Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Big Fat Aeris Spoiler

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It was spoiled for me, by a friend who claimed "don't bother levelling up 'Aries' because she dies." This guy hadn't got that far himself yet, but had been told by another friend.

I took it onboard, but figured the game would give me the potential to affect the outcome in some way.

When the scene finally came, it wasn't a huge surprise but it still hit me really hard, emotionally. I was quite attached to her as a character, and I was heavily invested in the game as a whole. I was 16, and it was the first big plot-driven RPG I'd every played - it was hard not to feel for this fictional heroine whose story I had shared for well over 30 hours.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I was spoiled so it didn't hit me as hard as it may have otherwise. I liked the character too and it still didn't hit me that hard, but to be fair it's hard for games to get sad emotions out of me. Only a few have managed to do it in the 20 years I've been playing video games.

Moogle

What the hell,man?!!! I just played this part this morning. I know I'm 17 years late to the party, but Aeris was my favourite :-( I really liked her! After she died and I had to do that stupid boss fight- which I had to use 2 Phoenix downs on because life had become not worth living, I promptly threw the vita across the bed to Bubba in utter disgust.

I mean what the hell?!

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I was spoiled. I was late to the party and people on EoFF spoiled it for me you jerks

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MissH View Post
    What the hell,man?!!! I just played this part this morning. I know I'm 17 years late to the party, but Aeris was my favourite :-( I really liked her! After she died and I had to do that stupid boss fight- which I had to use 2 Phoenix downs on because life had become not worth living, I promptly threw the vita across the bed to Bubba in utter disgust.

I mean what the hell?!
    I imagine this is the reaction the developers wanted out of people!

I played FFVII late due to my age, so I knew that she'd die. Having said that, it still affected me somewhat, and made me pretty sad.

I didn't feel like she was around long enough for me to care so I was kind of indifferent about her. So my reaction was kind of like "Oh...okay then."

Articles

I played the game about 10 years after it was released. So I knew pretty much everything about the game before I started.

I think it's comparable to what was the big Darth Vader reveal long ago. It has just lost impact over time and is not even considered a spoiler today, due to mainstream popularity.
    Everyone knows Darth Vader is Lukes father, and virtually every gamer knows "Aeris dies".

Kinda sucks, but that's the cost of mainstream popularity I guess...

I didn't know, that first play through was a odyssey. I remember being quite surprised, and a renewed hatred of Sephiroth.

I didn't know. I remember distinctly feeling my eyes burn when Cloud says his eyes are burning.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Unfortunately, I knew. I wish I didn't, because I feel that it would have been utterly amazing to witness for the first time.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Aww, I thought this was going to be about some secret fat version of Aeris someone found in one of the games.

Yeah, I had a friend at school who watched his cousin play though FFVII before I ever got it, and when I got it and was playing through it I talked to him about it at school. He asked what part I was at and I was like "I just got that girl in the pink dress with the staff" and he was like "Oh the flower girl in the church? YEAH (SPOILER)SHE DIES!"

I think the scene still did it's job adequately and the story wasn't diminished for me in the slightest. That FMV was the most freaking awesome cgi 13 year old me had ever seen and it had Sephiroth and it was totally awesome.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I remember seeing a flash parody that spoiled Aerith's death (I had only played X, but watched parodies of the series online to see what the other games were like). I didn't believe it at first, but when I looked it up, I was stunned.

Anyway, when I actually got my hands on the game, I knew she was going to die, but when it actually happened, I could tell the game was going to take a dark turn.
    Returners Represent!

Articles

I had already seen the death scene at a friends house and so when it came to my play through it didn't really have much of an impact, which is a shame cause it would have been nice to have one of the most important/memorable scenes of the game be a surprise.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The commercials for the game made it seem obvious she got killed so I wasn't exactly shocked or devastated by her death, it wasn't helped that there has been a death of a player character in every FF since FFII so its not like I wasn't waiting for it either.

With that said, despite the creative license with physics and the bad attempt at keeping the scene PG, I still found the scene to be well done. It is easily my favorite CGI scene from the game.