View Poll Results: Did you Enjoy the World of Ruin?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I felt it was fun and engaging, and was the most memorable part of the FFVI experience.

6 100.00%
  • No, I really felt the game stopped being fun here.

0 0%

Thread: WoR ~ Awesome Game Design or Deal Breaker?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default WoR ~ Awesome Game Design or Deal Breaker?

I am always surprised by people who really hate the design of the World of Ruin, in my opinion this is one of the most brilliant designs to grace the series but some people get pissy cause the party is dealing with personal issues while Kefka sits back and waits for them. Others don't care for the more open-world approach of its design and lose interest cause the game doesn't have some deep narrative to get you to the next story sequence while people like myself enjoy the idea of the game finally letting the player have control of the narrative and freedom to explore the WoR at their own pace instead of spoon feeding you the drama. Where do you stand EoFF?

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Who the smurf hates the World of Ruin? Give me their god damn names.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Those that dislike the open world concept is apparently not open-minded.

People I know that dislike FF6 dislike it due to the WoR, because, as you mentioned, the narrative breaks off after the Floating Continent and never really picks back up; it feels much more sand-boxy and like a SaGa game more than a Final Fantasy game at that point. That said, the WoR is one of the key elements that makes me love FF6 as much as I do, as it provides me the freedom to explore the world and dungeon dive at my leisure that I so crave in my RPGs.

I am always surprised when people told they don't like the World of Ruin. I really enjoy it. It is really interesting to begin with only one character. I also really enjoy that we have to search to find all the other characters. For me, the World of Ruin is the best part of the game.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I liked it, but it is quite a departure from what the game has been so far. I can see how someone could possibly not enjoy the change.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I put the yes option because it is the closest to my opinion. I enjoyed it, but I thought elements came off a bit clumsy. The thing that bothers me the most is the generic dialogue that they just tack on to any character for some scenes. Since so many FFVI characters have such personality, it's so weird to see them talk in such a non specific way.