Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Default Tell me about Blue Mages in this game

Are they good? Is it difficult to teach them blue magic?

They're great because they can wield swords and look awesome. It's not too tough to pick up a few spells, though a couple are very near missable (maybe totally missable? not sure) and some may require the assistance of a Trainer. I've never tried to get every spell.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Blue magic, like all other magic in this game, is shared. If one knows a spell, everyone knows the spell whenever they set the right command abilities. I.e.: Set a knight with "learning" as their passive ability, while everyone else in the party are non-bluemages and without "learning" equipped. If the knight is hit by "white wind", you will learn the spell for everyone, but no one will have the right command ability set to use it. If you later change any of your characters to blue mage, or equip them with the "!Blue" command ability, they will have access to "white wind". The spells need to hit a character with "learning" equipped, or you won't learn it. A character whose main job is blue mage will automatically have "learning" active, even if you don't specifically equip that passive ability.

They are pretty good, blue magic offers a lot of nice utility, and also some spell elements that aren't easily available elsewhere, such as aero.
    Last edited by Mirage; 07-05-2014 at 06:04 PM.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

wow that makes getting aquarake and level 5 death so much less of a chore/game over chance.
    "Pretty mysterious Neptune of gameindustry, in the name of the Basilicom I'll punish you!"

Articles
    Blog Entries

Level 5 Death is actually really nifty. You can learn it in the library. It's often worth looking if an enemy type is vulnerable to it because an outright insta-kill is just damn good.

Goblin Punch is quite good as well. Tons of extra damage if your level is equal to your enemy's, and it also has one more use way later in the game as it is especially good in conjunction with one particular weapon.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

lv5 death is used for one of the best (and by one of, i mean the best) mid game grinding spots

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

ProTip: don't allow everyone in your party to be @ the same level. If your party get's hit w/ Lvl. 5 Death, everyone would die. Just make sure the character w/ Learning or is a Blue Mage is @ a level divisible by 5. Same goes for the other level spells.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

that tip is pretty pro

Another protip: They look like superheroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    lv5 death is used for one of the best (and by one of, i mean the best) mid game grinding spots
    You talking about RockStatues? Huh. I just always used Lightning Scrolls.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by metagloria View Post
    Lvl 5 Death could be alot less costly. I know you can get free Lightning Scrolls from the sea creatures, but then you'd spend a lot of time farming them as well.

I use Lvl 5 Death when there's a big party of Statues, but when there's only 2 I use gold needles. MP can be regenerated in the nearby inn & gold needles are cheap & sometimes dropped by the statues.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I never got around to using Blue Mages in this one. I always find enemy skills irritating (except in FFVII). Might have to give them a shot my next go through FFV, though. Reading these posts have swayed me a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by metagloria View Post
    Lvl 5 Death could be alot less costly. I know you can get free Lightning Scrolls from the sea creatures, but then you'd spend a lot of time farming them as well.

I use Lvl 5 Death when there's a big party of Statues, but when there's only 2 I use gold needles. MP can be regenerated in the nearby inn & gold needles are cheap & sometimes dropped by the statues.
    ...I just buy 99 Lightning Scrolls from Kelb Village. You make the money back dozens of times over from the RockStatues.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I found Level 5 Death to be the best way to farm Objets D'Art. The inn is free and like 10 seconds away and you can cycle all your characters to be Blue Mage for a bit to use up their MP.