Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Oh dear, I have amnesia

What do you think of the story plots that seem to often feature someone suffering from amnesia? Overused? Good when done properly? A really great plot device?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Overused and almost never in a way that makes it forgivable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've already forgotten what this thread is about.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It varies, I kind of like this trope to be honest but it was definitely overused in the 90s and early 00s. I feel it can still be used rather well but its now reached a point where you can't just have a blow to the head, we need a twist with it. I still feel Xenogears played this trope the best, the absolute mindsmurf that is Fei Fong Wong just puts others to shame.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Fei Fong Wong is actually a really good one, I agree

What I would like to see is a game where you don't find out the main character has amnesia until like really late in the game. Would be interesting to see how its done

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

It's good if pulled off correctly, but these days it does seem very overused.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I find it to be used well surprisingly often. Though I may be biased considering the last few games I've played that used this trope ended up being some of my all-time favorites.

Blog Entries

>FFVII
    >FFVIII

there was a picture here

I normally don't care. It's usually just a device to get things going, and I forget about it after the first ten minutes. There are definitely better ways to achieve that objective (see FFX or Bravely Default), but it doesn't really hurt things for me.

When it is an actual plot point though, I think it's usually handled well. Rune Factory 3 has one of my favorite amnesia plots. But no one is interested in my Let's Play, so you'll have to find out what happens on your own.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Yeah, I'm with most of the consensus that it's alright when done properly. I watched an Extra Credits video on YouTube that explained in pretty well as a plot and narrative device. It's mostly just an excuse so that the player and character experience the world together in a way that makes sense. In reality, there'd be no reason for exposition if you didn't have someone new to the world, or horribly sheltered, or with amnesia, because they'd already know the world, it wouldn't make sense for their friends to all of a sudden start explaining to them (and you) how the world and things in it work, since they grew up there and would otherwise know all this stuff already

Articles

In my experience it's pretty much only ever used to hide a plot point about a character until such times as the narrative deems it necessary to reveal their backstory. I can't think of any story where it's been done well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shauna View Post
    In my experience it's pretty much only ever used to hide a plot point about a character until such times as the narrative deems it necessary to reveal their backstory. I can't think of any story where it's been done well.
    You haven't played Rune Factory 3, though. That does not happen. There is no twist with the backstory at all. It's the amnesia itself that is important.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shauna View Post
    Xenogears
    Xenogears_motivational_poster_by_Tomegathericon.jpg

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I prefer those with selective amnesia. Like how I choose to forget those parts that I failed in life.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

u dun remember much then huh