Thread: Frances Bean Cobain Tells Lana Del Rey "Early Death Isn't 'Cool"

Blog Entries

Default Frances Bean Cobain Tells Lana Del Rey "Early Death Isn't 'Cool"

Did anyone hear about this? Some Del Rey fans screamed to leave her alone, in more profane words. Well the lyric in question is "I wish I was dead already", and it's off of her new album Ultraviolence (song is Dark Paradise). Ms. Cobain blatantly states she is not attacking anyone and said she is just put a perspective of someone worse had to deal with death.

Article here: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...-cool-20140623

Then Lana goes on to blame the Guardian, a newspaper she did the interview for. Long story short I think if anyone is to blame, it would be the listener who doesn't understand that lyric is emitting a feeling of pain. I doubt Lana Del Rey wants to die, seriously.

Please if you listen to music don't take the lyrics so far as to end your life.

What do you think about this article?
    Creativity is certainly about not being constrained by rules or accepting the restrictions that society places on us. Of course the more people break the rules, the more likely they are to be perceived as ‘mentally ill’
    “Fix the cause, not the symptom.” – Steve Maguire

No one is in the wrong, Lana's fans are dicks though for tweeting back such things. Lyrics are lyrics, they're an expression and don't have to be taken literally, but also, Francis was well in her rights to post a response like that. I don't really have an opinion on it!

It's interesting hearing Krist talk on Kurt, though.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If Lana Del Ray wants to die, Frances Bean should keep her nose out of it. I also doubt she wants to die, but FB doesn't need to get all uppity about it.

Blog Entries

They actually starting tweeting about it. I don't understand why fans feel the need to fight for and support an artist, at least Ms. Rey knows she is loved. Ms. Cobain does have a small point to make, but rather than addressing the point with Lana she should have emphasized the fact that "early death isn't glamorous" and the lives it effects.

Hearing the talk of Kurt Kobain was interesting, Alive-Man. As well as hearing it from the band member too!
    Creativity is certainly about not being constrained by rules or accepting the restrictions that society places on us. Of course the more people break the rules, the more likely they are to be perceived as ‘mentally ill’

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's just what she was born to do.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I have a whole list of artists Miss Cobain should complain at as well who wrote lyrics about casually wanting to die, many before she was even born.

I love how the media has turned to celebrity Twitter banter for use on those slow news days.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I love Lana del Rey's music, but I do think she is a very troubled young woman. I don't think Frances Bean really overstepped boundaries per say, but I do think she could've worded things in a way that made her seem more supportive and sympathetic, and less accusatory. It did kind of seem like she was using this as a way to remind people she exists, instead of reaching out showing that she cares (if not on a personal/friend level, at least on a level of respect for a talented artist who she admires musically).
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Blog Entries

I actually am embarrassed to say that I do not listen to any Lana Del Rey. But I guess I should start (I'm just worried a bit). Jinx is right, I would have worded it differently as well. I guess it's just something that Frances Bean felt inclined to say something. I do think it was the right thought that was behind everything, and things like these do need to be discussed maybe in a slightly younger population. Shorty said if Lana wants to die then Frances Bean should worry about her own beans (haha see what I did there?), but really do you think she should try and get help first? I feel I'm steering this thread else where....

Blog Entries

I love that song.

And I understand it very well.

lyrics are lyrics . And this is a stupid argument.

But, the song is about the love of your life dying and stuff.

It pretty accurately expresses how my dad must feel after losing my my mom.

I highly doubt that either of the 2 women have gone through that kind of loss (minus FB losing her dad, but that's something different).. Of being with someone for 40+ years and then suddenly having to figure out how to live life without them.

Dark Paradise is on the album Born To Die, not Ultraviolence.

And what FB seems to be referring to is something that Lana must have said in an interview, not really that song, because that specific lyrics is "But I wish I was dead (dead like you)" , not "I wish I was dead already".
    Last edited by noxious.sunshine; 06-25-2014 at 02:39 PM.