View Poll Results: How do you feel about the direction of the franchise?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • What are you talking about, the franchise has never had any problems!

2 15.38%
  • I feel they stumbled a bit but never too bad, I'm optimistic!

2 15.38%
  • They had some problems in the past but I feel they are finally on track again

1 7.69%
  • I'm still skeptical, let's see some more games before I will feel better abouyt them.

7 53.85%
  • It's too late, I don't really care anymore and have moved on to greener pastures.

1 7.69%

Thread: Do you feel the franchise is back on track?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Do you feel the franchise is back on track?

In the last few years SE has been apparently getting their heads out of their ass making good with some of their games both FF and non-FF as well as cutting back on the cash-grab iOS games. FFXV is making fanboys frothing at the mouth and many people are happy we have finally moved beyond Lightning. So do you feel the franchise is back on track?

Articles
    Blog Entries

The only problem the series has is it takes way too long to release the main entries. Although they're getting up there in numbers, so maybe it makes sense to have more spinoffs and side series nowadays.

FFXIII was a great game. It just got stigmatized by the Western media because a few WRPGs blew up and they needed to write clickbait articles and reviews. Despite fashioning ourselves individuals, the western JRPG crowd fell in line, hopped on the bandwagon, and mindlessly regurgitated the media talking points at the time.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I haven't seen anything to indicate why people would even talk about being back on track.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't know. It seems new games are taking a while and I haven't enjoyed the last few as much as the earlier ones and I'm a bit worried about the new one not being my cup of tea

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    The only problem the series has is it takes way too long to release the main entries. Although they're getting up there in numbers, so maybe it makes sense to have more spinoffs and side series nowadays.

FFXIII was a great game. It just got stigmatized by the Western media because a few WRPGs blew up and they needed to write clickbait articles and reviews. Despite fashioning ourselves individuals, the western JRPG crowd fell in line, hopped on the bandwagon, and mindlessly regurgitated the media talking points at the time.
    FFXIII was NOT a great game. It had solid combat and good characters, but a pathetically written, barebones story, and a linearity that did not work at all (and directly fought the game's plot).

Personally, I don't think so. I still think that FFXV is going to be a massive disappointment. It has massive hype built around minimal information about the game. Square's best projects in recent years are Bravely Default and Type-0, both of which where smaller handheld titles built for the local audience. Their full console titles for the global audience haven't improved, and I don't think FFXV is going to change that.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade;3438954

[i
    FFXIII[/i] was NOT a great game. It had solid combat and good characters, but a pathetically written, barebones story, and a linearity that did not work at all (and directly fought the game's plot).
    "Solid combat and good characters" alongside gorgeous visuals and wonderful music makes a great game to me. I don't really think about abstractions like linearity when it comes to judging a title - I just enjoy playing fun games .

Square never fell off - we did.

I'd have to play XV before I could say it was back on track. I liked 13 but I think they lost there way with with 13 and it's 2 sequels, 13-2 just couldn't reel me in. XV looks awesome and I thought that back when it was 13 versus what 5 years ago? I'm excited for it but I'm also expecting to wait for another few years and losing all interest in the franchise.
    Ride ze shoopuff

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade;3438954

[i
    FFXIII[/i] was NOT a great game. It had solid combat and good characters, but a pathetically written, barebones story, and a linearity that did not work at all (and directly fought the game's plot).
    "Solid combat and good characters" alongside gorgeous visuals and wonderful music makes a great game to me. I don't really think about abstractions like linearity when it comes to judging a title - I just enjoy playing fun games .

Square never fell off - we did.
    Linearity in this case is an issue because it cut player involvement and contradicted what story they had. If they just wanted to take you on a straight line from fight to fight they should have pulled the "exploration" entirely and automated the whole thing.

The big problem was the nonsensical plot and utter lack of any life in the world. There were basically more main party characters than there were NPCs. Nothing about the world engaged me, and the pathetic story really ruined it.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

It all depends on if you like the combat and characters. I enjoyed the focus they put on combat and the way it allowed for tight control of the narative. unfortunately I though the battle system was mediocre, the narative was poor and the characters they told it with weren't particularly engaging. I, like many people, dislike FF13 for many reasons, but linearity isn't one of them.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

No, not yet. There are signs, and with each release in the XIII saga there has certainly been an improvement. The relatively low impact Lightning Returns had at EoFF speaks for itself which is a shame, because it was better than XIII. The continued delays of FFXV - and indeed, having to rescue a side project and make it into a main series title - means the jury is still out.

Blog Entries

The people who enjoyed playing FFVI-X have all grown up and on the whole have stopped caring after the past decade of increasingly average offerings. With that audience lost, Squeenix has to try and capture the new generation of gamer kids, which involves pumping out pay-to-win iPhone games and Call of Dooty clones. Anyone who still thinks that they'll one day revert back to producing regular main-series games that everyone will love again have been fooling themselves for slightly too long at this point.

there was a picture here

I have been feeling like it has been going downhill since about after Final Fantasy IX, and while Final Fantasy X was alright, it didn't have the same quality as a Final Fantasy game usually would. Final Fantasy XIII just made that hole even deeper.

Honestly, FF XV would have to be a pretty good game for Square- Enix to get out of that already, pretty deep hole.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'd like to reserve my judgment until XV is out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

I really want to reserve judgment until after XV but it's really difficult to. Lightning Returns has to be the first Final Fantasy title I have that I bought (only because I preordered it), and let it sit on the shelf. I think I've maybe played 10 minutes of it, I just can't bring myself to after 13-2.