• Almost never.

0 0%
  • Never.

1 5.26%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you replay games or move on?

Default Do you replay games or move on?

Hey there guys!

I wonder if you like to replay your old games either just when you feel like it/periodically or perhaps if you even do multiple challenges in your games to give your favourite games new perspective.

Or do you belong to the kind of people that play game once and never touch it again and simply move on?

You see I myself am hardcore replayer and I love doing challenge runs on many games. I seriously have games I can NEVER grow tired of for a long time. I do realize that that way I am perhaps missing on many new experiences so for the past year and half I tried REALLY hard not to replay, rewatch (in case of movies, serials and anime), really I am forcing myself. But I am really the kind of guy that hates changes and getting out of his comfort zone. I almost feel like I have Asperger syndrom due to this (not to offense anyone who actually has it).

And I am feeling like I can't force myself much more to not do something I really like. But is it really that bad in this case?

Well discuss and tell me what's your opinion, I am really curious!

Articles
    Blog Entries

If the game is something I really enjoy I'll go back and play it again from time to time if the replay value is good. Some games even require you to replay it to unlock more stuff like the Metal Gear games, for instance. I can't tell you how many times I have replayed games like Monster Rancher, Mass Effect, Game Dev Tycoon, BattleTanx, Final Fantasy, and the list just goes on and on. Sadly, I haven't had as much time to replay new games I play as I used to, since I don't have time to play anything outside of the games I review.

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

For most games, once I beat it, I'll leave it alone. However, sometimes I will play a second or third time if I really enjoyed the game.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I replay games all the damn time. To the point where I only rarely play actual new games.

Quote Originally Posted by Karifean View Post
    I replay games all the damn time. To the point where I only rarely play actual new games.
    You, I like you.

It depends on the game.

RPGs I really like I'll play through again every couple of years (or, sometimes, I'll replay them three or four times back to back then never touch them again), but, for the most part, I don't replay RPGs. When I do, I tend to do challenge runs of them, such as a white wizard run of FF1, low level natural magic FF6 game, or random characters in Romancing SaGa 3.

That said, platformers and action games I enjoy I tend to replay fairly often. Pit-Pot, Legend of the Kage, 8-Bit Sonic 1, Shatterhand, 16-bit Sonic 2, Mega Man 1, 4, X2, and Rosenkreuzstilette, in particular, come to mind as games I replay a lot.

Blog Entries

Depends! I'm currently playing FFVII for the umpteenth time. But for the most part nowadays? No. If I can't get hundreds of hours in a game in the first place I'm not very happy. I just can't get into games for the story anymore, I want something I can play everyday for months. And I hardly ever buy games unless there on a crazy cheap sale on Steam so the ones I do buy had better last me.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I love replaying, I'm a firm believer that games should be appreciated, not consumed. Unfortunately, there's a perfect storm of factors deterring me.

Between cheap games on Steam sales, free games from PlayStation Plus, and a steady stream of releases across the devices I own, I'm drowning in content and can hardly squeeze in a replay when I'm surrounded by new experiences to surprise me. Conversely, having a career and a fiance leaves me with little time to game anymore, the Vita is far and away the system I use the most, due to my commute.

I hinted at it above but I believe our gaming culture has become too consumerist. We judge each console and the health of the industry by its steady stream of titles and the press is more like a glorified buyer's guide, with the bulk of their reports announcing new games, chronicling their development and reviewing them once released. It creates a frenzied mentality where we're constantly pre-ordering and running through games for the sake of clearing through our backlogs. I remember one critique leveled against Polyphony Digital is that they dont release Gran Turismo games fast enough. This mentality undermines the spirit of artistry in this medium and our ability to really go back and appreciate what developers achieved.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    I love replaying, I'm a firm believer that games should be appreciated, not consumed. Unfortunately, there's a perfect storm of factors deterring me.
    I agree.

I remember one critique leveled against Polyphony Digital is that they don't release Gran Turismo games fast enough. This mentality undermines the spirit of artistry in this medium and our ability to really go back and appreciate what developers achieved.
    Come on Bolivar you got admit that it took forever for Gran Turismo 5 to come out; only The Last Guardian and FFXV have beaten it.

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post

Come on Bolivar you got admit that it took forever for Gran Turismo 5 to come out; only The Last Guardian and FFXV have beaten it.

D
    U
    K
    E

N
    U
    K
    E
    M

FOREVER

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I replay games when I feel that I have forgotten what they felt like, or what they were about. Or if I got an idea of playing it in a more exciting way than I have previously done.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I replay the fairly often, depending on the game

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Developers who don't include New Game+ should be shot. Long live Dark Souls/Dragon's Dogma!

With regards to just normal replays from scratch, I used to do it a lot, but now I just don't have time for it all.

Blog Entries

When it comes to a lot of things, I feel like I have the opposite problem. Instead of going on binges on one thing, I go on binges on a bunch of related things to the point where I can't fully remember one piece of work over another. I do this all the time with books once I get in a "reading mood." It's always at or near to 1 book per day. It's not that I remember each book's more prominent details after the fact; I just really enjoyed experiencing it and didn't mind buzzing through it.

With games, this kind of mood doesn't really work out because I always want to go to a new thing before the game's done. I'm having a rough time forcing myself to finish Bahamut Lagoon, for example. It's not that it's a bad game. It's actually really good! I just find myself wanting to play Final Fantasy Tactics... and then Fire Emblem... and then all the things!