Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Let's Play Final Fantasy VI (For the very first time!)

Articles
    Blog Entries

Relm Let's Play Final Fantasy VI (For the very first time!)

I don't think I've ever done a Let's Play, and I want some of this cake, and what better way to start actually playing Final Fantasy games than by killing two birds with one stone!

My history of Final Fantasy has been woeful, frankly. I've played VII, X, X-2, XII, XIII (and XIII-2 and LR) and... that's been about it frankly. Shocking, I know. Besides VII, I've played none of the 'classic' Final Fantasies, and so I want to start correcting that.

I am genuinely brand new to VI. I obviously know a bit, just from passing comments and general knowledge, but I know so little I'm basically going into the game new. I'm excited to see how the game will play. I'm somewhat intrigued by the sheer amount of characters - I'll see how that develops as the game plays out.

So I chose VI, adored by many on this site, so I may as well begin there. Now that I have a new laptop that is decent enough to actually play emulations, let's get cracking shall we? This first part will just be the prologue section, while I get used to screenshots and commentating. Bear with me!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Part One - The Prologue

I always feel so excited being at the start screen. It's like the beginning of a new adventure!

I should just add, this is the GBA version of the game. I looked around and people on the internet appear to give it the thumbs up.

An opening introduction. It all sounds pretty dark if you ask me. It's interesting. You'd think iron, gunpowder and steam engines would make the land even more barren, but apparently not. I'm certain we'll learn more about this War of the Magi as the game progresses.

Yes.

So we begin the game with Biggs and Wedge! How fun! Didn't know they were in this one. So their on some excursion to investigate an esper. Spooky.

Rule #1 of Video Games/Horror Films - Never doubt. Doubt at your peril. He who doubts will probably end up killed first.

Nice knowing you Biggs!

Biggs also comments about how this girl fried fifty Magitek armored soldiers. Wow, she sounds powerful! I can't wait to use her in battle! She does have those same awesome powers from the start, right?

Right?

Also, low blow calling her a mindless puppet right in front of her face. Come on girl, show them a piece of what your-... oh right. Mindless puppet.

And we're at this screen. Seriously, this goes on for awhile. At least I like the sound of the music while this plays.

So Biggs, Wedge, and this mindless puppet are travelling towards the apparent site of this esper. What will they find? Tune in next time!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

For now, this will be it. This is just an introduction. I'll play on for awhile longer and suss out the battle system and whatnot and try not to die.

I really hope you enjoy my LP. I know practically everyone has played VI by now, but I hope you'll stick with it and watch my LP through the eyes of someone who has never played it before.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Great! Can't go round these forums for too long without having to play this game eventually. Enjoy, it's a great game ^_^

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I think I'll reallocate this to the FFVI forum.

For forum activity's sake.

>.>

<.<

(As long as that is okay)

Articles
    Blog Entries

That's fine by me, you're the Cid's Knight

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

YAY EXCITING

Articles
    Blog Entries

Also, feel free to drop me hints and advice along the way. I'm not using a walkthrough, and I'm not a fan of dying or messing up!

Of course, do give me advice more generally about LPs. I want to make mine at least decently enjoyable. Here's hoping!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Just a tidbit that is useful at the start, check the clocks, almost every clock in the game has an elixir hidden in it.

You're doing fine with the Let's Play so don't worry about it, everyone has their own way of doing these things so don't fuss over how you are doing compared to other LPs.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Just a tidbit that is useful at the start, check the clocks, almost every clock in the game has an elixir hidden in it.
    Too late! Funny you say that, I got an elixir from a clock before I read your post. I will endeavor though to check them all though, thanks!

Also, I've completed the next part of the LP. The pictures, with commentary, will be up tomorrow.

Cheers, friend! You'll enjoy FFVI, I'm sure.

Yeah, checking clocks for Elixirs is kind of a FFVI thing. Also, during the first few bits of the game, you can basically put everyone in the back row. They have abilities that aren't affected by being in the front row/back row that you can abuse. Personal preference, maybe, so your mileage may vary.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post

You're doing fine with the Let's Play so don't worry about it, everyone has their own way of doing these things so don't fuss over how you are doing compared to other LPs.
    Yeah mine is to post my confusion every few seconds :P

Articles
    Blog Entries

This is a fairly sizable update. Buckle in!

-=-=-=-=-=-

Part Two - Encounter with an Esper

So I check the party screen and find out I've finally arrived in Narshe. I'm surprised with how low the HP is - I guess I've been spoiled with higher starting totals in later games!

The town doesn't seem to like us, and my team are harassed as we head towards the mines. Thankfully, in these Magitek suits, I can kill these wolves and guards in one hit. Somehow, I don't think I'll be keeping these.

This introduces me to a pincer attack. I still off everyone easily. I don't know why the guards think they could win against three massive armored suits.

And so we enter the Narshe Mines. Nothing could possibly go wrong.

Here Comes A Boss Battle!

That's some pet snail.

It's apparently a Lightning Whelk, which the Narshe guards have trained to defend the esper which they insist on keeping but have no clue how to use it. Hmm.

I'd be sure to ignore this advice if Barret was in my party. On the flip side, it sure is nice getting an entire battle strategy handed to me. If only every boss battle came with this piece of advice! Unfortunately, it's the first boss battle, so I can't really expect much. It is so painfully easy. Attack the head when it's out, stop and heal when it's inside it's shell.

Eventually...

No. 18.PNG

Defeated!

With the pet snail defeated, the esper is free to enter our clutches!

Do you see any other frozen espers in the room Biggs?

Pretty creepy sequence begins. The music isn't helping. What's going to happen?

Wedge was somehow vaporized by the frozen esper. Biggs followed soon after (nice knowing you Biggs!).

Then the esper turns attention to our mindless puppet. Suddenly, the screen turns blank.

So the girl wakes up in some house, recovering from what happened.

So, if that thing was say, knocked off in the heat of battle, she'd be free from mind control? They should design their slave equipment better, personally. Also, how does she wash her hair? Hope that thing isn't electric.

Anyway, our girl is free from slavery, and tries to remember her name. For the purposes of this LP, I'm just sticking with the default names.

Welcome on board Terra!

I actually did this part before Wolf Kanno's comment about the clocks. I'm just a stickler for checking everything. But I'll make damn sure to check all the clocks now. Oh, and guards are knocking down this kindly old man's door. Hang on, wait while I inspect this clock.

Anyway, the old man tells me to go flee into the mines to escape, as the guards won't accept that a mind controlled woman isn't responsible for what she's done. I dread to think how the law courts are like in this world.

I was very lazy with the healing.

Suddenly, guards surround Terra, but before they can do anything, Terra falls through a hole in the floor...

Poor girl can't catch a break can she?

Anyway, this causes a flashback sequence...

Seriously, who laughs like that?

Uh-oh! Creepy evil empire with ambitions to rule the world! I think I've seen my primary antagonists!But anyway, all looks lost, as the guards start encroaching on Terra... what will happen next?

Tune in next time!

-=-=-=-=-=-

That will be almost immediately, because there's only a 25 file limit per post and I still have images to post! Part Three up soon!
    Last edited by Formalhaut; 06-28-2014 at 02:35 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Oh he can laugh far better than that.

If you're having trouble with the image/post limit, consider using imgur. Free, unlimited space, direct links that can just be put into [ IMG][/IMG] tags.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Told you I'd be quick.

-=-=-=-=-=-

Part Three - Rescue Deep Down

Hey, that isn't a nice way to greet someone. Learn some manners, Old Man!

But it is time to greet our second playable character. It's Locke!

Anyway, the Old Man explains the situation in Narshe, including the dilemma with Terra.

He goes on to say stuff about how Narshe is just in it's own independent bubble.

An underground resistance group against the evil empire? I smell a plot-line!

After Locke learns that the girl is fleeing the guards as they speak, hero Locke springs into action!

That was quick.

Anyway, maybe Locke's bitten off more than he could chew. The guards are approaching, and it is just a lone Locke.

Hey, a convenient posse of moogles to help out!

Also, this is sort of a tutorial to something called group battles. I'm in control of three sets of four characters. Locke leads one team, Mog leads the second, and then the last team is lead by other moogles.

I think Mog is a new character because I can edit his equipment and he has a unique ability called dance. Maybe I'll get him now!

Anyway, this is actually properly tough.

Watch how much damage that mammoth looking creature deals with it's Snowstorm attack! A whole damn heap. There's no Terra to cure us as well, so we're left with just potions (which I don't really want to use up, I only had four!).

I used all three teams to spread out the damage, and had Locke steal to just try and break even my stock of potions. Not to mention, there's a surprisingly large amount of these fellows.

I do defeat them all (for the experience and gil, mainly), and then do battle with the leader.

Here Comes a Boss Battle!

The Guard Leader is just stupidly powerful. He has this Charge attack which wipes off at least 50 HP to one ally, sometimes even up to 70 or more. It is actually ridiculous.

I wiped out the Silver Lobos first, just to clear the field. After that, I had Locke steal a Mythril Knife from the Leader, and then just kept hitting the Guard Leader. It's pretty fruitless though. There was no point healing because the potions only healed me by about 40 or so, and the Guard Leader keeps spamming Charge all the damn time anyway. My first team actually perished to this idiot, but thankfully, they re-spawn with 1 HP each. I then used my second team of Mog and co., to finish the leader off, using Mog's Dance move to deal some great damage to the Guard Leader.

Eventually, and I do mean eventually, he falls.

Oh dear, I have amnesia.

So Locke and the amnesiac Terra make it out the mines and back into the entrance to Narshe. Around here is the Beginner School. I raid it for items and there's a Monster-in-the-box for more experience. I also listen to what they had to say, you know, being a beginner and all.

We can't really go much deeper into Narshe, what with the whole "they're trying to capture Terra" thing going on. Locke decides instead to head south to Figaro, for safety.

Tune in next time!

-=-=-=-=-

Part Four will be up in due course. These early parts of the game are probably faster to go through anyway. I will try to get these parts up in a nice timely fashion.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Formy

Do you see any other frozen espers in the room Biggs?

Articles
    Blog Entries

-=-=-=-=-=-

Part Five - Adventures in Figaro

So I'm in the Overworld, and it is quite nostalgic having a world map. I spend this time having Locke steal from the enemies to get a healthy stock of potions (after being painfully away of how little potions I had in the mines). By doing this, I also get a few levels on my characters as well, which is always welcome. By the end of this little exercise, I amassed over fifty potions, and my team is level nine and eight, respectively. I also nearly have 10,000 gil. Not bad for not much effort, really.

It helps also that Terra's fire magic kicks the bunnies ass. This is when she isn't being stopped by the Alcran's incredibly annoying 'Numb' move. But anyway, I move on with the story and head to Figaro, this castle city which is randomly in the desert, because why not.

Uh-oh, not more guard trouble is there?

Hello Mr. Celebrity!

So I proceed up this path to meet the king. I'm a friendly fellow, so I speak to all the guards, who all say the same identical phrase: "go and speak to the king". Their not all like, twins, are they? I meet this king, who speaks to Terra.

Oh God, he isn't going to be a schmoozer type is he? Ladies man and all that?

Oh, it's only another playable party member! Edgar! Fancy having a king in our party.

Very.

How... reassuring.

I think Edgar only cares about your ability in the bedroom, if you know what I mean *wink* *wink*.

Actually, Edgar states three reasons:

1) "your beauty has captivated me!" (Bleh)

2) "I'm dying to know if I'm your type!" (BLEH!)

3) "I guess...your abilities...would rank a distant third" (Huh, okay). Terra asks Edgar what the matter is.

I think something else is getting rusty, and it isn't your technique.

Revulsion, perhaps?Anyway, both Locke and Edgar have left Terra on her lonesome. Now that I have free reign of this castle, I go ahead and do some looting, nabbing a phoenix down, potions, antidotes, and a gold needle.

What lax security they have here. Inside the castle, I find this guy selling items. I have plenty of gil on me at the moment, so I purchase a Noiseblaster and a Bioblaster, which are apparently used with the 'Tools' command. I'm sure I'll learn about those in due course. In the other room, I find the other items guy, and purchase a few more Phoenix Downs, just in case. Of course, I also buy some echo screens and other items. I could afford it. I explore the castle some more and happen upon this old woman.

Oh, we have a flashback! Let's go see what it says.

Sad story.

On the flipside, it looks like Sabin is going to be a new playable character! Wooo!

He isn't like a feral child, is he?

I keep exploring the castle, trying to figure out where to go next. I eventually end up back in the Throne Room, where there's story to get through!

Very lootable. Suddenly, someone from the Empire arrives. I wonder who it is.

Oh, it's this... clown. After getting his guards to get the sand out of his boots, I take control of Edgar. Looking at his equipment, I give him the Mythril Spear, the one Mog was using (and seeing how it turned out he isn't joining us for now, I felt glad I un-equipped him of his goods). The Mythril Spear has an impressive 90 attack, compared to Edgar's Mythril Sword, which only has 58 attack.

Anyway, Edgar go speaks to Kefka...

She must be so unimportant to trek through the desert getting sand in your precious boots eh Kefka?Yup, completely minor. Nothing to see here!

Translation: I want her to join my harem, therefore I will not tell you where she is. Anyway, Kefka warns Edgar not to lie, otherwise the Empire will crush Figaro. Edgar says his goodbyes to Locke and Terra, saying that he has 'kingly' duties to do.

Meanwhile, Terra is sent to her room, for being a very naughty girl.

Edgar wouldn't do this, Edgar would carry me across the desert! Call yourself a ladies man? Terra asks if the rumors about Locke being a thief are true.

Locke sets the record straight. Edgar actually is assisting the resistance group 'The Returners', and only pretending to be best buddies with the Empire. How interesting! Locke is the go-between from Figaro and the group. Some interesting plot details here.

JOIN US.

How... kind of Locke. Locke leaves Terra to rest, leaving her to ponder which choice is the right one (protip: don't join the evil empire). Uh-oh! Creepy music alert!

The creepy music was right! Figaro Castle is on fire!

Oh my. Is Edgar still putting his head in the sand!

In other castle burning news:

How much do I pay you again? Mentally noting to cut the pay of all the guards, Edgar heads north...

...to awaiting Chocobos! What a nifty escape option! Then, for some reason, the castle can sink underground.

How the guards and Chancellor is meant to survive, I don't know. Of course, we need to ensure our own survival first.

Here Comes a Boss Battle!

So there's two Magitek Armors to defeat. Precedent wasn't very good - I killed the guards in Narshe with naught but a scratch, but because we are the heroes, these armors are much easier. Anyway, so I made Terra use cure during the battle, and this hilarious scene played.

Um, guys, two big scary Magitek armors still there.

Great, cool, come on now, a battle is there to be fought.

Locke, may I consult you to this screencap:

At what point did you not think this wasn't magic? What did you think was going on? Terra was using a flamethrower or something?

Oh no, not a big deal at all. Only interrupted a boss battle and spoke at length about Terra's magic. Anywho, Edgar's Noiseblaster did most of the work for me. The machines fighting each other was pretty entertaining. All in all, much simpler compared to the horror that was the Guard Leader.

No. 90.PNG

Defeated!

-=-=-=-=-=-

And that's a wrap for this part! Tune in next time to find out where the team are heading to next.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Formalhaut; 06-28-2014 at 11:12 PM.