Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Redeem yourselves, England!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Redeem yourselves, England!

So the tale always went back home in Aus that the folk up in England drink their beer warm. I passed it off as a rumour, or a joke, just more ribbing that Aussies give to the Poms. But naught an hour upon setting my feet onto English soil what am I served?! Warm beer. It was like it had been sitting in the sun for a good ten minutes before they brought it to me.

Now, I've talked it over with Tara, and I'm perfectly willing to accept that this was Heathrow airport, I'm sure they see a lot of traffic, and maybe they don't wait for their beer to get completely cold before they serve it out of the tap. Also, the English ale I ordered wasn't available so they gave me a 'Guest Ale', so I haven't actually tried an English beer while in England yet.

So have at it UK'ers. Suggest me your favourite beers that I should try while here. Specify whether I should be drinking it on tap or if it holds up out of the bottle (try not to include something that will be super hard to find on tap if you don't want me drinking it out of a stubbie). I am perfectly willing to forgive this initial warm beer incident if you don't lead me astray with these suggestions. Otherwise I'm taking this news back down to convict land with me and we'll all laugh at you (even more so).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    I am perfectly willing to forgive this initial warm beer incident if you don't lead me astray with these suggestions. Otherwise I'm taking this news back down to convict land with me and we'll all laugh at you (even more so).
    Too late. Laughing already.

Drink a Foster's. I don't reckon there's a single Aussie out there that's done so.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Well speaking for Huxley as a UKer he is going to tell you to go to Montana instead and get some of our local brews

Articles
    Blog Entries

When I was in USA I actually had a really nice local Californian beer, it was great but the bar we got it from very rarely had it on tap. So yeah,I have no gripe with USA's brews (apart from their odd fascination for 'lite beers' I guess).

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

huxley couldn't find his own arse with both hands, let alone know what a good beer is. last time he was talking about drinking beer it was budwieser which automatically negates any opinion anyone may have on beer.

if you're drinking ale in the uk it is definitely going to be warmer than beer, majority of ale is kept out of the fridge because it ruins the flavour! lager beer or that kind of stuff IDK 'cause I ain't drunk any in England for about 10 years. Well not the really common stuff anyway.

My favourite beer in England, especially in summer, is Old Golden Hen. amazing tipple, really miss it now that i'm out of the country. very crisp and refreshing and has definite hints of tropical fruits, never saw it on tap in my local area but out of the bottles it's great anyway. definitely needs to be ice cold out the fridge so get on that. if you're not a fan of sweet beers might want to give it a miss tho, leans more toward that end of things. it's ale cousin, old speckled hen, is a pretty nice drink, much deeper and stronger taste to it.

a lot of my local ale is quite hard to find outside of the area so I'm not sure if it'd be available where you are, but another drink that I enjoyed a lot was Shepard Neames 1698, this is a strong ale, again very deep and quite bitter ale. goes well out of the fridge as well (never actually seen it on tap).

Blog Entries

I like Budweiser. >

Also- people actually drink Foster's? I've never tried it. Something about the really fat short can is off putting. That's the only way it's sold here. I don't think I've ever seen a 6 or 12 pack of cans or bottles. Just the fat single cans.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Budweiser is the worst. The absolute worst.

Would not drink warm beer.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by DK View Post
    huxley couldn't find his own arse with both hands, let alone know what a good beer is. last time he was talking about drinking beer it was budwieser which automatically negates any opinion anyone may have on beer.
    Pretty sure last time I was talking about budweiser it was to say it's okay in the UK (not amazing, just decent) but absolute dog piss in the US

If you don't think Big Sky Brewery makes the best booze upon God's good earth though, you're just wrong, don't matter how brummie you are.

Blog Entries

Budweiser is yummy and y'all sux0r.

Blog Entries

"Guest Ale" is just another synonym for Real Ale, Cask Ale, call it what you will but it probably was English.

Cask ale isn't usually cold as in "condensation forming on the glass" cold (like a Fosters would be), but it's usually served cool or a sort of neutral "not really cool or warm" temperature. If it's literally warm, then that's pretty much a crime

A beer is only as good as the place that serves it. Most of the crap pubs have been wiped out by natural selection (aka. the double dip recession with extra suck that we just had) but of course, those overpriced minimum effort airport bars aren't going anywhere.
    If in doubt with a cask ale (hand pull, to give it yet another name, as they pull the beer through using those massive lever pumps, you see) ask to try a sample first. Pretty much any pub serving cask ales will do that (unless they suck and deserve to die, but see previous point about the positive parts of the recession).
    I sometimes also ask if anyone else has been drinking it. If you're the first, a good pub will pull some through first, but some will just give you the warm beer that has been sat there in the pipes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mo-Nercy View Post

Drink a Foster's. I don't reckon there's a single Aussie out there that's done so.

But it'ss Australian for beer!

Quote Originally Posted by noxious.sunshine View Post
    Budweiser is yummy and y'all sux0r.
    and basically not beer. I'm pretty sure they don't even really use hops. It's a hops extract. Any cheap american beer is gmo/chemical filled BS that in all actuality is not beer. Gotta drink craft beers in the states if you want anything "good" I usually go with a Long Trail Blackberry Wheat although I preferred them when they were seasonal as opposed to now where they are brewed all year round. Or for my really local beer Harpoon which is brewed in my home town I go with the Raspberry Ale.

I hardly drink (been about 10 months since I had a drink last) but, I would like to try a nice brew if I were to ever got to the UK.
    Last edited by escobert; 07-16-2014 at 10:43 PM.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Colbert

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    Budweiser is the worst. The absolute worst.

Would not drink warm beer.
    You better get used to it, shortcake, if you still plan on living in Europe.

Also, Amstel Light is the worst beer, followed my MGD.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't drink beer so it's no problem for me

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I have never heard of this warm England beer thing before - and nobody I know has anything good to say about a warm beer. The dregs are the worst, I hear.

Lucky I don't drink beer regardless.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Lagers and other y drinks obviously are drunk cold because they are literally urine and the coldness masks the piss.

Proper ales and stouts should be drunk at room temperature, because they actually have a flavour that can be tasted and enjoyed.