Thread: Fighting Games

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    I was a bit bummed that they rereleased SC2 for PS3, and not 3. Also, no japanese voices

I also actually like DoA5 ultimate. It even has an option to reduce the perviness, by making breasts jiggle in a more realistic manner, or just turn that stuff off entirely.
    Yeah, I hope they eventually put SC3 on PSN, or come out with a re-mastered version of it

And I was not aware DoA 5 Ultimate had grown up. Either that option wasn't available in the Vanilla 5, or I never noticed it. But that's pretty cool. Maybe my girlfriend would take the franchise more seriously with that option...
    DOA5 vanilla was "supposed" to grow up, but the fans got angry and demanded that tits would move in ridiculous ways so they caved in and put in the classic DoA physics instead. DOA5U added the different options. You now have "off/natural/doa/extreme" . Extreme makes it look like they're ballons filled with foam or something.

Of course, the ridiculous breast sizes never changed. While it might seem cool to just put it to "off", it actually looks really strange when a double D tit is as rigid as a piece of plastic while the characters change directions at 500 mph.

Other than that, I think the gameplay is pretty fun, and Ein is back. That was my main back in DoA2.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> I like 2D fighting games...
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Other than that, I think the gameplay is pretty fun, and Ein is back. That was my main back in DoA2.
    I always enjoyed the "rock, paper, scissors" counter system in DoA and DoA2:Ultimate was my favorite. I really, really enjoyed it. The gameplay was fast and fluid, but you still had characters with some depth and layers.

I usually wound up using Bass, Tina, or Leon because I enjoy grapplers, but a lot of the cast were fun. Jan Lee is a lot of fun, even if his move set is pretty simple.

Who here enjoys Virtua Fighter? I like Jacky, and the first version of Vanessa. I didn't like how they felt the need to soften up her voice and her looks. I thought it was a neat idea to have this cold, harsh, completely ripped woman who used a very hard fighting style.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

DoA5 changed the counter system which made it a bit more competitive minded. Previously, you could counter any attack with just three different inputs, high, mid and low. Because you had such a high chance of just wildly guessing the right counter to use, it was hard to get so called "guaranteed damage" out of combos, as you could be randomly countered at nearly all times.

Now, the game also splits the system into kick/punch as well as high/mid/low, so random guessing on a counter to use drops to 1/6th instead. Also, there are more stuns that you can't get out of with countering.

It's still pretty intuitive though, you just need to know if the next attack is a kick or a punch, in addition to its height. It's -> + block to counter mid kicks, and <- + block to counter mid punches. Iirc.

I actually enjoyed the counter system. It was less likely to get stuck in a ridiculous combo. Made fights seem more "realistic", rather than "fighting game" mechanics. If that makes any sense, given the subject matter lol

Like you have to be ridiculously fast to know/guess the type of attack and also input the move to counter in games like Soul Calibur. I'm not a super high level fighting game master. I'm merely above average. I don't count frames or worry much about hit-boxes. I just now how to do moves and strategies to use. But dissecting the system is beyond me. And DoA made it possible to play with the big dogs. Getting hit with a 30 hit combo just feels cheap otherwise. If someone knows those moves, once you take the first hit you're done for. I imagine that's what a lot of people liked about Killer Instinct. The later games thrived on combo breakers

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

As I understand it, blocking/countering on reaction is unusual even in high level play. What people do is make educated guesses on which move the opponent will perform after the one that is currently being displayed on screen, either based on which combo would deal the most damage, or which combo the opponent has used in a similar situation before. If you know that the enemy knows that a certain combo would completely decimate you, you can predict his move ahead of time. Of course, if the enemy knows that you know, he might switch from the combo that would defeat you, to one that wouldn't defeat you to avoid your counterattack.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Rez09 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I'm mostly an old school Street Fighter man though the Alpha series is probably my favorite SF series. Guilty Gear is fun too but for reasons I can't quite explain myself, I really don't care for BlazBlue, I find it clunky for some reason.
    I had a similar problem with BB at first, and I found it due to the unique command button that characters in BB have; it didn't jibe with the gatling combos I was expecting and threw my flow way off.

I LOVE me some Street Fighter Alpha. I try to avoid V-Ism, because those on-demand invincible startup frames and 80% combos are silly, and I dislike how useless they made Alpha Counters in the third game, but I love the overall mechanics and feel of the series, and, tiers be damned, Birdie is one of the most satisfying characters to play as. When you have meter and see that fireball coming from across the screen. . .
    Yeah, I think it's the unique command button that throws me off as well. That, and I just find it slow for some reason but I know it is not. It is just that it often feels like every character plays like Nightmare from SC, slow to begin but once you start chaining attacks suddenly it's really hard to fight it off.

I've played my fair share of Street Fighter...

The thing about fighting games is that they're basically bullies that beat kids up and take their lunch money. I've often thought this when recently re-playing some of the old arcade favorites like Street Fighter 2: Turbo and Street Fighter Alpha.

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo was especially guilty of this. It doesn't even pretend to want you to win, not even on the easiest setting.

HADOKEN!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I'm eager to try out the expansion to Persona 4 Arena whenever that comes out. It has my boy Junpei in it.

Crocodylus Pontifex The Space Pope's Avatar

Not really huge into fighting games, but I use to be pretty good at Tekken. 2D fighters have never really done it for me, though I've played a few (SF, MK, Fatal Fury, Primal Rage etc.)

Single player modes tend to be a letdown for me, especially in games where the game can read your button inputs and react accordingly before you're even physically capable of reacting. DOA is especially guilty of this, as is Soul Calibur to a lesser degree, though I give the SC series credit for having some halfway decent single player modes and a good sized range of customization options.
    derp