Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which FF is the best for newcomers to the series?

If a newcomer to jRPGs in general, I'd think FFX would be a bit too difficult to start off with. Otherwise, yeah, it'd be a great choice.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by metagloria View Post
    VII is the best, but it's not the best introductory game for non-experienced RPG-ers. There are a lot of "flaws" that we fans often overlook that are obvious, even deal-breaking, for newcomers.
    Just wondering what they would be? I actually had never played a RPG before playing FFVII. The closest I had ever been to an RPG was Zelda. I immediately went on a rampage for almost 8 years of buying anything square made based on how much I loved FFVII. I'd say now, there are 6 games square made that I can really say "I really like that game" FFVII, FFVIII, FFTactics, FFIII(DS) and Saga Frontier 1&2

While I couldn't ever get into IX ( I tried many times) I could see that being a good first FF for someone. It's got a lot of the classic FF elements and the better PS1 graphics. My roommates love the game. I just couldn't do it
    Last edited by escobert; 07-17-2014 at 01:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by escobert View Post
    VII is the best, but it's not the best introductory game for non-experienced RPG-ers. There are a lot of "flaws" that we fans often overlook that are obvious, even deal-breaking, for newcomers.
    Just wondering what they would be? I actually had never played a RPG before playing FFVII. The closest I had ever been to an RPG was Zelda. I immediately went on a rampage for almost 8 years of buying anything square made based on how much I loved FFVII. I'd say now, there are 6 games square made that I can really say "I really like that game" FFVII, FFVIII, FFTactics, FFIII(DS) and Saga Frontier 1&2

While I couldn't ever get into IX ( I tried many times) I could see that being a good first FF for someone. It's got a lot of the classic FF elements and the better PS1 graphics. My roommates love the game. I just couldn't do it
    My wife had a really hard time appreciating the graphics. There were also several points early in the game where it wasn't abundantly clear where to go or what to do, and that frustrated her at the time (she might be able to get over that now, having played more FFX/Skyrim). The at-times-goofy dialogue that we as fans love might be off-putting to a newcomer too, although I don't think it was that so much for her. With X, the voice acting and well-done story are more immediately engaging, and there's rarely confusion on where to go and what to do.

Blog Entries

The voice acting is what I dislike most about x. And isn't having to figure out where to go half the fun!?

Articles
    Blog Entries

I think the first play session is incredibly important to get someone roped in to the RPG. When I introduced Final Fantasy to Sam, I picked X, primarily for the reasons above. If someone doesn't really 'get into' the game after the first part at least, then they may not bother to play it again. The good thing with X is that it doesn't have a slow start, besides perhaps the bit before the Sin attack in Zanarkand. If I showed FFXII to him instead, a good chunk of the beginning is build-up, which as a fan I can understand, but Sam may find it slow.

Having said that, now that he's used to Final Fantasy somewhat, he may find the slow start less taxing.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Honestly, all the games have their differences. Some gamers can't get by without top-of-the-line graphics, and if that's what makes or breaks a game for them then the obvious choice is FFXIII. However, if they want more gameplay or a better story, there are obvious alternatives that better represent the broader gameplay amongst the series in general. FFVII for me is the best mix of story + gameplay, although I can see how VIII might top it. If they like more old-school fantasy, though, then FFIX is the way to go. If they want graphics better than the PSX quality but don't want to get bogged down with political storylines or too much (XII) or too little (XIII) gameplay, then FFX is pretty much the only option.

Into online gaming? FFXIV, obviously.

If they are happy to take on the older 2D games then FFV would be my foremost reccomendation because it's a light hearted game with awesome gameplay, and people tend to like that kind of thing. It's very easy to get caught up in. Another worthwhile if non-main-series mention is Crisis Core.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Another worthwhile if non-main-series mention is Crisis Core.
    Duuuude you can't have someone start with Crisis Core...they've got to play VII first. Mainly just because of the ending.

There is a good chance that the first Final Fantasy one trys out and finishes is their favourite later so its best to just show them a bit of some Final Fantasy and let them decide which one to try out. Not that I didn't give them just one Final Fantasy ever. That also happened.

And Crisis Core is okay to begin with. It starts the story of Final Fantasy VII and the plot twist of Final Fantasy VII with Cloud's confabulation and Zack ism still confusing for someone who begins.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Duuuude you can't have someone start with Crisis Core...they've got to play VII first. Mainly just because of the ending.
    In all honesty I wonder if it would be even better if you didn't know what was going to happen...
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

In all honesty I wonder if it would be even better if you didn't know what was going to happen...
    It's sort of a catch-22 because you can't play one without spoiling the other. But whereas Crisis Core's ending remains awesome after you play VII, if you really get the ending it makes two-thirds of the story of VII irrelevant. I'd be curious to see how someone would react though.