Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Dancing Chocobo What went wrong?

Many people feel that this game was the weakest entry of the PS1 generation. If you hold that view - what do you think went wrong? What could have been changed to make this game better?

Enemies probably should have had their levels set at a base per area, modified upwards as required based on your characters' stats. That would help one of the big problems the game has in trivial enemy and boss encounters. Character limit damage also needed to be turned way down if Square wanted them triggering as often as they do; conversely, the damage could have been kept the same with reworked trigger conditions.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

It came after FF7.

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    It came after FF7.
    This statement feels unbelievably accurate.

pinchpinchpinchpinchpinch ScottNUMBERS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rez09 View Post
    Enemies probably should have had their levels set at a base per area, modified upwards as required based on your characters' stats. That would help one of the big problems the game has in trivial enemy and boss encounters. Character limit damage also needed to be turned way down if Square wanted them triggering as often as they do; conversely, the damage could have been kept the same with reworked trigger conditions.
    ^This. I never understood games that had monster level raise with player levels, it doesn't make any sense. The entire point of levels is that you can invest time/effort in order to gain an advantage - or the opposite.

As it happens they smurfed it up so bad in this game that the higher you raise your level, the less of an advantage you will have.

I do love this game though. The world was very unique and interesting. The story got odd at times (like when all the main chars played orphanage snap) but I still cherish it. The music is outstanding.
    Staring at my sig will not induce epileptic fits.

A themagicroundabout sig, by themagicroundabout.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

This is my second favourite in the series so I don't know what people's problem is

This is probably me 3rd or 4th fave FF, behind X and X-2(barely). its either, oh look I got such high stats I'm invincible or being a high level and coming across something that easily kicks your arse. and beyond a certain point the story-line is about as hard to follow as Evangelion.
    "Pretty mysterious Neptune of gameindustry, in the name of the Basilicom I'll punish you!"

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Who are these many people!? Give me their name and location and they shall speak no more.

I love VIII, and I love that it boldly went a different direction after VII. It had to. Square knew better than to try to make VII-2, so they just took their success as an opportunity to try out some crazy ideas. Some worked; others maybe didn't. But it made for an incredibly unique gaming experience, and I adore it.

This game is, to me, a lot of brilliant ideas that aren't executed well. The game is full of tons of great moments which don't flow naturally. The Junction system is a neat idea, but could be implemented a lot better. The magic school concept is fantastic, but under-utilized. Etcetera.

It's still a really solid game (and I actually like its mechanics better than those of FFIX), but it could be a lot better with some tweaking.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Could have had more work on the love story angle they were going for. Squall is a little too dead in the water at times and the way he was behaving totally clashed with the spaceship part when "Eyes on You" played.

Also, the "GFs made us forget" was kind of an ass pull. It would have been better if they hinted at it through a mandatory cutscene, not as optional info found on Balamb Garden's Facebook or whatever. That scene has always rubbed me the wrong way because it just came off as trying to force some drama and awe. Again, the whole scene could have worked if only they showed hints of how the GFs affect people.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, the biggest general complaints are the love story, "Squall is emo", and the GF memory loss. I understand why Squall is the way that he is, but I don't believe his character or his development was structured in a way that many people could relate to him. Same for Rinoa, probably.

A common complaint as well is that neither of them are really likable, which I agree with. I don't necessarily hate them, but I can't think of anyone really in the FFVIII cast who stands out as being this great and awesome character. They all had the same story, which is boring as trout.

I mean, it's still my favorite game of the series, though.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Junctioning and combat/scaling was the most ridiculous system in a FF game.

Also for the last third of the game it seems the writers just stopped giving a trout. They got to a point, realised "Oh trout wait a minute we don't have a villain" and cobbled together some random wank about time compression.

I also didn't find much to like about the main characters if I'm honest. That being said Squall's surly demeanour - and indeed the development he went through - was, contrary to popular belief, actually enjoyable. Certainly moreso than hot-headed Zell or childish Rinoa.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I really liked most of the characters in VIII. Except Irvine and Quistis was meh for me.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFVIII is my second favorite Final Fantasy (I'm afraid my first is FFVII, sorry) but there are things I would have done to make it better. At the top of my head, added some FFVII-esque mini games (coming straight after FFVII made it look a bit flat in this respect) as long as they can fit in like FFVII, and maybe make the storylines of the other characters less optional.

There are other things, I think, but I mostly love it - it gets a lot of critisism where I don't think it deserves it (Squall's development did make sense, the orphanage was foreshadowed, and I don't mean on Squall's computer etc) that the actual places where it failed gets ignored, in my opinion.

I understand why Squall is the way that he is, but I don't believe his character or his development was structured in a way that many people could relate to him. Same for Rinoa, probably.
    I could relate to them, they were the easiest characters to relate to for me in the entire series.

Junctioning and combat/scaling was the most ridiculous system in a FF game.
    I found it pretty straight forward to be honest, maybe playing it straight after FFVII's Materia system made it easier for me.
    Last edited by MJN SEIFER; 07-06-2014 at 04:10 PM.