Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite Things About FFV

I like that the characters are more fleshed out than those in previous games (including IV). I liked that they built up Ex-Death to be the villain of the game... and he STAYED the villain of the game! There was no last minute, "Actually, this guy was just a pawn for the real villain you know nothing about!" I felt it made the journey a lot more meaning when you have great characters, and a constant villain.

I loved the soundtrack. It's one of my favourites of the early games. The graphics really took a step up, and the environments are beautiful! And the job classes make for some interesting and fun experimentation.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Gilgamesh, and the music accompanying his fights. Also the music in Lix.

Blog Entries

The adorable character sprites, the music, and DAT JOB SYSTEM DEAR LORD
    Xenogears is the tragic story of how your whole life can take a crappy turn, just because you happened to see a lady in a wedding dress before her wedding.

This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broken down
    This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broke down

I liked the cast and the overall tone of the game.

I really liked ExDeath as a villain, he is badass. His design was awesome and the character concept quite interesting; sure he is a tad one dimensional but that's part of the charm. His three themes are also really great. I feel that he is quite underrated overall.

There is of course Gilgamesh who is all kinds of awesome and the entire section of the Void was really well done.

Damn, I've been pondering about what FF game to revisit next and I think I just found it

Blog Entries

I hear that Egami, I just bought this game on sale on PSN about 20 minutes ago. I'm still in the middle of Bravely Default; maybe I'll go ahead and play the two games interchangeably.
    Xenogears is the tragic story of how your whole life can take a crappy turn, just because you happened to see a lady in a wedding dress before her wedding.

This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broken down
    This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broke down

Quote Originally Posted by Electroshock Therapy View Post
    I liked that they built up Ex-Death to be the villain of the game... and he STAYED the villain of the game! There was no last minute, "Actually, this guy was just a pawn for the real villain you know nothing about!" I felt it made the journey a lot more meaning when you have great characters, and a constant villain.
    Yes, that is something I like about the game too. ExDeath was the main villain and threat to everyone from beginning to end. I like too how much he interacts with the party and how he is always causing trouble and that his actions ended up in the death of several characters close to the main cast, which made things personal as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Polnareff View Post
    I hear that Egami, I just bought this game on sale on PSN about 20 minutes ago. I'm still in the middle of Bravely Default; maybe I'll go ahead and play the two games interchangeably.
    I don't know if the PSN version is any different but from what I remember the PSOne version (which came with VI as well) had really long loading issues most notably when going in and out of battles. It made it rather tedious to play it. Hopefully it is fixed on the PSN version.

Quote Originally Posted by Egami View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Electroshock Therapy View Post
    I liked that they built up Ex-Death to be the villain of the game... and he STAYED the villain of the game! There was no last minute, "Actually, this guy was just a pawn for the real villain you know nothing about!" I felt it made the journey a lot more meaning when you have great characters, and a constant villain.
    Yes, that is something I like about the game too. ExDeath was the main villain and threat to everyone from beginning to end. I like too how much he interacts with the party and how he is always causing trouble and that his actions ended up in the death of several characters close to the main cast, which made things personal as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Polnareff View Post
    I don't know if the PSN version is any different but from what I remember the PSOne version (which came with VI as well) had really long loading issues most notably when going in and out of battles. It made it rather tedious to play it. Hopefully it is fixed on the PSN version.
    Yes, the PSN version is the Anthology version. In fact, can't you only buy Anthology and not FF V on its own? I'm thinking so because it's the only release for a Playstation console.

Also, I really don't remember the load times being bad at all. I mean, sure, if you play the super fast SNES version, then one more second of load time might seem weird. But it's nowhere near as bad as, say, FF IV in the Chronicles release. Man, just accessing the menu in Chronicles seemed to take more time than necessary. But yeah, everyone keeps saying Anthology "suffers" from load times. Not really. I don't see it. Except saving, but it's a PS1 disc game, what else can you expect? Hardly a fault worth worrying about in my opinion.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Good job system, great music, simple but effective story.

anyway the load times aren't bad in a vaccuum, but the game is built around there not being any load times anywhere, so when the PS1 version introduces them even for something as basic as displaying the menu, it gets pretty annyoing. A proper PS1 port of the game would have cached the next area ahead of time, and always kept the menu in RAM, because the PS1 has more than enough memory to do that sort of thing. However, no optimizing was done to the game and it comes off as sluggish.

the PSP version of FF4 does for example not have any increase in loading times even if you play it on an UMD, and even if the graphics are more advanced, because it has been better optimized for the console it runs on.
    Last edited by Mirage; 01-25-2015 at 11:34 AM.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?