Thread: Cover or Provoke?

Default Cover or Provoke?

Which do you think is the more useful skill?

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

In X, both are very useful. Auron becomes even more important once he gets into Tidus' area of the Grid & learns Provoke.

In XII the decoy spell (which is the equivalent of Provoke) is critical in quite a few battles. Decoy + Basch = Victory

Both abilities allow your tank to draw enemy fire & allow the others free reign for the offense.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

It really depends on the individual game mechanics in question.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Can you think of an instance where cover is almost always better than provoke or vice versa?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Cover. Just because I never use Provoke

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Sometimes having all the damage coming into one character is too much for them to handle, and you just want to save it for when people are in critical HP. Or often times cover is passive and provoke is an active ability you have to take time to use.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Articles
    Blog Entries

Having played X HD recently, I noticed that Provoke is actually a pretty dang useful skill sometimes, especially late- to endgame. Enemies won't use their powerful group attacks and especially if your provoker has an Evade & Counter weapon, that can completely trivialize enemies right there.

I do love the Cover + Counter Attack combo though. Loved it in FF VII, loved it in FF X. And Sentinel is great as well.

Yeah, Provoke's utility is not in forcing attacks, but rather in preventing enemies from using spells and abilities. It's basically Berserk, and serves the same purpose. When you have a spellcaster enemy who's vulnerable to it, it's awesome.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I really enjoy hearing different versions of my favorite songs (even if I like one better than the others) so in my mind, Cover is the better skill.