Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Attention: EoFF Facebook Users

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Facebook allows me to...

1. Post photos in a nice easy to use format that most of my friends can see.
    2. Keep up to date with the Fat Chocobos Free Company & Linkshell.
    2a. Keep up to date with the Fat Chocobos Free Company & Linkshell's leaders.
    2b. Keep up to date with the Fat Chocobos Free Company & Linkshell's gardeners.
    3. Keep up with family at the other end of the world.
    4. Keep up with friends from high school.
    5. Keep up with friends from work.
    6. Keep up with friends from Danielle's work.
    7. Keep up with EoFFers.
    8. Keep up with old EoFFers that don't frequent EoFF anymore, occasionally dragging them back to EoFF.
    9. Keep up with old friends like ex-neighbours and ex-workmates and ex-holiday-peoples and whatnot.
    10. Get to know all of the above people better.
    11. Send links and reminders to Danielle.
    12. Keep up with EoFF's articles and whatnot.
    13. Promote EoFF.
    14. Organise people ahead of, during or after meetups/parties/whatever.

As for the whole "urgh family" thing, don't you guys set up groups for family/EoFF/work/etc? If I don't want someone to see something I don't let them see it.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I don't understand "urgh family", family is the entire reason I have a Facebook in the first place. xD

Blog Entries

What I don't really like is the relatively new "live stream" of everything that everyone is liking and commenting on. Which if I'm not mistaken, follows the privacy rules of whatever the source post is, and can't be turned off. Do I really need the world to know that I "liked" Joe's status about having his finger up his butt?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudane View Post
    Do I really need the world to know that I "liked" Joe's status about having his finger up his butt?
    Woah, man. These are deep questions you're asking here.

facebook has caused a little bit of problems in my personal life. nothing to serious though. some people that I didn't know well getting into my business and telling other people. just gossip type of stuff. wouldn't have ever been a problem if I didn't put it out there, I guess. but I didn't know that people could be such instigators that I knew in my personal life. guess I could call it life experience...?

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    A lot of people have added me on Facebook lately. I'm not sure why since I am dreadfully boring on FB. At least on Twitter I'm vaguely interesting.
    It's another channel to keep in touch with you in case you disappeared from EoFF!!! People like to keep in touch with Auntie Pike.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Facebook allows me to...

2. Keep up to date with the Fat Chocobos Free Company & Linkshell.
    2a. Keep up to date with the Fat Chocobos Free Company & Linkshell's leaders.
    2b. Keep up to date with the Fat Chocobos Free Company & Linkshell's gardeners.
    3. Keep up with family at the other end of the world.
    4. Keep up with friends from high school.
    5. Keep up with friends from work.
    6. Keep up with friends from Danielle's work.
    7. Keep up with EoFFers.
    8. Keep up with old EoFFers that don't frequent EoFF anymore, occasionally dragging them back to EoFF.
    9. Keep up with old friends like ex-neighbours and ex-workmates and ex-holiday-peoples and whatnot.
    I am curious, do you actually group all of them in your FB like that? Because to me, I read it as

Keep up to date with happenings in Fat Chocobo Free Company & Linkshell
    Keep up with friends
    Keep up with Eoffers

What I don't really like is the relatively new "live stream" of everything that everyone is liking and commenting on. Which if I'm not mistaken, follows the privacy rules of whatever the source post is, and can't be turned off. Do I really need the world to know that I "liked" Joe's status about having his finger up his butt?
    If you like it, why hide it?

Quote Originally Posted by jodymcdougle View Post
    facebook has caused a little bit of problems in my personal life. nothing to serious though. some people that I didn't know well getting into my business and telling other people. just gossip type of stuff. wouldn't have ever been a problem if I didn't put it out there, I guess. but I didn't know that people could be such instigators that I knew in my personal life. guess I could call it life experience...?

Some people just want to get attention from anywhere, like from the misery of others.

I know people having to "escape" from their own country to seek asylum in another country because of FB.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Christmas View Post
    I am curious, do you actually group all of them in your FB like that? Because to me, I read it as

Keep up to date with happenings in Fat Chocobo Free Company & Linkshell
    Keep up with friends
    Keep up with Eoffers
    I have a Facebook page for Fat Chocobos and an ongoing group chat with Fat Chocobos on Facebook. I have additional Facebook chats for the leaders of the Fat Chocobos and for the gardeners of the Fat Chocobos.

I have separate groups that I include/exclude on many of my status updates which vary depending on what the update is about. The groups include Work, EoFF, Family, Extended Family, Danielle's Family, Edinburgh and the more generic Other. =]

I separate all of thsoe things because they are all separate in my life... it's extremely rare that people from my work, Danielle's work, our non-work pals, EoFFers, family etc. will cross paths. They're all select kind of groups... so I see Facebook as a one stop shop for talking to a lot of different kind of people and keeping up with them, or catching up with them after a period of absence. In the end, I don't see any real downsides to Facebook for a social media site. I think it's about as versatile and productive as they can be. I'm not a "OMG FACEBOOK ERRY MOMENT" kind of guy, but I feel it's important to (and I'll quote Baz here) "work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle because the older you get, the more you need the people you knew when you were young."

I use facebook and put silly statuses and photos up but i would be happy without it. its pretty redundant and i don't care about 90% of what happens but there are people I talk to via fb chat that I simply wouldnt talk to otherwise. also there's the whole thing where no one tells people their life events anymore. "uhm yea asshole i got married 4 months ago why didnt you know the pics are on facebook"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Do I really need the world to know that I "liked" Joe's status about having his finger up his butt?
    Woah, man. These are deep questions you're asking here.
    Depends how deep his finger was!

Quote Originally Posted by Christmas View Post
    If you like it, why hide it?
    People gossip! "Have you seen that status he 'liked'? Eee, I wonder what else he likes up there"

And then there are employers - "oh yeah. I bet that's all HE does all day as well"

EoFF's Laundry Goddess ~*~Celes~*~'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

The only reason i keep my facebook is for the people on here that Im friends with, the people i work with that I know i can trust and who I enjoy working with, and people i went to school with who are pretty neat. Also for pictures and videos of my son for my family members but after a stupid mistake on my part that lead to my in-laws jumping down my throat, I won't be doing that anymore

how is it not that simple tho

thought i'd jump in with my opinion here

i don't like facebook

I keep a facebook tab open for two reasons:
    1) To watch for posts in a group that a few of my friends and I use to schedule game nights
    2) To relentlessly poke Pike and shion
    I may also make a random comment once in a blue moon, but I generally don't pay much attention to facebook at all.
    Anyway, where's that friend request at?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ugh you are awful with the poking

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Do people still poke? PG used to poke me like fifty times a day.