoya x Tomoyo is my favorite pairing, I must say that Tomoya and Nagisa really push each other forward. And then there's After Story.

Yeah, I do like Key a lot.
    Last edited by Karifean; 06-28-2014 at 03:52 PM.