Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do you think this game is such an underdog?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Moogle Why do you think this game is such an underdog?

Most people remembers VII and VIII when thinking about the PS1 entries but only in the last few years have people begun to really take a look back and see what this game brought to the series. Why do you feel this is the overlooked PS1 entry?

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Not enough Quina I reckon.

Or they didn't specify on how Quina reproduces.

Timing, the PS2 was all the rage when 9 came out. and FFX certainly helped to push it out of peoples minds until recently.
    "Pretty mysterious Neptune of gameindustry, in the name of the Basilicom I'll punish you!"

I hear that people feel FF IX was the underdog or forgotten a lot, but this has never been true in my experience -- everyone I know that has played the PS1 era Final Fantasy games knows and (rather fondly) remembers IX; 8 seems to be the real underdog with all the hatred leveled at it.

That said, Neptunia does bring up a really good point, and I'm sure that people that missed 9 probably were swept up in PS2 hype. It is also possible that many players picked up the series with FFX, then went back and played VII, since it was the PS1 FF that got the most attention, for a sample and never explored 8 or 9.

IX has always been the no1 FF for me. I remember when I was playing it I tried to get the vII fans at my School into it but they wasn't interested. It's popularity has certainly increased over the years. IX setting etc is perfect for what I look for in a game so I'm pretty sure it would of been my favourite game even if I played VII or VIII first. As I'm not MUCH OF a fan of VII or VIII it's possible I'd never play FF had I not started with IX.
    Ride ze shoopuff

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Because it's not particularly good.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Rez09 View Post
    I hear that people feel FF IX was the underdog or forgotten a lot, but this has never been true in my experience -- everyone I know that has played the PS1 era Final Fantasy games knows and (rather fondly) remembers IX; 8 seems to be the real underdog with all the hatred leveled at it.
    Yeah, I have to agree with this - all I ever see is love for this game. If anything it's the opposite of an underdog! (Overdog?)

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rez09 View Post
    Yeah, I have to agree with this - all I ever see is love for this game. If anything it's the opposite of an underdog! (Overdog?)
    We see love for this game here, but in my experience people talk about FFVII, FFVIII the most. FFVI gets a decent amount of time in the spotlight. Same with FFX. The others don't seem to get talked about that much.

Anyway, I think the reason is because FFVII and FFVIII were the first two FFs that a lot of people started with when the series got mega popular. FFIX tried to go back to a classic formula, but the people who fell in love with VII and/or VIII probably were thrown off a bit from how FFIX was stylistically.

They wanted a mysterious or brooding character like Cloud or Squall to be in the spot light. Who is this happy asshole with a monkey tail? Damn it, I can't project my teen angst on to him! What's with this setting? This is like some medieval times crap! Where's the future/steam punkish stuff?

I loved FFIX, and I don't feel that way about it at all. However, I can see why people who only knew FFVII and FFVIII would be turned off by FFIX. Sure, hardcore fans and longtime series fans were down with it, for the most part, but other gamers don't remember it as fondly because of how they were introduced to FF.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I agree with Sephex. I was a kid introduced to the series through VII and VIII, and I didn't like IX because it was so different from what I knew about the franchise from VII and VIII. I didn't come to appreciate it until I played the classic Final Fantasy games.

IT SUCKS

VII was the Gold Standard of JRPGs. It had deep plots and characters and was a storytelling masterpiece.

Sure FFVIII wasn't as good but at least everyone looked normal and it was a very mature storyline.

Then IX and..,what's this? Why does our hero have a monkey tail? And he looks so gay. And then there's a fat guy and a kid with no face and a rat-person. The game is for goddam children.

What is this lameness? What happened to our fantastic, or at least grown-up, storytelling that they are shoving these talking animals on us? What is this, a frickin' Disney movie for little kids? We were teenagers dammit and we expected something a bit more on our IQ level than "a thief kidnaps a princess." Pft, Been done before, Square! Way to be completely unoriginal!

And then there's our villains. A fat lady, a transvestite and two clowns. OOH,S CARY SCARY. Where was Sephiroth? Why wasn't he in this game?

Final Fantasy IX is nothing more than the old, outdated, fogies forcing their way onto the main scene. Listen up pops, the days of your stupid clowns are over. It's time to let better writers take over and take the lead. Gamers today have a certain standard of quality that didn't exist before VII set the bar so high.

FFIX was "a love letter" to a subpar era in gaming that was simply no longer wanted or needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    BS
    Lol I don't even know where to begin.

I could say such a trout about FFVII as well. What the hell is this game? For 10 years olds playing soldiers?

What the hell is with that antagonist? Sephiroth my ass. He was just crazy person wanting to destroy everyone because he couldn't deal with his origin.

The party full of depressed and miserable people, in oh so "original" steam punk world.

Don't get me started on VIII, the worst FF from 1-10.

I just don't like FFVII and mainly FFVIII at all but I am not blind to the good parts of the games.

I am not really sure why the hate. It feels like you just want to hate FFIX so you completely overlook the good and feel afraid to enjoy the more cartooney graphics or something because it isn't as manly as playing soldiers lol.

Character designs was a huge departure when compared to the previous two games. Also the super-deformed look may have turned many off.

I however regard this and VI as the highest quality FF games.

IV is my all time fav though.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

At EoFF people love it. I think as others have said the exaggerated character designs and whimsical nature put many people off. I appreciate that's also what drew a lot of its fans in too.

Omg, I don't hate FFIX, I just don't enjoy it. But I think Forsaken Lover pretty much nailed it for most of the people I know

As a lover of older RPGs and anime and whatnot, I can't say that those excuses are what made me want to never return to the game

I think my problem was the lack of enticing or relatable characters. The very light and pastel world they lived in was a turn-off. The music was very light and not engaging to me at all. Pretty much everything about the atmosphere just didn't interest me. Music, art style, story, antagonists, etc. Nothing grabbed me. It was a boring slog that I only went through out of obligation to the series. And it was the last time I forced myself to complete a FF I didn't enjoy

A few years ago I ported it onto my PSP and tried again. But still no dice

So I don't think it had anything to do with being an adolescent who was too desperate to be an adult to enjoy childish things. I just plain don't enjoy very many childish things. I thought FFVII was way more mature. In that regard I thought FFVIII was quite juvenile. So to each their own I suppose