Thread: What artists inspire you?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Dancing Chocobo What artists inspire you?

Artists of the forum, would you consider anyone to be your inspiration? I was always inspired by the classic Disney animators of yore. I wanted to be an animator for a long time and then I realized I do not draw well enough

Blog Entries

Tetsuya Nomura actually When I first found those character designs back in highschool, I decided I wanted to be a character designer then and there. Of course, that didn't end up happening. I also have much more of an appreciation for Amano's style nowadays.

lately, I've been collecting a lot of Sam Kieth. Comic artist that created the Maxx.

http://samkieth.blogspot.com/

there's a link to his blog above! I've been a fan of his since the 90's.

Pike, give your self a little more credit! I don't necessarily believe that there's such a thing as "bad art". your probably more talented than you give yourself credit for. if you want to improve your art, just keep it going. a lot of people have directions they would be more than happy to point you towards. I'd say that color theory is pretty important. some people draw using shapes. seen the sketches where it's a bunch of circles and ovals? I can't draw like that, but some people can use that method to achieve amazing results! an art teacher once told me to do a sketch of the person in front of you WITHOUT letting the charcoal pencil lift off of the paper until it's finished. hope you can post some of your art on here! I would love to see it! if you do, please message me.
    Last edited by jodymcdougle; 07-15-2014 at 07:14 PM. Reason: added link to sam's blog

Masakazu Katsura, Ken Akamatsu and Akira Toriyama.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by jodymcdougle View Post
    lately, I've been collecting a lot of Sam Kieth. Comic artist that created the Maxx.

http://samkieth.blogspot.com/

there's a link to his blog above! I've been a fan of his since the 90's.

Pike, give your self a little more credit! I don't necessarily believe that there's such a thing as "bad art". your probably more talented than you give yourself credit for. if you want to improve your art, just keep it going. a lot of people have directions they would be more than happy to point you towards. I'd say that color theory is pretty important. some people draw using shapes. seen the sketches where it's a bunch of circles and ovals? I can't draw like that, but some people can use that method to achieve amazing results! an art teacher once told me to do a sketch of the person in front of you WITHOUT letting the charcoal pencil lift off of the paper until it's finished. hope you can post some of your art on here! I would love to see it! if you do, please message me.
    I just popped my head into this thread as a non-artist and it fills me with glee that someone has mentioned The Maxx. Kieth's illustrations are both beautiful and disturbing.

Way to be, new guy! Julie Winters is my spirit animal.

yeah! I'm a huge fan! I try to collect the single editions and a few hardback collections.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's interesting that I can't really pinpoint my main inspiration. Early on I was mostly inspired by Nomura and Amano, but later on more mangaka kept influencing my style. Then I actually started drawing more and practicing and my style kind of drifted away from anby of that while still retaining some features of everything. End result - I'm not a good artist, but I do have a somewhat distinct style, so yay?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Rembandt. I was always fascinated by the lighting in his drawings. There's something almost eerie about it. Amano & Nomura for sure too.

Str8 Pimpin'

Linda R Herzog was a great discovery and inspires me a lot. Her paintings are like little surreal stories and everything is possible. Plus it features a lot of animals.

I'll post some other artists later : )

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

There's been this artist on Deviant Art i've been following forever. they were once lonemomo but have changed their name to Dapper-Owl. I am in love with their style and I often try to emulate it. Here's some of their FF work.

I know it's not someone famous or an older artist but it's who inspires me and I have been following them for years now and it has influenced me the most.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

That is fantastic. I love that art style, and I'm sure I've seen or played a game with a similar style before... :/