Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you have preferred no voice acting?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

The only problems I have with voice acting is that it sometimes prevents you from naming important characters, and that development costs may rise and make it financially hard to justify sub quests and optional characters because you might spend money on something a significant portion of the players aren't going to experience. However, with the progress there has been in voice synthesising over the past years, this might not be an issue anymore after the current or next gen.

Important characters might get real voice actors, while minor characters all get synthesised voices to cut costs.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

FFXIV Character

Twinkle Belle (Hyperion)

I liked all the voice acting except for Tidus.... I liked him a lot better with the sound off xD

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Without voice acting, we can never listen to the sexy voices of the hypellos!!

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Let mee shing yoo the shong of myy people?
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Let mee shing yoo the shong of myy people?
    It will be awesome if they give the Auron's look and say "This is my story" with their accent. :

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm not sure why, but I just feel that RPGs in general work better (and are strangely more alive to me) when they are not voiced. It just seems right to me, even though I most likely wouldn't have the same opinion for other games.

I would have at least liked an option to replace the voices with text so those who prefer it could have a choice (and no, turning the TV's sound off does not count) though I'm not saying I had a problem with the voices (though Yuna's Americanese accent was hard to take seriously at times).

Nope I totally loved the voice acting and I never really understood people's problem with it (but I also never heard original japanese voices for long enough to compare...).

But as much as I love VA in FFX, I wouldn't add VA in older FFs like 9 etc. even if I could. I simply feel that games always work the best the way they are released and if it was simply a thing of switching VA on/off it would be weird.

I liked the voice acting! I thought that tidus whined just a bit, and Wakka's island accent shouldn't have been nearly as thick, but other than that I really enjoyed it! it was the first time that I had played a game where the characters actually spoke for the majority of the game!

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

If I recall correctly, FFX came out at a time in gaming where voice acting was becoming more prevalent in new releases. If this game had no conversation between people, it might have been seen as "behind the times" in a way.

Articles

In our lets play, Kimarhi's voice acting is stealing the show.

(ps Kimarhi has not said a single word so far).

Articles
    Blog Entries

I can see the merit in it. Not having voices at all allows for you to imagine the voices in your head. They can never be bad because your imagination would go with something pleasing with you; this is why people were turned off by some of the voices in Advent Children since their imaginations would have filled the blanks already. I don't think it would have been a smart idea for Square to can voice acting given its relevance at the time. The voice acting never bothered me.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I don't think getting rid of the voice acting would have made me like it more. I think changing the voice actors or getting a better director for them would have made me like it more. I didn't like Yuna, Tidus or Seymour's voices at all, and they are probably the three most important voices in the game.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

I think BoB raises a good point. Even if you consider this game's particular voice acting detrimental, eliminating it altogether would not have been the proper solution. Let's not forget that voice acting in video games was still somewhat of a fresh feature in 2001. The voice acting in most games was pretty bad. Only by enduring the "master of unlocking"s and awkward laugh scenes could we get to the point we're at today. I can't fault Square for fumbling something they and the rest of the industry had little familiarity with. What I'd like to know is if it would have upset any of you had they changed the voice acting for the HD remake (a la Silent Hill).

Articles
    Blog Entries

The game would be weird without voice acting, personally. I do admit, Yuna's voice could be changed, or at least made stronger - it sounds like she's speaking air.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I never had a problem with any of their voices. They sound just fine. Yuna's problem was due to trying to sync with the lips or something involving the original Japanese voice actress. Either way she cleared that up by X-2.

RE was more a script issue than a voice acting issue, really.