Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Destiny beta! 7/17 - 7/23

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Destiny beta! 7/17 - 7/23

d20130912-001_Amazon_LeftBB_FINAL._V356040032_.jpg

For anyone living under a rock, Destiny is Bungie's forthcoming multiplatform successor to Halo that blurs the line between open world shooters and MMORPGs. After a successful limited Alpha, Bungie and Activision are gearing up for a robust pre-order Beta which includes several story chapters and PvP multiplayer maps along with a huge explorable area, replete with dungeons, sidequests, dynamic world events, and flower picking (!). From what I understand, it's not too late to pre-order for beta access and Bungie are giving out 3 beta codes to each pre-order holder.

Anyone else plan on participating in the beta? I will likely have one of my PS4 codes up for grabs if anyone is interested, would love to team up with some EoFFers on this!

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Would like to get in on this, but I don't have a PS4 (or indeed any other console that can play it, excepting my 360 which I never take online anymore xD).

Someone give a trip report in a few days though. Counting on y'all, one of the original ideas for Halo was a FPSMMO so it'll be interesting to see how Bungie have done all these years later.

Blog Entries

My computer would definitely explode if it tried to play this, but I can hardly wait to see gameplay! One day I'll have a computer that can play it, right?

FFXIV Character

Viadana Solacaire (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by KentaRawr! View Post
    My computer would definitely explode if it tried to play this, but I can hardly wait to see gameplay! One day I'll have a computer that can play it, right?
    Sadly, it's a console exclusive. But maybe one day you'll get to play it.

Also, I am excited to do this. The Alpha was fairly enjoyable and I'm looking forward to playing this beta. I should also have 2 other codes for PS4 owners, I believe.
    what kind of nation should we build? a good nation? a nation of plenty? a nation of muffled joy?

The Nerd Who Knows Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am doing this. Super stoked.

Alas, I am and XBoxOner, so I can't play with you PlayStationers.

<PaperStar> live fast, die young, bad plefs do it well

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KentaRawr! View Post
    Sadly, it's a console exclusive. But maybe one day you'll get to play it.

Also, I am excited to do this. The Alpha was fairly enjoyable and I'm looking forward to playing this beta. I should also have 2 other codes for PS4 owners, I believe.
    In that case, I'm definitely not going to play it for a long while. :[

Blog Entries

console exclusive? ew.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Adequate View Post
    or indeed any other console that can play it, excepting my 360 which I never take online anymore xD
    That's because you're a failure Huxley and the UNSC doesn't appreciate failures.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Unsurprisingly, PSN imploded!

Finally got through all the store crashes, downloading now. Hopefully the game is as interesting as these loading screens:

BsxDdPbIYAExyZQ.jpg

Not only do you have to get through the PSN minefield, you also need a spare 13 gigs for the Beta Download.

I'm still torn on this, and I'm not sure it's worth a multi-hour download just to try out.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I just finished downloading so it should be less than an hour... not bad all things considering!

I'm streaming my Hunter right now, just started: www.twitch.tv/bolivar33

Well, watching Bolivar play has been enough for me. How utterly disappointing. I heard so many people talking about this game as "a new genre/evolution of gaming". And yet it's just another First Person Shooter.

I mean, that's fine for people who like that sort of game (and I know there's a lot of such people). And it does look like a really nice FPS. But given how much hype it's gotten, I was expecting something more, something deeper.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I was able to experience all the content yesterday and reach the Beta's level cap. Skyblade's right, Destiny is not going to take away the sins of the world but what you have instead is a very special game that combines a number of elements in an unprecedented and unique way. Its gorgeous, fun world feels so alive with enemies, dungeons, and other players off in the distance to interact with. Halo fans are going to fall in love but I suspect Destiny will reach beyond the typical shooter crowd. The combat just feels more like an RPG, at times Skyrim while exploring beautiful landscapes, at times World of Warcraft, delving into dungeons on raids with your friends.

The multiplayer is all Halo. The gamechanger is the character super abilities and the need to manage ammo for your heavy and special weapons. I've always been more of a Counter-Strike and Call of Duty guy but once your get the hang of it, it's very addicting and the maps are absolute eye candy. I could easily see a lot of people playing Destiny just for the multiplayer.

I'll likely hold off for now until the full game comes out but I can definitely say this is the big game for Holiday 2014.

My brother has been playing it practically non stop since I finally got it downloaded (stupid PSN kept crashing or whatnot). I only played the intro, but I really enjoyed what I played, and I really like what I see from him playing.

The more I think on this game, the more I appreciate it. It is stunningly gorgeous, and it does seem to exist as a shooter/RPG/open world hybrid (I'm going to look into things more to see how well it does on the RPG elements). Which is great. I mean, I loved Mass Effect. That's what Destiny is currently most reminding me of, but with far more refined gunplay. I do wish it had a decent control interface (ie: mouse and keyboard), but it is still a fantastic looking title that will be huge this holiday season, I'm sure.

I just don't get the hype about how revolutionary it is.