Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are you afraid of heights?

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Alayna Mae (Sargatanas)

I love window seats on planes (I'm sorry Jiro - I didn't realise you like the window seat too, or else I would not have taken it both to and from Adelaide. Although you did sleep on the way anyway, so I am not too sorry). I'm not very good with heights otherwise though. I tend to get vertigo if I'm too close to the edge of a balcony or whatever, and I have an irrational fear of losing things. For example, I cannot put my hand over the side of a bridge or something if I'm wearing jewellery because I won't be able to stop thinking about the jewellery falling off. It gives me great anxiety to see people leaving over a balcony with their phone to take a photo.

My future is fuelled by the fires of words, wit and companionship.

When I first went to Denmark it was my first ever time on a plane, I was like 21, there was barely anyone on the plane and I got not only the window seat but the whole row of seats next to me was empty. I loved it. I wanted so much more turbulance than there was.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't like heights + precarious footing, but I like stable heights a whole bunch! No fear or vertigo or anything. And I am ok to climb tall ladders to complete a task.

Signature by rubah. I think.

The Nerd Who Knows Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World's Avatar
    Blog Entries

No.

<PaperStar> live fast, die young, bad plefs do it well

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

No, in fact the opposite, I actually like being in tall places looking down *insert arrogant snob joke* but in college it was usually easy to find me hanging out on the roof of the buildings.

The ultimate answer is yes, but the relative answer is that it depends on how high up I am. I'm fine at three stories up, but beyond that it begins to affect me, and it can get quite severe, with extreme vertigo setting in and me feeling like I'm slipping or being drug towards and over whatever edge I'm near. It's actually so bad that I cannot stare into a clear, open sky without the same feelings of dread and instability setting in. I force myself to sometimes, because I know how irrational it is, but it is extremely uncomfortable and never gets any easier.

Blog Entries

My body starts shaking no matter how much I try to calm myself when Im at the top of a high ladder but I dont really feel "fear". I'll still finish what Im doing go down the ladder, go to the next job, climb up and resume termoring. I dont understand why I cant control my nerves.

Im perfectly OK with tall buildings and non-windy cliff edges.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!