Thread: Do you think XI is almost over?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Dancing Chocobo Do you think XI is almost over?

Not that I don't believe they wouldn't give it a proper send off, but I rarely hear any new announcements for this game anymore cause everyone is focused on XIV. While I am sure FFXI's servers will stay alive and well for a few more years to come, I was curious to see if anyone felt that SE might be thinking about sending the game off proper and then just keep the servers open until interest dries up.

They are still doing a lot of development, it's just not in mainstream media anymore. I always get lots of emails showing lots of new content and updates happening in the game.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

pinchpinchpinchpinchpinch ScottNUMBERS's Avatar

Far from it.

They put in a decent update with battle content, story, quests and quality of life improvements every month. This game is showing no signs of dying down. It will be going strong for years to come - it has a loyal subscription base that clings to it for dear life. The only time it was thought the end could be near was upon FFXIV's release, online users at any time went down to 80-150 per server, even then they were still releasing content (had the numbers stayed that way however, it will have ended pretty quickly). Now that the excitement for FFXIV has died down, you will see a much healthier 400-2500 online users per server at any time, these figures have been stable for half a year now.

I don't ever intend to quit. I tried to quit once, and found myself spending much more than £11 a month buying other games to pass the time spent while at home.
    Staring at my sig will not induce epileptic fits.

A themagicroundabout sig, by themagicroundabout.

Articles

I see the emails for it every now and again. I'd played 14 before playing 11, so 11 didn't feel that good to me. I'd never checked any MMO games out before now and it seems like it would be more populated 5 or so years ago that is is today. Maybe I just missed the boat on this one.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I'd be surprised if they shut it down within 5 years from now.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I feel some of you are missing the point, I'm talking about creating a final expansion to tie up Vana'diel's story. I mean even I felt in my original post that should the final chapter be made they would still support the game until interest really dried up. This isn't about ending the game period, this is about closing the story or myth arc of the game. There would probably be updates even after this but I'm thinking more in terms of a final expansion.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

SE knows that the players will stop paying pretty soon if they stop maintaining the game, so no, I don't think they'll stop making content for the game in the coming 5 years. What final expansion is needed to tie up the story?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm thinking more in terms of a final grand adventure to Vana'diel.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Oh I'm pretty sure the seekers of audolin is that final adventure. That thing's not over though. Like in WotG, they're spreading the story missions out over like half a forever. They'll probably have battle content updates for several years after the story missions are over, though. They might have mini-scenarios too, like they've done in the past.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well there you go, answer give.

pinchpinchpinchpinchpinch ScottNUMBERS's Avatar

It will be some time from now if it happens (4years+) but I think another expansion is possible if their subscription base holds steady. When Seekers of Adoulin was released a decent chunk of players come back to the game to try it out. Unfortunately they made very some bad decisions. Specifically, trumping the mythic/relic/empyrean weapons (which took millions of gil and months to create) with weapons that rained from the sky.

They have recently started introducing loads of QoL improvements that the players have been requesting for years. The Jobs classes are also getting some very considerate balancing. The classes have been unbalanced since the game's servers went up. Given these improvements it would be a shame if they did not make another expansion in an attempt to grab players back to a game that has been knocked into shape.

tl:dr: Maybe, not sure, possibly, I hope so.
    Staring at my sig will not induce epileptic fits.

A themagicroundabout sig, by themagicroundabout.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Can you still play the game on consoles?
    I like Kung-Fu.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Yes, but the newest expansion isn't available on PS2 outside of Japan.

FFXIV Character

Twinkle Belle (Hyperion)

Quote Originally Posted by ScottNUMBERS View Post
    Specifically, trumping the mythic/relic/empyrean weapons (which took millions of gil and months to create) with weapons that rained from the sky.

I heard a lot of Japanese ppl quit the game after this little 'update' years of hard work made obsolete instantly. I heard rumours they were going to rebalance this and upgrade those weapons to something comparable to the base lvl dmg on npc obtainable base weapons from Adoulin.... one day!

Hopefully they don't wait too long!

FFXIV Character

Celestia Yasuhiro (Gilgamesh)

Was going to buy this game off steam today, still am I guess, only FF I haven't played.
    I always get mixed messages some say it's dead, some say it's still lively, but I digress, a decade and still going, wow.

#Gamergate
    Supporter.