Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If this game was free to play...

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Dancing Chocobo If this game was free to play...

...I think I would play it. As it is I don't want to play a subscription fee, though.

Anyone else like me?

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

It's worth the subscription fee imo, tbh I'm not a huge supporter of the subscription model in general - but XIV more than earns my money. Major content patches every 3 months, loads of nostalgia, and a really refined and polished gameplay experience in general. The developers are also very transparent and engaged with the community, which is a rarity with MMOs, let alone for Square Enix.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm just not sure I could get into the commitment, to be honest. Being a member of a free company probably comes with responsibilities, and you'd have to at least be semi-active to you know, not get left behind.

That and the money would be a slight, if constant, sap to my wallet. It isn't really a put off, the money, but it is there. And MMOs practically necessitate a decently powerful desktop with the graphic requirements, and I'm not the most hardcore gamer so I don't have one

It would be nice if they had like a free to play up to a certain level or amount of time, like a free trial. They probably already do that, I have no clue.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

With me it's mostly that I'm a cheapskate haha

Blog Entries

For me it's more of I just don't want to level characters in a mmo ever again.

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

I really want to play this, but when I figure into the fact that I rarely have time for games, I wouldn't be happy paying for something I'm not using. :C

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    I'm just not sure I could get into the commitment, to be honest. Being a member of a free company probably comes with responsibilities, and you'd have to at least be semi-active to you know, not get left behind.

That and the money would be a slight, if constant, sap to my wallet. It isn't really a put off, the money, but it is there. And MMOs practically necessitate a decently powerful desktop with the graphic requirements, and I'm not the most hardcore gamer so I don't have one

It would be nice if they had like a free to play up to a certain level or amount of time, like a free trial. They probably already do that, I have no clue.
    Not really on both those points, there are plenty of casual FCs and the group finder tool means you're rarely left behind as people will always be running content. The system requirements are pretty low now too, especially compare to the original version.

Blog Entries

If it were free to play and I had a good computer, I definitely would play. I miss playing FF online with people I really enjoy the company of.

Of course, that's in a hypothetical situation in which it's both free to play and good. I think it'd be much worse of a game if it were F2P.

I look at it this way: I was probably spending $50~$60 a month on cigarettes when I smoked. I've since started playing after I quit smoking. That's a net savings of about $40 a month for me!

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

If it went free to play, I would likely quit.

Articles
    Blog Entries

The first 30 days of the subscription are free and I believe you can get a good price for it off Steam from time to time. I'd likely play anything that's free because it's free, but it's not a bad deal they're offering now from what people keep telling me. Right now the only thing keeping me from getting it is my current work schedule.

I'm with Zach, I would quit if it went free-to-play. Companies need to generate revenue through the game either way, and I'd prefer a small subscription fee with access to all content than paying more on cash shops to access bits of content.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Yeah, I prefer the subscription model with MMOs, I find the quality goes up considerably. For me, F2P is something I'd consider more for games like FFXI - in other words, older games that don't require as much work on future updates due to how much there already is to do, how 'complete' they are, etc.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I actually agree and I prefer playing subscription based games. I just have reached a point where I don't want to subscribe to an MMO right now

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Probably not, like Pike I'm just not in an MMO state of mind right now so I don't think it would sway me.