Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What led you to this website?

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Default What led you to this website?

I very vaguely recall searching for FF8 info and stumbling upon this site for walkthrough help.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Bored waiting for a ride, had laptop, looked up Vivi stuff, found site, joined a few months later

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

edczxcvbnm was going around trolling various FF forums in 2000. He got banned from all of them for creating such riveting topics as "What do you think it is like to masturbate in outer space?" Anyway, I guess no one banned him her after I created a dumb topic and kept on posting and conversing with people over the (then) new Chrono Cross.

He used to email me threads and I read through them at work. I was heavy into Marilyn Manson back then and posted on the official Marilyn Manson BBS, which I had been doing for a couple of years by that point. I got bored of that place, so I decided to give this place a shot in early 2001. I had a couple of awkward first days because I was used to the more lax rules on the Manson forum (a mod closed a thread of mine for some reason and I made a thread addressing the mod, which was allowed on the Manson forum, for example).

I also joined under the name Sephex018 because I guess I felt I had to have numbers in my name. It makes a screen name seem more cool and authentic in those days. You were a serious internet person if you used numbers. Yeah.

Since then I posted here for months at a time with my biggest absences being around 2006-2010. Then since the beginning of 2012, I been sticking around ever since.

Sorry for those of you who seen me tell this story already.
    Last edited by Sephex; 07-02-2014 at 09:02 AM.

Wanted to find out what mag-elem-null did in FF9.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Alayna Mae (Sargatanas)

Jiro did it. Blame him.

My future is fuelled by the fires of words, wit and companionship.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I had been frequenting #ffo for a couple of weeks or so and joined one night like I had been doing but I was immediately kick-banned for reasons that still escape me. I was all huffy and offended because I hadn't done anything to warrant a ban, so I searched for a new FF chat room to join. #eoff had the most users beside #ffo, so I figured why not.

Spending a night in #eoff until the wee hours of the morn' with the chat crew from 2001 (on September 11th before the attacks, that was weird) made me join this site. You nerds have been stuck with me in one way or another since.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Around the end of 2002 - my first year with internet access, thanks to university - I was looking up my favourite games online, and found my way to the FFVIII forum. I learned a lot, and laughed even more, by reading through page after page of topics. Thus began several months of lurking, until I finally joined in early '03.

I've been a lot less regular since the mid-00s, but I still think of this place as my first online 'home'.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I joined because Huxley joined and I had a wee crush on him so I wanted to follow him everywhere. I recall him posting about it in his LJ or something so I hopped over and joined too!

At first I was kind of intimidated because even though I'd been on forums before this one was certainly the biggest so I lurked a lot and also spent many months where I didn't post but hung out in the chatroom instead. Eventually I started to post more, though

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Fonzie View Post
    I very vaguely recall searching for FF8 info and stumbling upon this site for walkthrough help.
    Pretty much this. I was looking for a few tips on sections of FFVIII. I mentioned in my introductory thread I had trouble defeating GF Cactuar. Carl the Llama (legend) made a huge post explaining how to do it and I was hooked.

I've only had a small hiatus but I've stuck around because you are all bat trout insane and I love it.
    Last edited by Bubba; 07-02-2014 at 12:23 PM.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The bread crumbs on the ground.

I was reminiscing about an old forum I used to be a part of that is now very dead, and I searched on google to see if there was any forums communities around. I first searched for video game forums, but didn't like the results. It was mostly like big sites like Gamespot and IGN, and I was never interested in neoGAF. Just the format of how everything is there doesn't appeal to me. So I searched for final fantasy forums, and out of the top results for it this one is the one that looked the most active.

Blog Entries

Probably found it during a Yahoo search for FF info. This one had the funniest forum of all the sites I visited.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

To this day, I actually have no idea. I remember nothing

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I... don't remember. I signed up for a lot of fora when I was in my early teens. The allure of the internet.

Stuck around here though. Aren't you all so lucky?

Blog Entries

An intense desire to share my thoughts on every stupid little thing that came to my mind.

Honestly though, probably FF info. I remember referencing the FF1 teams guide a few times.