Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What games can you speedrun?

Default What games can you speedrun?

I'm not so much talking about RPGs here, although if you're one of those folks who can lay hands on the Excalibur 2, godspeed.

At a 24-hour video game party last fall, I sat down and blasted through Mega Man Legends in 2:18, and I'm confident I can do better. At another gamer festival this past weekend, I sat down intending to see how quickly I could beat Spyro the Dragon, but got distracted by one of the bands. I've also beaten Super Mario World in 17 minutes, which I think has to be pretty close to a record since I took the shortest possible path and didn't die.

What games can you sit down, pop in, and blast through in a matter of minutes/hours?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I used to be able to 100% The Lion King (all secrets and powerups) for SNES in about 40 minutes but I definitely can't do that anymore

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.

My current fastest time to get everything 100% is 3 hours and 40 mins. I've seen people do it faster but I'm still pretty happy with it!

Well I never really liked speedruns, I just hate the pressure that time is ticking away each second but at the end of the last year I actually did FFIX Excalibur II run and got it in around 11:15 in PAL version (that's around 10 hours NTSC, damn 50hz vs 60hz!). I actually have a journal about it here in the FFIX subforum.

Other than that I pretty much didn't do any speedrun but I consider doing ODINS (One Day In, No Save) challenges for each of the classic FFs eventually, so maybe that will count a little then.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I've never tried, but I could probably do Ocarina of Time decently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

My record for new game Dark Souls is about 3 hours and 20 minutes. One day I'll do better! On ng+ I've blasted through in under hour and a half I think.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

i don't like doing them, but i like watching them, just to pick up tips and secrets i didn't know of
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Blog Entries

I haven't tried, but I reckon I could do FFVIII. It'd be hard to resist the temptation of playing Triple Triad for hours on end though.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Definitely not! I like to enjoy and take games slowly, so I probably could never do it.

I do enjoy seeing people blitz through games though - I'm always amazed at what they can do!

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The only game I've ever gotten good enough to probably speed run was the first Metal Gear Solid.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

No games. I cannot speedrun

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Used to bash out Metal Gear Solid 3 speedruns nightly for a while at university. On European Extreme I think I managed to get under the two hour mark with 0 kills and 0 times discovered. The favourite run I ever did was a Very Easy 1 hour 35m with 0 kills, 0 times discovered, 0 deaths, 0 damage taken, 0 food eaten run.

The difficult parts are the bosses.

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by metagloria View Post
    I've also beaten Super Mario World in 17 minutes, which I think has to be pretty close to a record since I took the shortest possible path and didn't die.

What games can you sit down, pop in, and blast through in a matter of minutes/hours?
    Apparently the world record is <10 minutes. This guy has a video for 10:15.

Metroid is also pretty good for speedruns, but I'm not the best at them. I think I could finish fusion in <1 hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shauna View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by metagloria View Post
    I've also beaten Super Mario World in 17 minutes, which I think has to be pretty close to a record since I took the shortest possible path and didn't die.

Apparently the world record is <10 minutes. This guy has a video for 10:15.
    Yeah, I looked this up a few days after posting this. 9:51? Good gracious. How even. Reminds me of when I used to be "really good" at minesweeper (Expert in 89 seconds!), except the world record is like 40.