Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Default Gaming magazines

Remember when these existed and were a huge thing? Which ones did you read? I have stacks of Nintendo Powers and Game Informers somewhere.

I used to read the Official Nintendo and Playstation magazines in the early/mid-90's, and later Total! 64 (who I believe referred to the Playstation as the 'gaystation' - my mum didn't buy that magazine afterwards when she saw that) and N64 Magazine (I still have a keyring for it on my set of keys, and they called Sony's console the Pl**station for what it's worth). I also read Play Magazine which I think covered all the consoles of the time.

I threw a load of them out when I moved out of my parents house, but I still have a few in the attic somewhere including issue 1 of... some magazine or another, I know it has Earthworm Jim in the style of Da Vinchi's Vitruvian Man on the cover. I'll dig them out one day.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I have a box of Electronic Gaming Monthly magazines that I still look at occasionally. The only other one I ever used to look at was Playstation magazine, and that was just when they had something special come with it like a demo disc or when it had a disc containing The Eternal Calm video for FFX.

I do have a subscription for Game Informer right now but I just don't enjoy it as much as I enjoyed the old magazines for whatever reason. There were just some things about EGM like Seanbaby reviewing awful, awful games that really pulled me in.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I used to read a ton of these growing up. my favorite were GamePro, PSM: Unofficial Playstation Magazine, Nintendo Power, Gamefan, Play, EGM2 and CVG. Lately I like Retro Games but I don't have a subscription. EGM had its moments but I rarely agreed with them and Game Informer was better when they first started out and used more colorful dialogue when reviewing a bad game nowadays its like reading EGM before they went bust.

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I collected Nintendo Power back in the 90's. I also bought other gaming magazines on the whim, mostly for drawing the pictures from the games I liked. I still get GameInformer, but it's for my brother. Oh well

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I used to subscribe to GamePro and would scour the others in the magazine aisle whenever my mom took us grocery shopping at Pathmark. I suppose that was the back in the day equivalent of opening up a couple tabs of gaming sites.

I really miss the innocent enthusiasm the editors of the older mags had, compared to the snark and cynicism of online journalism today. I guess it's a casualty to turning a hobby into an artform.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

The old days of GamePro were great. I had a subscription from '92-'08 or something. It's a shame I threw them all out a few years ago, but I felt they were taking up room & half of them were in crappy shape from the constant readying & carrying around. It was my dream to work for GamePro.

I miss the personas they used for their reviewers. That was a cool concept. Almost like what people have on message boards re: our screen names.

GamePro, eXpert Gamer, EGM, PSM, Play, Official U.S. Playstation Magazine, T&T, XBOX Magazine (despite not owning an XBOX until long after), Game Informer, Edge Magazine... I got a box full of Nintendo Power from my cousin despite the fact that it was incredibly pointless. I did appreciate one issue which was a complete walkthrough of Castlevania (I forget which one... you could play as a pirate, I think).

I was just thinking recently. It may be cheaper to access gaming information online, but it's not necessarily quicker. With all of the ad placements slowing down page loading, you may never see certain pages compared to being able to just pick up a paperback and flip through to something interesting. I remember constantly buying issues simply for one article in the whole mag. It wasn't exactly cheap, but I didn't have to wait.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I still read one of them. Game informer?

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

The Australian gaming magazine scene is still growing. PCPowerplay increased its distribution by like 5% last year. I've ever really only read HYPER and PCPP and I write for both of them now so that's kind of awesome. I have a couple of Game Informer copies lying around but those mothersmurfers didn't even acknowledge my pitch so smurf them.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

When I was a kid I was subscribed to Nintendo Power for many years. I still have several of them lying around. I wish I took better care of them.

As I got into my teens I was subscribed to EGM the most. I got others like Game Informer and GMR only because they came with one of those discount cards and Gamestop. I still have several of those lying around. They are fun to look back on occasionally.

In fact, a coworker gave me the latest Game Informer to thumb through earlier tonight. The layout looks neater compared to how I remember it being.

The last magazine I actually paid with my own money was Nintendo Power's last issue. There were a lot of cool retrospectives from various past and present writers, as well as game developers.

EGM

There was another one which had such amazing art direction but I forget what it was called

Blog Entries

The only one I ever went out of my way to get was PCgamer. I did get game informers over the years from Gamestop

Articles
    Blog Entries

I used to be subscribed to Nintendo Power and Electronic Gaming, but don't follow either anymore. I even sent in a question to Nintendo about how to clean the screen off the Game Boy Advance and they sent me a reply back. That was pretty cool. I was hoping to get the question in the magazine, but having them write back to me was just as good.

I had subscriptions to GamePro, PSM, and EGM at various times, and I used to love reading them. I used to share the information inside with the people I knew (not that anyone really cared looking back) and I felt super important. >: D

I lost interest in the publications a long time ago though, and I haven't followed any gaming magazines since PSM changed its name a while back. That said, I do pop onto EGM's site every now and then to see what they are up to and listen to their podcast.