Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introducing People To Final Fantasy

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Introducing People To Final Fantasy

So my boyfriend Sam (who took an unsuspecting photo to illuminate this thread for me) is finally playing a Final Fantasy game! As a fan, I take great pride in introducing the series for him.

You can't really make it out so much with the photo, but he's playing Final Fantasy X. Taking the advice of this thread on board, I'm happy to report that he seems to be enjoying it so far. He finds the Sphere Grid unusual and weird to use, which I find odd because he's using the Standard Grid, which is a single path, practically. But anyway, he was pleasantly surprised with the combat. He initially thought the turn based combat would be boring and complicated but it turned out not to be the case!

He's just arrived in Kilika, now. He also said to me that he very briefly played FFXII with a friend, but found it incredibly slow. He only remembered it, because of "that slutty bunny lady". I'm sure you know who she is.

So anyway, how hard is it do you think to introduce someone to the series? Have you, and what sort of success did you have?

So far, he seems to be enjoying it. Have you had similar success at all? What sort of experiences have you all had?

Articles
    Blog Entries

I recently got my friend to try Final Fantasy VII. He's on Cosmo Canyon and had a temporary pause, but he said he'll continue now that we have summer break.

Other than that it's been mostly failures. Most of my friends don't take well to turn-based combat.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Your BF is getting through the game much faster than the Shaunas.

I basically explained to my wife that she was going to have to at least try to get into FF if we were to get married : )

I tried to start her with VII, because it's the best, but for someone not familiar with RPGs (and not willing to overlook the clunky graphics), it was a bit of a struggle. So we scrapped that and tried X, which she got really into for a while - I think she made it as far as the Calm Lands. Then Skyrim came out, and we both got totally hooked on that. She's actually played it more than I have...150 hours the first time and currently 100 or so on a second playthrough. Someday I'll get her back on the FF track.

I have forced enough people to do that. That or wrestling with a wild animal.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

At gunpoint, yes. I have multiple success.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Because my network of cousins and friends were on the up and up about FF games, very little introductions needed to be done aside from, "I have this RPG now! Yay! Let's figure it out!"

Good times.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

So I kinda hooked my wife on FF? She was a big fan of Baldur's Gate and other WRPGs, so starting VII was a bit hard for her (around that time I started BG - we both had quite the culture shock XD), but then she really loved the game. Then she tried VIII and loved that too. Then tried IX and didn't finish it - at that point she lost faith in FF, claiming they're all the same game. But sometime later she came back to JRPGs with Persona 3 and Chrono Trigger and now she's digging the hell out of Bravely Default, so I guess she's kinda back into FF...?

And I recently got my best friend hooked on the series as well. He's played quite a lot of JRPGs in the past, but somehow missed FF (most of the games he played were Dragonball games. Idk). So I made him start with Tactics Advance. Huge mistake. Turned out he hates grid--based combat. But now he's playing FFIV and loving it, so I guess it's all good

Blog Entries

I was able to convince my last girlfriend to play FFXII. She wasn't keen at first because she wasn't a fan of turn based combat. I explained to her that XII was a little different, and whilst it is technically turn based, it's quite seamless and fluid - that it felt more like an MMO rather than a traditional JRPG. Then I think she got into her head that it must've been exactly like WoW and became even more against the idea of trying it. I gave up.

Weeks later, she saw me playing.

Turns out I just needed to show her Balthier to get her hooked.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Mo-Nercy View Post
    I don't understand why this wasn't your first port of call.

Danny (Bubba) introuduced me to FF by "levelling" me up playing Pokemon first! It was part of his plan to then introduce me. I'm now part way through FFVII and I'm loving it!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo-Nercy View Post
    I don't understand why this wasn't your first port of call.
    I thought I was all the man she needed in her life.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Update on how Sam is doing on Final Fantasy X - He's nearly at Zanarkand already, and it's only been just a week and a half! He isn't even underleveled or such.

He's gone back home now, though. He'll have to wait till the next time he is over!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Dear Eoff,

Please help me. I feel like my SO is straying from the path of Final Fantasy and RPG's. I often see him playing games like XCOM or Metal Gear Solid, but when I offer him a good ol' fashioned Final Fantasy he says he "isn't in the mood". Now, he's even beginning to play Mario Tennis while rejecting games such as Xenoblade Chronicles.

I am worried that soon his bad gaming habits will lead him to worse hobbies, such as heroin and maybe even armed robbery. I don't know what to say to him. I checked his text messages and I often find him referring to "cars" and "engine lights" and I'm worried this is some 30 y/o man slang for drugs.

Please help,
    a concerned girlfriend